Wiki Posts
Search

PCR within 2 days of arrival into UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I see. But you're okay to take public transport (tube, trains, etc.) including connections, from airport to your place of self isolation? Or must be own transport (eg. taxi, car hire)?

Likewise if need to travel to testing location?
same as before, you can take public transport if you need to. You are advised to try not to if possible.
HP28 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Raffles
In the wacky UK way of doing things, public transport has been fine in the past.
Or perhaps it’s a balance between risk reduction and imposing rules that many would flaunt, thus undermining them completely.

I don’t think the approach is wacky at all.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
it has also changed from a simpler and cheaper Antigen (less then £20 from many suppliers) to a PCR (around £69 from the in person ones with results by 10pm following day to £99-119 for 3 hours results). This abs the quarantine measure means that someone that went away for the week end (like the wife and I were planning to next W/E) but needed to be at work on the Monday (where WFH is not possible), will have to either spend £99-119 for a 3 hours PCR test or miss two days at work..
I've just cancelled my £19.99 lateral flow test for Tuesday and have rebooked a PCR at LHR T5. Slots were filling up so fast that I forgot to add the BA discount code, not once, but twice, as I've got another flight coming into LHR two weeks later. My meeting on Wednesday has now gone out of the window too as I won't have the result back in time. I expect I'll see the same high level of non-compliance with the mask mandate on the tube as before.
HP28 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=dgreen678;33763772]
Originally Posted by HP28
Which test did you book? Do you mind sharing the link?

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a...activeFilter=1

it is the day 0 - 2 PCR test - £69
thank you! Booked one for my Friday arrival from NYC
Markie, dgreen678 and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
only expections will be to get from the airport to your place of isolation and to go to/return from your testing centre
I'm assuming that medical appointments will be allowed too but until full details of the new restrictions are published by the government I think it's safe to assume that assumptions are unsafe.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Just to confirm, folks who are doing airside transfers still wont need to take a pre-departure per test? Transferring through LHR back to the US tomorrow, and I’ve only taken the required antigen test for vaccinated travelers
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
How flexible with appointment times are Expresstest at LHR T5 arrivals? If I have a flight ETA of 1000 and book a test for 1100 for example would it be possible to roll up earlier/later depending on actual time of arrival and time spent in the immigration queues?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
same as before, you can take public transport if you need to. You are advised to try not to if possible.
Including a domestic flight (on a separate booking to the intl arrival)?!
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by DrGee
How flexible with appointment times are Expresstest at LHR T5 arrivals? If I have a flight ETA of 1000 and book a test for 1100 for example would it be possible to roll up earlier/later depending on actual time of arrival and time spent in the immigration queues?
You'll be fine, just turn up after immigration and picking up your bags. It's been like that for as long as tests have been at the airport.
flyerkit and DrGee like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by DrGee
My belief based on having been for Expresstest airport tests twice recently (one at T3 and one at T5) is that they are quite flexible. On one occasion I arrived before my appointment and once after. Nobody mentioned it.
flyerkit and DrGee like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
People at the covid test scam companies prob jumping on the tables and handing cake out to each other after this announcement.

What about all the thousands that booked a LFT test and now they become useless and needing to book a new PCR? :/
MaxFlyer and binman like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by itisme
People at the covid test scam companies prob jumping on the tables and handing cake out to each other after this announcement.

What about all the thousands that booked a LFT test and now they become useless and needing to book a new PCR? :/
I'd expect reputable testing companies to offer a refund or voucher for LFTs cancelled because of a change in government policy. ExpressTest certainly does.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nikko5
Including a domestic flight (on a separate booking to the intl arrival)?!
yes, that was always allowed.
Nikko5 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
In the wacky UK way of doing things, public transport has been fine in the past.
To be fair most other countries are the same. I did quarantine in Austria a few months ago and (i) would have been allowed to take public transport (although I didn't in fact do so) and (ii) no one checked on me during quarantine to ensure I was following it (I was). I've heard Netherlands was similarly relaxed, to the point where a contact of mine out there stated that "quarantine in NL is a myth". So it seems the UK is in good company.

But, yes, very lax when compared with HK and Oz, but on balance I prefer the UK approach.....
flyerkit likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Ours to Amsterdam for the 9 th time …… I can’t get another day off work
mine to Germany on the 10th. God it’s depressing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.