PCR within 2 days of arrival into UK

Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

PCR within 2 days of arrival into UK

I understand the UK government are going to impose a PCR test within 2 days of arrival into the UK due to the new strain.

Does anyone know when this comes into affect exactly? I’m travelling from EWR to LHR this Thursday
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It isn't known yet - although it is expected to take effect this week. Keep an eye on the UK arrivals thread on the coronavirus board for the latest updates.
corporate-wage-slave and HP28 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold
It hasn't been specified, though from this article it quotes the UK Govt. as saying "from next week" (https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...ariant-concern)

Usually they put in place 2 days from the announcement until the new rules take effect. I would safely assume you'd need a PCR test if you are coming on Thursday.
HP28 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
It hasn't been specified, though from this article it quotes the UK Govt. as saying "from next week" (https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...ariant-concern)

Usually they put in place 2 days from the announcement until the new rules take effect. I would safely assume you'd need a PCR test if you are coming on Thursday.
LHR transfers (nor leaving the airport) for other European destinations are exempt, right?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Vaclav
LHR transfers (nor leaving the airport) for other European destinations are exempt, right?
there is no suggestion that the rules will change for airside transits. currently there is no requirement for tests for airside transit and they are allowed.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by KARFA
there is no suggestion that the rules will change for airside transits. currently there is no requirement for tests for airside transit and they are allowed.
Thanks, that's what i thought.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Just wait till Monday to see the impact on BA share price. The wave of cancellations beginning now be a tsunami by Monday. Weekend trips and near Europe jaunts thrown into chaos. In my own case a 2 day Christmas market trip now requires at least 4 days leave. This despite being tripled jabbed. It’s insane!
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
well with no date mentioned the assumption has to be its more or less immediate

he can't come on TV and say ALL arrivals require a PCR test and then on Mondy say it won't start for a week

I just cancelled all my flights for a Wednesday arrival based on it starting more or less immediately

I will not be chuffed if they now say "from Dec 6th"
HP28 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

It seems like my trip to Paris will have to be cancelled.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver
I arrive on 29th and the onsite tests at Heathrow are filling up fast for the day 0 - 2 fully vaccinated PCR test - not much availability at T5 - but plenty at T4 long stay car park. I have booked one to be safe as results guaranteed by 10pm next day and not having to self isolate beyond Tuesday is appealing. However, already submitted passenger locator form with antigen test - so clarity would be nice!
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:35 pm

Looks like from next week, so possibly Monday but no earlier

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...-november-2021

Targeted measures will be introduced from next week as a precaution to slow down the spread of the variant while we gather more information. These are:
  • All international arrivals must take a Day 2 PCR test and self-isolate until they receive a negative result.
  • All contacts of suspected Omicron cases must self-isolate, regardless of their vaccination status. They will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace.
  • Face coverings will be made compulsory in shops and on public transport from next week. All hospitality settings will be exempt.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen678
I arrive on 29th and the onsite tests at Heathrow are filling up fast for the day 0 - 2 fully vaccinated PCR test - not much availability at T5 - but plenty at T4 long stay car park. I have booked one to be safe as results guaranteed by 10pm next day and not having to self isolate beyond Tuesday is appealing. However, already submitted passenger locator form with antigen test - so clarity would be nice!

Which test did you book? Do you mind sharing the link?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver
[QUOTE=HP28;33763762]Which test did you book? Do you mind sharing the link?

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a...activeFilter=1

it is the day 0 - 2 PCR test - £69
The _Banking_Scot and HP28 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Unless I am mistaken, the new rule only differs in that you need to stay in quarantine until you get the negative test, whereas previously you could roam. Is that right? I imagine the PLF will stay the same.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:01 pm

How is this realistically supposed to work?

Day 2 test may be taken anytime on Day 0 (arrival date) or Day 1 or Day 2.

So someone arrives on Day 0 can go about freely on that day. Likewise on Day 1. And finally on Day 2, travel to a place to do PCR test (likely using public transport) then back to home or hotel, before starting self isolation? Don't think Boris or Sajid have thought through the execution and practical realities.

Unless all incoming travellers are compelled to do on-site testing at the arrival airport (imagine the queues at numerous UK airports, and the resultant logistics nightmare!) and put into isolation until results come back negative, this isn't going to achieve the intended outcomes of isolating potential positive passengers.
feysul and HP28 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.