Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:43 am
BTP

Programs: VS Gold, BA Silver (gold for ~10y 'til recently!)
[QUOTE=Finland Station;35990099]Don't let that stand in the way of your passing judgment on the incident.

I have been very careful not to pass any judgement at all; if you read what have written, you will see that I have "surmised", said what "seemed" to have happened, etc. etc. I have not "concluded" nor "judged" anything.

Which, of course, might not prevent you from concluding that I had!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BTP
Nothing "woke" (or even wrong!) with suggesting one considers that which one has written.

But I have already said what I believe to be the underlying reason for this.

We can't draw any meaningful conclusions from the fact that you have never had the misfortune of being threatened with arrest for complaining in the course of your travels - it might be that you complain as forcefully as I do (or more so) but travel less; or that I complain more forcefully than you (but still lawfully); or luck/randomness; or something else!
If during the course of your complaint, the possibility of arrest comes up, then it is highly unlikely to lead to a successful outcome.

Two questions:

1. Do you find it normal that you are so often threatened with arrest?
2. Do you find it happens to you in other spheres of life other than travel?

PS. Oh, and a third question:

3. Do you wear red trousers?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I think the adage of "old money doesn't have to shout about it" (or similar) sums this chap up. He's a quite brilliant lawyer by all accounts but thinks he's above those in charge on the aircraft. Some of us (me) have relatives in higher places and more influence than he, I can assure you they rather die than act like he did.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by BTP
I have been very careful not to pass any judgement at all; if you read what have written, you will see that I have "surmised", said what "seemed" to have happened, etc. etc. I have not "concluded" nor "judged" anything.
Let's see...

Originally Posted by BTP
And, of course, the additional genius in BA's handling of the original matter is that they have not only made an enemy of a senior lawyer, but also now a law maker (well law amender maybe)!

Well done (again), BA!
Conclusion as to BA's handling of the incident (based on a conclusion that the new Lord was the victim of overbearing staff).

Originally Posted by BTP
It seems to be a feature of this wokeist, crybully world in which we live, that there is a creeping attempt to criminalise forcefully arguing in favour of one's interests!
Conclusion as to the facts supporting your view that this is an example of "the wokeist (sic), crybully (sic) world in which we live".

Looks to me like a classic case of expressing an opinion on what you advance as the facts. Of course, if you are telling us that you don't know any facts, upon which to base any opinion, then that may assist in assessing the value that can be attached to the opinion.
lorcancoyle, lloydah and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:10 pm
BTP

Originally Posted by andrelux
If during the course of your complaint, the possibility of arrest comes up, then it is highly unlikely to lead to a successful outcome.

Two questions:

1. Do you find it normal that you are so often threatened with arrest?
2. Do you find it happens to you in other spheres of life other than travel?

PS. Oh, and a third question:

1. No in a "normal" world but, sadly, yes in this wokeist/crybully one! (BTW I would not describe as "often" something which has happened ~5 times in ~a decade)
2 & 3 - no comment, as thread drift (somewhat)!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:12 pm
BTP

Originally Posted by lloydah
I think the adage of "old money doesn't have to shout about it" (or similar) sums this chap up. He's a quite brilliant lawyer by all accounts but thinks he's above those in charge on the aircraft. Some of us (me) have relatives in higher places and more influence than he, I can assure you they rather die than act like he did.
He is free to do (or not) as he pleases (or doesn't), within the law, just as your relatives are
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:15 pm
BTP

Originally Posted by Finland Station
Let's see...

Conclusion as to BA's handling of the incident (based on a conclusion that the new Lord was the victim of overbearing staff).

Conclusion as to the facts supporting your view that this is an example of "the wokeist (sic), crybully (sic) world in which we live".

Looks to me like a classic case of expressing an opinion on what you advance as the facts. Of course, if you are telling us that you don't know any facts, upon which to base any opinion, then that may assist in assessing the value that can be attached to the opinion.
This is an internet forum; you are free - as are others - to value my opinions as much or as little as you choose - as am I yours (and theirs!)
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BTP
1. No in a "normal" world but, sadly, yes in this wokeist/crybully one! (BTW I would not describe as "often" something which has happened ~5 times in ~a decade)
2 & 3 - no comment, as thread drift (somewhat)!
Five times?? That does seem rather a lot. I wonder if one was to do a poll on here asking how many people had been threatened with arrest, how many people would say it even happened once!!

I’m just starting to wonder if I’m being trolled …..
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:20 pm
BTP

Originally Posted by andrelux

Like this man:

Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Two years on and this thread still delivers. If only he’d also been proven to try and eat a McDonalds in First in the intervening two years this would be even better…
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's also interesting how many people are willing to draw conclusions about the original affair for which there is limited/no evidence.
good advice, perhaps don't.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by BTP
He is free to do (or not) as he pleases (or doesn't), within the law, just as your relatives are
No he is not:

301. A barrister must have regard to paragraph 104 and must not:
(a) engage in conduct whether in pursuit of his profession or otherwise which is:
(i) dishonest or otherwise discreditable to a barrister;
(ii) prejudicial to the administration of justice; or
(iii) likely to diminish public confidence in the legal profession or the
administration of justice or otherwise bring the legal profession into disrepute

If he had sought to use his professional status during this incident he would have faced disciplinary action methinks
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:27 pm
BTP

Just "skim watched" the video. Yes he was rude, but did that merit him being removed from the aircraft by armed police?

Being rude, arrogant, entitled, dislikeable, etc. are not attractive traits. But neither are they crimes.

Anyhow, an interesting discussion, but one I shall exit now!

Safe and happy flying all!
Cheers,
BTP
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Saladman
Five times?? That does seem rather a lot. I wonder if one was to do a poll on here asking how many people had been threatened with arrest, how many people would say it even happened once!!

I’m just starting to wonder if I’m being trolled …..
Remember, this is five times WHILE TRAVELLING. It specifically does not include any other activity, and the myriad possibilities for "forceful yet lawful" complaints in those as well (shops? public utilities? local and national government bodies? the list is endless).

The total must easily run into several dozen
@BTP must surely be a parody account as the alternative picture I have is of an angry little man, chuntering away and powerlessly waving his fist at a world so different from the imagined 18th century he'd really like to be living in, when Britain ruled the world and the fuzzy-wuzzies knew their place.
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737
What will his title be? Lord Hissy Fit?
Sir Hiss, surely…?

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Sir_Hiss

LCY8737 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.