Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA and Portugal

If today's reports in the press end up being true then PT could be downgraded to Amber. As this is virtually the only viable route for BA (and do doubt many other UK based carriers) this move could be catastrophic for the industry. I admit to having a self interest here. I'm travelling to FAO on Sunday and there are 4 x A321 BA jets from LHR alone and they look pretty full.

If they are indeed relegated to Amber, can anyone remember the governments musings about movements? I seem to remember them saying there would be more notice than last year. A week rings a bell but I can find reference to it online......
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:54 am

It does baffle me. We are travelling to the USA. The 7-day rolling case average is exactly the same for USA & Portugal. USA is obviously amber, though. Also over 43% of America's population is fully vaccinated whereas only 18% of Portugal's is. The other two criteria are genome sequencing and variants which I don't see any difference between the two. If I gave you just the figures and asked which country was green and amber, it'll be backwards.

It's annoying but I'm satisfied they're following some form of logic. I wanted either USA upgraded to green or Portugal downgraded to amber due to what I said above. Otherwise there is an underlying, untold narrative.

What is frustrating is, like yourself, if Portugal does get downgraded, is that your travel insurance is suddenly voided. The government need to step in here.

I guess we'll know more tonight with dates. I've heard 10th June and also 7th June which makes sense as it's exactly 3 weeks after 17th May rules took affect. However, not much notice, at all.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
If today's reports in the press end up being true then PT could be downgraded to Amber. As this is virtually the only viable route for BA (and do doubt many other UK based carriers) this move could be catastrophic for the industry. I admit to having a self interest here. I'm travelling to FAO on Sunday and there are 4 x A321 BA jets from LHR alone and they look pretty full.

If they are indeed relegated to Amber, can anyone remember the governments musings about movements? I seem to remember them saying there would be more notice than last year. A week rings a bell but I can find reference to it online......
The government have said that if there's a sudden change in any green list country it can be moved to amber or red immediately and without warning.
The problem we have is that the government haven't announced the detailed criteria of their system. Portugal has seen a rise in cases lately but it's still relatively low. If we knew the number of cases per 100,000 in a given period that qualified for green (just one of the criteria but an important one) we'd know the likelihood of Portugal changing.
Personally I think the press are just scaremongering. It's what they do best.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schind
The government have said that if there's a sudden change in any green list country it can be moved to amber or red immediately and without warning.
The problem we have is that the government haven't announced the detailed criteria of their system. Portugal has seen a rise in cases lately but it's still relatively low. If we knew the number of cases per 100,000 in a given period that qualified for green (just one of the criteria but an important one) we'd know the likelihood of Portugal changing.
Personally I think the press are just scaremongering. It's what they do best.
I hope you're right. Also what Ben says rings oh so true. I also seem to recall something about a countries status being deemed 'at risk' which basically means a move down is very possible......I may have been imagining this or just thinking aloud what should happen!
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Ben1989
What is frustrating is, like yourself, if Portugal does get downgraded, is that your travel insurance is suddenly voided. The government need to step in here.
The green/amber/red shouldn't matter for most policies - it's the FCDO travel advice that they usually go on. e.g. currently there are Greek islands that are Amber but not advised against travel and "normal" insurance is now viable. You could also buy from Battleface or Staysure etc.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kingcole974

I have to believe Portugal probably goes on the "green watchlist" after today rather than straight to amber, the whole point of the green watchlist (which currently has no countries on it...) was to flag countries at risk of moving off the green list in the very near term and avoid sudden changes like last year. If a pretty small uptick in cases in Portugal leads to it moving straight to amber then I'm not sure any country will ever be added to the green watchlist!

I have variously seen 7th and 10th reported as the date the changes take effect, I don't recall anything in the past where the government committed to a fixed period.

If Portugal goes amber without another major tourist destination going green (i.e. somewhere bigger than Malta) then BA volumes will absolutely take a serious hit and I wonder whether e.g. Galleries Club South at T5 starts to close again.
James91 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:41 am

Hi. I'm having to think ahead of this afternoon's decision as I start my journey to London tomorrow and onwards to Portugal Saturday. I've packed, had my PCR test. I know it's not illegal to travel to an Amber country, but if I decided to still go and quarantine at home on return, am I going to have problems at LHR on the outbound? That's of course aside from the fact that I guess many of the flights would suddenly be cancelled. Pretty gutted to have to consider all of this, but after the last year or so, why am I surprised. Thanks for any advice from the ones on here that know!!
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. I'm having to think ahead of this afternoon's decision as I start my journey to London tomorrow and onwards to Portugal Saturday. I've packed, had my PCR test. I know it's not illegal to travel to an Amber country, but if I decided to still go and quarantine at home on return, am I going to have problems at LHR on the outbound?
No
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi. I'm having to think ahead of this afternoon's decision as I start my journey to London tomorrow and onwards to Portugal Saturday. I've packed, had my PCR test. I know it's not illegal to travel to an Amber country, but if I decided to still go and quarantine at home on return, am I going to have problems at LHR on the outbound? That's of course aside from the fact that I guess many of the flights would suddenly be cancelled. Pretty gutted to have to consider all of this, but after the last year or so, why am I surprised. Thanks for any advice from the ones on here that know!!
Hi,

I do not think you would have any problems at heathrow on the outbound as there are no restrictions on travel unless flights get cancelled.
I would check on your insurance cover though.

Regards
Tbs
Ps got to be quick these days in replying .thanks karfa
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I have to believe Portugal probably goes on the "green watchlist" after today rather than straight to amber, the whole point of the green watchlist (which currently has no countries on it...) was to flag countries at risk of moving off the green list in the very near term and avoid sudden changes like last year..
Green watchlist. That's the term I was trying to remember. Totally agree that if PT went straight to Amber then GWL status will never happen to any country.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:10 am

The trouble of being ahead in vaccinations is other countries need to be at the same stage to effectively be able to travel there (relatively) freely.

The only issue you'll have northeastflyer is that you must have booked a Day 2 and a Day 8 test before you arrive back. Of course, this is all assuming the rumours are true. It could turn out to remain on the green list.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben1989
The trouble of being ahead in vaccinations is other countries need to be at the same stage to effectively be able to travel there (relatively) freely.

The only issue you'll have northeastflyer is that you must have booked a Day 2 and a Day 8 test before you arrive back. Of course, this is all assuming the rumours are true. It could turn out to remain on the green list.
absolutely. But just to clarify with regard to their question, this won’t be an issue when flying out and won’t be checked at any point at NCL or LHR on the outbound.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:26 am

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate it. Time will tell! Any idea when the announcement is happening?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks for your replies. Appreciate it. Time will tell! Any idea when the announcement is happening?
Hi,

Probably around 5PM based on previous announcements iirc.

Regards
tbs
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Probably around 5PM based on previous announcements iirc.

Regards
tbs
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.