Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by BTP
Interesting to read this thread now for the first time!

It's also interesting how many people are willing to draw conclusions about the original affair for which there is limited/no evidence.

I don't know what happened, but I gladly surmise that the KC argued forcefully in his interests, which after all is his job, and which the BA CC entirely wrongly regarded as him being disruptive/abusive or whatever, hence the ultimate escalation of the captain returning to stand, and police being called.

It seems to be a feature of this wokeist, crybully world in which we live, that there is a creeping attempt to criminalise forcefully arguing in favour of one's interests!

I have several times been threatened with arrest for arguing - forcefully but lawfully - in the course of my travels, against some plainly (to me) wrongful action or inaction on the part of staff (BA (twice), Swiss, Heathrow Express and UKBF). UKBF at LCY was the most amusing - I dared him to carry through with his threat of calling the police to have me arrested (I thought they had powers of arrest?). He meekly backed down!
it is interesting that you, possible quite rightly, criticise people for drawing conclusions based on little to no evidence, but go on to do exactly that in favour of this individual.

Whilst it is interesting that you go through your travels daring an official to arrest you, personally, I find being reasonable and non-argumentative tends to work quite well for me. Ultimately, very few people go to work to do a bad job.

Happily woke here.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:19 am
BTP

Programs: VS Gold, BA Silver (gold for ~10y 'til recently!)
And, of course, the additional genius in BA's handling of the original matter is that they have not only made an enemy of a senior lawyer, but also now a law maker (well law amender maybe)!

Well done (again), BA!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:21 am
BTP

Originally Posted by navylad
it is interesting that you, possible quite rightly, criticise people for drawing conclusions based on little to no evidence, but go on to do exactly that in favour of this individual.

Whilst it is interesting that you go through your travels daring an official to arrest you, personally, I find being reasonable and non-argumentative tends to work quite well for me. Ultimately, very few people go to work to do a bad job.

Happily woke here.
Each to their own, no-one has a monopoly on the "right" way to live one's life

But I did not "conclude", I "surmised"
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by BTP
And, of course, the additional genius in BA's handling of the original matter is that they have not only made an enemy of a senior lawyer, but also now a law maker (well law amender maybe)!

Well done (again), BA!
That's an interesting view. Are you suggesting that BA should put up with disruptive behaviour from a passenger on the basis that s/he might become a member of the House of Lords at some point in the future? Integrity might point to a different answer.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BTP
I
I have several times been threatened with arrest for arguing - forcefully but lawfully - in the course of my travels, against some plainly (to me) wrongful action or inaction on the part of staff (BA (twice), Swiss, Heathrow Express and UKBF). UKBF at LCY was the most amusing - I dared him to carry through with his threat of calling the police to have me arrested (I thought they had powers of arrest?). He meekly backed down!
Would it be overly woke to suggest that you reflect on the highlighted phrase?

I have on occasion found myself having to complain about "wrongful action or inaction" but I've never once been threatened with arrest as a result.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LCY8737
What will his title be? Lord Hissy Fit?
Lord Banner of DYKWIA
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:28 am
BTP

Originally Posted by Finland Station
That's an interesting view. Are you suggesting that BA should put up with disruptive behaviour from a passenger on the basis that s/he might become a member of the House of Lords at some point in the future? Integrity might point to a different answer.
No, of course I'm not suggesting that.

In this case, we don't know that there has been disruptive behaviour from a passenger - only that BA appear to have acted in a manner consistent with them believing this.

I don't believe that real disruptive behaviour has occurred. As I wrote, I believe that BA have acted overzealously towards a passenger forcefully arguing their position - which (if so) they were wrong to do - and (again if so) will have made them an enemy in a "high place". (Until Labour get in and abolish the Lords, of course!)

Last edited by BTP; Feb 11, 2024 at 10:34 am Reason: typo/syntax
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BTP
Interesting to read this thread now for the first time!

It's also interesting how many people are willing to draw conclusions about the original affair for which there is limited/no evidence.
I thought that too. Apparently in the early part of the thread he was an all round decent chap and that the crew were rather belligerent. BA were quite obviously in the wrong and well done to the QC for standing up for his rights.

Rather inconveniently the truth got out from witnesses on the plane and a video I seem to recall, and it turned out that he wasn’t an all round decent chap at all, he was actually rather unpleasant and he swore at the crew. Who, it transpired, weren’t belligerent at all but were the rather unfortunate scapegoats of a ground mess up and consequently had to face the wrath of someone whose intellect and common sense were hugely outweighed by their mouth.

Originally Posted by BTP

I don't know what happened, but I gladly surmise that the KC argued forcefully in his interests, which after all is his job, and which the BA CC entirely wrongly regarded as him being disruptive/abusive or whatever, hence the ultimate escalation of the captain returning to stand, and police being called.

