Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PCR within 2 days of arrival into UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:08 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So if one arrives on a Thursday and leaves on a Friday, what does one need to do. Self isolate and then leave the next day?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So if one arrives on a Thursday and leaves on a Friday, what does one need to do. Self isolate and then leave the next day?
yes, but as with all of Johnsons ramblings nothing was clear - apparently “Saj” will tell us next week, according to the buffoon.
Meanwhile travels plans and Christmas holidays thrown into confusion and worry for passengers and carriers.

And of course this is all before Europe and ROW start to impose their own entry requirements on 3rd countries and aliens as they too try to protect their populations.

If the EU for example, don’t change their current entry requirements, then it makes Johnson’s policy look like overkill. If they do, then overnight travel will be seriously curtailed. If you need 4 x PCR for a weekend in Europe and have to isolate there and when coming back back, it’s game over!

Bit of a mess
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
very likely same as it was until recently proceed directly to your hotel/home and self isolate there, next day proceed directly to the airport and leave.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:38 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
[QUOTE=dgreen678;33763772]
Originally Posted by HP28
Which test did you book? Do you mind sharing the link?

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a...activeFilter=1

it is the day 0 - 2 PCR test - £69
a massive 4% off with code BAOFFER
HP28 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: SE MM
I am arriving Friday morning, but have commitments starting from Friday lunchtime. What is the availability of fast turnaround (3 hour) PCR tests at Heathrow, so that I don’t need to self-isolate? The ones I see are for departures (e.g., fit to fly from express test). Is it ok to book these (a test is a test after all)? Just need the quick turnaround otherwise trip is not going to be worthwhile.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by SarahWest
I'm assuming that medical appointments will be allowed too but until full details of the new restrictions are published by the government I think it's safe to assume that assumptions are unsafe.
Id imagine only emergency medical appointments are allowed. If you’ve not had your negative result back I can’t see any hospital, doctors or dentists wanting a potentially covid positive patient amongst them especially if there’s other vulnerable patients around. That was the case with self isolation before but I guess it’depends on the details
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It seems only a few days ago the UK government was stating that the LFTs were as good as the PCRs Hey ho... .
Also testing passengers after they arrive seems rather idiotic - particularly since it appears that 61 passengers tested postive upon arriving in the Netherlands (and goodness how many others were infected on those 2 flights) - it would seem to be somewhat basic that passengers need to be tested before flying anywhere.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
There's a real charming naïf quality coming from this thread. I mean, fancy thinking we'd get anything specific and intelligible out of todays press conference.

Bless
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SarahWest
I'd expect reputable testing companies to offer a refund or voucher for LFTs cancelled because of a change in government policy. ExpressTest certainly does.
I’ve emailed Qured to request a refund of my day 2 rapid test
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
There's a real charming naïf quality coming from this thread. I mean, fancy thinking we'd get anything specific and intelligible out of todays press conference.

Bless
Was it that bad?
binman likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by flamengo
I am arriving Friday morning, but have commitments starting from Friday lunchtime. What is the availability of fast turnaround (3 hour) PCR tests at Heathrow, so that I don’t need to self-isolate? The ones I see are for departures (e.g., fit to fly from express test). Is it ok to book these (a test is a test after all)? Just need the quick turnaround otherwise trip is not going to be worthwhile.
Not sure of any fast test on arrival as previously there was test to release on day 5. No doubt there will be people willing to pay a premium for test on arrival with fast results.

with regards to booking the fit to fly test I’d be hesitant foe this as the booking reference is needed for the PLF. I do know the PLF knows the format of test references so you can’t just insert random numbers but I don’t know if it’s clever enough to determine test type. Also you risk being denied boarding if you are not able to provide the check in agents with proof of an acceptable test. If it’s not picked up there and is checked on arrival you’d be potentially making a false declaration on the PLF and subject to whatever penalty comes in.

id imagine the rules will be out within the next 36-48 hours and I suspect lots of fast track testing will be introduced to encompass people with needs like yours.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by CKBA
It seems only a few days ago the UK government was stating that the LFTs were as good as the PCRs Hey ho... .
Also testing passengers after they arrive seems rather idiotic - particularly since it appears that 61 passengers tested postive upon arriving in the Netherlands (and goodness how many others were infected on those 2 flights) - it would seem to be somewhat basic that passengers need to be tested before flying anywhere.
Its because a PCR test can indicate what the variant is. This new strain is a lot easier to spot when doing a PCR than previous ones. LFTs do not tell you what variant it is. This is the whole point of doing PCR tests in this situation, to try and see where the new variant is coming in from.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by binman
yes, but as with all of Johnsons ramblings nothing was clear - apparently “Saj” will tell us next week, according to the buffoon.
Meanwhile travels plans and Christmas holidays thrown into confusion and worry for passengers and carriers.

And of course this is all before Europe and ROW start to impose their own entry requirements on 3rd countries and aliens as they too try to protect their populations.

If the EU for example, don’t change their current entry requirements, then it makes Johnson’s policy look like overkill. If they do, then overnight travel will be seriously curtailed. If you need 4 x PCR for a weekend in Europe and have to isolate there and when coming back back, it’s game over!

Bit of a mess
Can we leave the overt political commentary to OMNI please?

Travel plans and Christmas holidays weren’t (100% correctly IMO) considered in the latest changes.
jerry a. laska and passy777 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by SonTech
Its because a PCR test can indicate what the variant is. This new strain is a lot easier to spot when doing a PCR than previous ones. LFTs do not tell you what variant it is. This is the whole point of doing PCR tests in this situation, to try and see where the new variant is coming in from.
Its almost as if the government, despite FTs lack of approbation, has a better idea what to do. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
As I said elsewhere, I'm not sure what would happen with having to take a PCR if you've had Covid previously.

The recommendations are not to take a PCR test for 90 days afterwards (although could vary source to source).

What if I had it 30 days ago and test positive? Am I supposed to isolate for potentially 2 months, if not longer?
TMW and flyerkit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.