Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PCR within 2 days of arrival into UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
We are scheduled to arrive at LHR on Wednesday (1 Dec) and depart the following Tuesday (7 Dec) with our two children. The idea of isolating in a hotel room with a 4 year old and 16 month old is horrible. We're weighing cancelling and are just so disappointed. Wouldn't it make more sense to require a PCR before departure instead of on arrival?
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by AHB260
We are scheduled to arrive at LHR on Wednesday (1 Dec) and depart the following Tuesday (7 Dec) with our two children. The idea of isolating in a hotel room with a 4 year old and 16 month old is horrible. We're weighing cancelling and are just so disappointed. Wouldn't it make more sense to require a PCR before departure instead of on arrival?
Regardless of what you might think is sensible or nonsensical you should be checking the regulations and act accordingly.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Running through new logistics…..

Going to London in a couple of weeks, and was just about to book the lateral flow test! Glad I didn’t.

Anything wrong/ against the new rules if I plan to do as follows:
  • Book 3-hr PCR test at Express Test at LHR as I arrive… going for business, so this option would guarantee results the same day.
  • Take the test upon arrival, then head out to my previously booked hotel via Heathrow Express.
  • Check in and isolate in my hotel room until I get the negative result.

I recall how in the past there were specific quarantine hotels to stay at etc. Now it seems there
is more of an honor system in place, for
as long as the arriving passenger has proof of a
paid PCR test appointment and fulfills that obligation?
flyerkit likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:03 pm

I’m arriving in EDI on Dec 2 and the express test at the airport only has two options for PCR testing - the fit to fly and PCR test only. Assuming I should book the PCR test only, is this correct?

I also have 3 hours in LHR transit, is it possible to get tested in transit?

Hope they are flexible if flight is delayed etc.

What a hassle after having booked and paid for my antigen already. But I get that safety comes first.
Parkdesigner likes this.

Last edited by olouie; Nov 27, 2021 at 8:14 pm
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:10 pm

I happen to be due to arrive back in the UK on Tuesday from Canada and have booked Express Test for arrivals T5 next day results. Definitely would have been happy to pay for the 3 hour test, but they don't offer it as an option for arrivals, only for departures.

I would be interested to see what would happen if I booked a 3 hour departure test and just used the lat flow arrivals test reference for the PLF. Rules state (or stated, haven't seen the new text yet) a PCR test. I can't see the difference - it may not be a dedicated arrivals specific test, but there is no mention of any requirement outside of a generic pcr test

I'll refrain from putting my thoughts down about what I think about Johnson and Co's ineptitude as it would get me banned. I do however still fully intend to travel for Xmas. 1 days additional quarantine isn't a deal breaker but I definitely would like to meet the UK government "experts" ....
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
We arrive back Dubai on Friday 3rd. Had booked a couple of LFDs for £12 from Simply Test Me. They’ve offered to refund. Now booked two PCRs at the Eurofins drive through at Heathrow. £39 each. We used them for Fit to Fly on the way to Dubai and we took the test at 10am and they’d sent the result by 1800 that same day, so let’s hope they can do similar.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
New Covid-19 PCR tests & isolation until result is negative rule STARTS after 4am on Tuesday, November 30
Nikko5, dgreen678 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA
Also testing passengers after they arrive seems rather idiotic - particularly since it appears that 61 passengers tested postive upon arriving in the Netherlands (and goodness how many others were infected on those 2 flights) - it would seem to be somewhat basic that passengers need to be tested before flying anywhere.
Agree. It would’ve been better to reinstate the pre departure PCR like before.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:13 pm

Silver lining?

Perhaps this current Omicron turmoil affecting trips is the twist needed for BA to extend status for April to June babies (please Exec Club gods, please… it’s all I want for Christmas)
JimEddie, binman and ibbitsc like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I just saw this on the news today. Does this new policy effectively make short trips not viable? What if someone is fully vaccinated but test positive after arriving? I'm guessing it'll be mandatory quarantine? If so, I think there goes any possibility of either going to the UK for a few days either for leisure or BA segment run.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Perhaps this current Omicron turmoil affecting trips is the twist needed for BA to extend status for April to June babies (please Exec Club gods, please… it’s all I want for Christmas)
Omicron is perhaps ruining any chance for me to make any tpac/tatl trips for the foreseeable future. I haven't left North America since February 2020. I would go to Singapore too with the VTL lanes, but the thought of testing positive and facing mandatory quarantine even for a short trip is preventing me from even doing that.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just saw this on the news today. Does this new policy effectively make short trips not viable? What if someone is fully vaccinated but test positive after arriving? I'm guessing it'll be mandatory quarantine? If so, I think there goes any possibility of either going to the UK for a few days either for leisure or BA segment run.
It’s viable if you also voluntarily test yourself before departure to avoid surprises. Home antigen tests are a cheap way to do that. I’ve been departure testing voluntarily for a year on all international trips.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
It’s viable if you also voluntarily test yourself before departure to avoid surprises. Home antigen tests are a cheap way to do that. I’ve been departure testing voluntarily for a year on all international trips.
What about my airfare? The rapid tests are less accurate. Let's say I do test positive 24-48 hours before departure. Then what? It still doesn't prevent you from testing positive after you arrive in the UK because you can still contract the virus on the plane.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:49 pm

What about my airfare? The rapid tests are less accurate. Let's say I do test positive 24-48 hours before departure. Then what? It still doesn't prevent you from testing positive after you arrive in the UK because you can still contract the virus on the plane.
That’s the testing process - working.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:02 pm

You can test a couple of times prior to departure. As carrotjuice mentioned, this is the testing process working.There is a risk we all assume when booking flights during covid. In case of a positive test, you should be able to rebook at a later date inexpensively or for free, or travel insurance may cover any losses.

Also, I’ve invested in a business class seat on long haul flights throughout covid, so contact with other passengers other than my family is minimal. We also avoid non household contacts and gatherings about a week prior to departure. It’s not a 100% guarantee, but does help.
lsquare, KeaneJohn and flyerkit like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
That’s the testing process - working.
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
You can test a couple of times prior to departure. As carrotjuice mentioned, this is the testing process working.There is a risk we all assume when booking flights during covid. In case of a positive test, you should be able to rebook at a later date inexpensively or for free, or travel insurance may cover any losses.

Also, I’ve invested in a business class seat on long haul flights throughout covid, so contact with other passengers other than my family is minimal. We also avoid non household contacts and gatherings about a week prior to departure. It’s not a 100% guarantee, but does help.
I understand what you guys are saying now. I think that booster shot can't come soon enough. Hopefully, I can get a Moderna for my third shot after getting double Pfizers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.