It seems to be a feature of this wokeist, crybully world in which we live, that there is a creeping attempt to criminalise forcefully arguing in favour of one's interests!
Hmmm. Not sure what you are trying to say there. He swore at the crew, itself a breach of Conditions of Carriage. It’s game over at that stage. If a barrister has to swear to put his point across then it casts a slight doubt on his professionalism and I’d say it’s probably not his job.

Originally Posted by BTP

I don’t know you from Adam (I imagine you have more clothes on) but to be threatened with arrest once is unlucky. To be threatened with arrest multiple times would suggest that maybe your people skills and diplomacy skills are not quite as honed as they should be?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:32 am
BTP

Originally Posted by andrelux
Would it be overly woke to suggest that you reflect on the highlighted phrase?

I have on occasion found myself having to complain about "wrongful action or inaction" but I've never once been threatened with arrest as a result.
Nothing "woke" (or even wrong!) with suggesting one considers that which one has written.

But I have already said what I believe to be the underlying reason for this.

We can't draw any meaningful conclusions from the fact that you have never had the misfortune of being threatened with arrest for complaining in the course of your travels - it might be that you complain as forcefully as I do (or more so) but travel less; or that I complain more forcefully than you (but still lawfully); or luck/randomness; or something else!

Last edited by BTP; Feb 11, 2024 at 10:33 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BTP
No, of course I'm not suggesting that.

In this case, we don't know that there has been disruptive behaviour from a passenger - only that BA appear to have acted in a manner consistent with them believing this.

I don't believe this is has occurred. As I wrote, I believe that BA have acted overzealously towards a passenger forcefully arguing their position - which (if so) they were wrong to do - and (again if so) will have made them an enemy in a "high place". (Until Labour get in and abolish the Lords, of course!)
I guess you didn’t view the video of the incident.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 am
BTP

Originally Posted by Saladman
I thought that too. Apparently in the early part of the thread he was an all round decent chap and that the crew were rather belligerent. BA were quite obviously in the wrong and well done to the QC for standing up for his rights.

Rather inconveniently the truth got out from witnesses on the plane and a video I seem to recall, and it turned out that he wasn’t an all round decent chap at all, he was actually rather unpleasant and he swore at the crew. Who, it transpired, weren’t belligerent at all but were the rather unfortunate scapegoats of a ground mess up and consequently had to face the wrath of someone whose intellect and common sense were hugely outweighed by their mouth.

Hmmm. Not sure what you are trying to say there. He swore at the crew, itself a breach of Conditions of Carriage. It’s game over at that stage. If a barrister has to swear to put his point across then it casts a slight doubt on his professionalism and I’d say it’s probably not his job.

I don’t know you from Adam (I imagine you have more clothes on) but to be threatened with arrest once is unlucky. To be threatened with arrest multiple times would suggest that maybe your people skills and diplomacy skills are not quite as honed as they should be?

I actually agree with much of what you write, Saladman, including that I (presently!) have more clothes on than Adam!

I didn't realise the KC swore at the crew. That is indeed a very bad move if he did, and I lose a very hefty chunk of respect for him if he did. I remember the well publicised case of David Mellor KC launching into an expletive-laden tirade at a London cabbie - same goes there. I am always extremely careful never, ever to do this in such circumstances.

I would say that the reason I have been threatened with arrest multiple times is that I forcefully but lawfully argue my case, and that the counter-party finds it easier to make some form of threat of arrest than either respond to my points properly, or remedy the underlying issue... very hard for anyone else to agree or disagree as they weren't there... but I do believe that wokeism/crybullyism is a growing problem in our world today. Others can take any view on this they wish!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:47 am
BTP

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I guess you didn’t view the video of the incident.
No! I will search it out later & view with interest!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I found something distasteful about this story two years ago. I have had the likes of him - especially one so-called Darling of Early Evening Telly swear and scream at me. It brought back memories of others whose self-importance demanded deference. All that said, I was not there then and so I can only rely on hearsay and gossip to relay the details of this seemingly unedifying experience, I do wonder what Mrs Banner and the two children went through then and afterwards with someone whose apparent arrogance knows no bounds.

All that was yesterday and yesterday is gone. Clearly he has got on with his life and good luck to him. Personally if I never hear of him again, I shall not grieve and he will not grieve for a single one of us as he neither knows nor cares two hoots about us,

May I say that I far prefer hearing what has happened to any of you - I feel that I am dealing with likeable people - rather than someone who makes me genuinely delighted not to be living in the UK. Enough said.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:58 am

I am no legal expert, however if the 'gentleman' in question were to act that way when a presiding judge ruled against him in court, he would not be in a position to swear and carry on the way he allegedly did. On an aircraft, regardless of who YOU are, the crew are the defacto 'judge' and what they say goes.
lorcancoyle and stewaran like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by BTP
No! I will search it out later & view with interest!
Don't let that stand in the way of your passing judgment on the incident.

Originally Posted by BTP
Wow.

Last edited by Finland Station; Feb 11, 2024 at 11:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.