Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PCR within 2 days of arrival into UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Unless I am mistaken, the new rule only differs in that you need to stay in quarantine until you get the negative test, whereas previously you could roam. Is that right? I imagine the PLF will stay the same.
it has also changed from a simpler and cheaper Antigen (less then £20 from many suppliers) to a PCR (around £69 from the in person ones with results by 10pm following day to £99-119 for 3 hours results). This abs the quarantine measure means that someone that went away for the week end (like the wife and I were planning to next W/E) but needed to be at work on the Monday (where WFH is not possible), will have to either spend £99-119 for a 3 hours PCR test or miss two days at work..
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unless I am mistaken, the new rule only differs in that you need to stay in quarantine until you get the negative test, whereas previously you could roam. Is that right? I imagine the PLF will stay the same.
yes - unless there is some detail that only appears once we see the new rules.

basically assuming fully jabbed and non red list it’s:

- PCR instead of lateral flow for day 2
- self isolate until you have your -ve result of the day 2 rather than no self isolation at all.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:04 pm

Previously you're free to roam, and start self isolation only if your result comes back positive.

Going forward, you're to start self isolation immediately after doing the test, and free to roam only if the result comes back negative.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
How is this realistically supposed to work?

Day 2 test may be taken anytime on Day 0 (arrival date) or Day 1 or Day 2.

So someone arrives on Day 0 can go about freely on that day. Likewise on Day 1. And finally on Day 2, travel to a place to do PCR test (likely using public transport) then back to home or hotel, before starting self isolation? Don't think Boris or Sajid have thought through the execution and practical realities.

Unless all incoming travellers are compelled to do on-site testing at the arrival airport (imagine the queues at numerous UK airports, and the resultant logistics nightmare!) and put into isolation until results come back negative, this isn't going to achieve the intended outcomes of isolating potential positive passengers.
as for previous quarantine you are supposed to go straight into your chosen quarantine destination and are only allowed to go to a test centre. I think there is some hope that people will do remote testing/order postal kits. It is true however that it is not a solid approach compared to Italy for example, where they specify that you must not use public transport to go from Airport to quarantine destination and again to go to test centre.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

So someone arrives on Day 0 can go about freely on that day. Likewise on Day 1. And finally on Day 2, travel to a place to do PCR test (likely using public transport) then back to home or hotel, before starting self isolation? Don't think Boris or Sajid have thought through the execution and practical realities.

Unless all incoming travellers are compelled to do on-site testing at the arrival airport (imagine the queues at numerous UK airports, and the resultant logistics nightmare!) and put into isolation until results come back negative, this isn't going to achieve the intended outcomes of isolating potential positive passengers.
not sure what you mean. It’s self isolation until you get your negative day 2 result. There is no going around freely until you had your result. Basically it’s directly from the airport to your place of self isolation rather like before. You are likely to be able to take the day 2 anytime after arrival up to the end of day 2.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HP28
It seems like my trip to Paris will have to be cancelled.
Ours to Amsterdam for the 9 th time …… I can’t get another day off work
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold

my understanding is that you have to isolate on return until you get a negative PCR test result.
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Previously you're free to roam, and start self isolation only if your result comes back positive.

Going forward, you're to start self isolation immediately after doing the test, and free to roam only if the result comes back negative.
No. You must self isolate from arrival until you are in receipt of a negative PCR test result.
alex67500 and argonath like this.

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
as for previous quarantine you are supposed to go straight into your chosen quarantine destination and are only allowed to go to a test centre. I think there is some hope that people will do remote testing/order postal kits. It is true however that it is not a solid approach compared to Italy for example, where they specify that you must not use public transport to go from Airport to quarantine destination and again to go to test centre.
Remote testing adds extra lead time to send the PCR kit back. It's a convenient solution if you're able to roam freely until the results come back positive. But in the reverse scenario, people want the result to come back quickly, so they may end their self isolation quicker, hence may opt for onsite testing locations instead of relying on the postal service.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:09 pm

Just cancelled my long weekend trip to NYC next weekend as I can't take any more leave from work so waiting until the next day for a result is a no go, and can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to find same day ones. To be honest though the real reason is I just wouldn't enjoy the trip constantly worrying and checking the news every 5 minuted for any new changes.

In fairness to BA I requested the voucher for the booking and got it within 5 minutes.
Vaclav and HP28 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

you cannot go about freely until you do your test, You have to isolate from when you arrive until you get the result of your test, only expections will be to get from the airport to your place of isolation and to go to/return from your testing centre
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No. You must self isolate from arrival until you are in receipt of a negative PCR test result.
I see. But you're okay to take public transport (tube, trains, etc.) including connections, from airport to your place of self isolation? Or must be own transport (eg. taxi, car hire)?

Likewise if need to travel to testing location?
jmhendersonuk likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver
I assume they shut the arrivals lounge as well?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I see. But you're okay to take public transport (tube, trains, etc.) including connections, from airport to your place of self isolation? Or must be own transport (eg. taxi, car hire)?

Likewise if need to travel to testing location?
In the wacky UK way of doing things, public transport has been fine in the past.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Just booked a test at T3 forecourt for next week. £99 for results by 10pm next day. But a trip across London to get home to my isolation location (home).
HP28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.