Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: Some
Skipped the check in desk, security a bit backed up today so took probably 20 minutes to get through even with Fast Track, getting to the airport maybe 90 minutes before the fight is still OK if you have fast track and no checked bags, I probably wouldn’t cut it so fine otherwise right now though.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Duplicate
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by 13901
That was barking mad. I've seen photos from friends in Porto of fans behaving as if it was a normal away day in the sun, minus perhaps the worst vandalism. To have staged that game abroad when both teams were English, only because (as it's alleged) UEFA crooks couldn't be bothered to self-isolate once here is crazy.

And there's worse to come with the Euros.
By chance I had a flight into Porto the morning after the match, followed by a train to Lisbon. Train station was very busy with fans but very few wearing masks or distancing in any way. In contrast very few people outdoor in Lisbon were without masks. My flight home was from Faro, I thought there had been a governemnt warning against wearing masks outdoors there were so few people wearing them.
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Am currently in Lisbon - coming back on tonight’s BA503.

Tests are readily available from most pharmacies - €21 a pop with a full fit to fly certificate. We went to ‘Farmacia Duque Saldanha’ yesterday and were in and out in 15 minutes.

So yes, the BBC article quoting tests at €300 a pop and people struggling baffles me - rapid antigen tests are allowed and most pharmacies offer them.
I went to Lisbon airport on Thursday night, antigen cost £25 and I was back to the hotel in 15 minutes. In Faro on Saturday afternoon though I'd imagine some of the people in the queue when I passed are still there.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by K&C
I flew back yesterday afternoon and turned up earlier than normal 2hrs prior to departure. BA had 3 Club desks open and 3 Economy.
Initially when we arrived in the taxi it looked very busy but it was people queuing for covid tests outside at a pop up facility.
We were checked in within 15mins at the Club desks. Security again looked busy but fast track was available so through within 10 mins. Passport control was only about 5 mins. So 30 mins from curb to departures.
Same on Friday, I'd say some of the same people I seen in the covid test queue were still there when you got there, it looked horrific. I'd hand baggage only so avoided the check in, the entrance to fast track was closed, when I got to the boarding pass check he sent me down a seperate lane and was literally next through security, very impressed.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
FAO airport was totally fine yesterday for BA passengers .. I didn't see the Covid testing queue as we came in the rental car entrance by arrivals

Easyjet and Ryanair checkin queues were very lengthy, but BA's were fine ( maybe worse later when more flights running ) ... Security was quick ( Fast Track looks closed as stated, but when your BP scans for Fast Track at the entrance they send you down a special lane. - not much difference anyway as it wasn't that busy overall )

Probably 20 mins from the rental car drop off to get airside, including checked luggage

No sign of a lounge ( but given it used to be dreadful from my memory not missing much ) .. the new (?) post passport control departure lounge for non Schengen flights is pretty nice so plenty of F&B options and seating compared to my memory from a few years ago when there was very little after passport control.

Last edited by EvilDoctorK; Jun 7, 2021 at 1:14 am
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Less than five mins through security this morning

Last edited by Vgravity; Jun 7, 2021 at 3:16 am
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think the team at FAO did a great job on Saturday. They had a trainee actively managing the queues and at 14.45 they were holding back those arriving to check in for the 17.45 flight to allow those checking in for the16.45 flight to take priority. I'm sure that was irritating for those who arrived 3 hours early but it was necessary given the limitations on space within the tensa barriers. There was also a manager pro-actively talking to passengers who noticed I needed wheelchair assistance (broken foot) and arranged for someone to come and help me.

The check-in agent seemed relieved we had used Verifly so four fewer sets of documents to check but it probably only saved a couple of minutes and took longer than that to set up.

No time saving on arrival but having the papers sorted by PAX and clipped together rather than a big jumble of papers meant we were through in a couple of minutes.

Once again I do recommend Qured for return to England testing. The testing station outside FAO looked chaotic and I would not have wanted to risk it.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Once again I do recommend Qured for return to England testing. The testing station outside FAO looked chaotic and I would not have wanted to risk it.
Portugal's pharmacies are one of Europe's biggest buyers of antigen tests, they are widely available for 20 to 30€. Here is a partial list of those available in the Algarve:
https://cms.visitalgarve.pt//upload_...E_4_6_2021.pdf
There are a lot more other sites not on this list, just 14 are listed for Faro itself but there are over 30 pharmacies offering testing.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Portugal's pharmacies are one of Europe's biggest buyers of antigen tests, they are widely available for 20 to 30€. Here is a partial list of those available in the Algarve:
https://cms.visitalgarve.pt//upload_...E_4_6_2021.pdf
There are a lot more other sites not on this list, just 14 are listed for Faro itself but there are over 30 pharmacies offering testing.
Thank you, your information was really helpful. If anyone is flying from Faro to Berlin, currently an antigen test is sufficient, but if you can prove you are double vaccinated more than 2 weeks ago you don’t need any test.
Our British vaccination card was sufficient to fly from Portugal to Germany.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Flying to Portugal later.

BA.com is rejecting our traveldocs, seemingly due to the lack of a negative test, even though this is no longer required for NHS COVID Pass holders.

Please can someone confirm we won't have a problem at BA check-in, as double-vacc'd NHS pass holders without a negative test?

If you have an NHS COVID Pass... you do not need to have a COVID-19 test to enter Portugal"
- https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

Here is a link to the Portuguese government information. It refers to third county vaccination certificates but does not say explicitly whether the UK is included.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Flying to Portugal later.

BA.com is rejecting our traveldocs, seemingly due to the lack of a negative test, even though this is no longer required for NHS COVID Pass holders.

Please can someone confirm we won't have a problem at BA check-in, as double-vacc'd NHS pass holders without a negative test?

- https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
FWIW. When I flew to Portugal last Tuesday, the BA requirements listed the NHS COVID pass as valid for entry to Portugal, this was consistent at check-in.
However on my arrival at Faro the immigration officer only wanted to see a negative COVID test result.
As the rules weren't completely clear in the days before I departed, I did have a test as a precaution, so I showed it and the officer was happy.
It shouldn't currently be necessary according to all the information I'm reading. Take printed copies of all the details with you.
Best of luck and have a good trip.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
From Timatic [QUOTE].Examples of accepted proof include the NHS Covid Pass, an EU Digital Covid Certificate, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention vaccination card, or a vaccine certificate. [/QUOTE
But with rules forever changing I guess it takes time for the various officials to get up to speed.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by camdentown
FWIW. When I flew to Portugal last Tuesday, the BA requirements listed the NHS COVID pass as valid for entry to Portugal, this was consistent at check-in.
However on my arrival at Faro the immigration officer only wanted to see a negative COVID test result.
As the rules weren't completely clear in the days before I departed, I did have a test as a precaution, so I showed it and the officer was happy.
It shouldn't currently be necessary according to all the information I'm reading. Take printed copies of all the details with you.
Best of luck and have a good trip.
Interesting, i have a trip planned for later in the to/from Portugal, wondering if anybody has made it through from the UK without the need for a COVID test since this post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.