Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

August 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I booked an IST-LHR-BOS ticket for August - what do folks think the odds are that it'll actually fly? LHR-BOS seems to be flying daily even now, but IST-LHR seems a bit riskier.
It would depend on the next red list update which would most likely be announced later this week.
The case numbers in Turkey have significantly decreased and I think that Turkey would be removed from the red list either in this update or the next one.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:59 pm

How far out is BA generally making schedule adjustments? We have plans to fly to Italy last week of August from the US via LHR. Now there is a recent quarantine requirement for UK arrivals into Italy. I'm concerned that requirement will be in place when we travel, but also concerned that BA may cancel either our leg-one LHR bound flight, or connection onward to FCO.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by freebeernwine
How far out is BA generally making schedule adjustments?
The notion of "generally" does not exist any more. BA have gone through several versions of how far in advance - or how close to the last minute - they would adjust schedules due to covid. On balance, it is safest to assume that nothing can be taken for granted, and it is indeed perfectly possible that BA will cancel one of your legs should more travel restrictions be imposed should a new wave be confirmed.

There is not much you can do but relax and hope for the best (bar choosing to fly nonstop as it's likely that "some" e.g. JFK-FCO will continue operating). As for travel restrictions themselves, everything is indeed possible. When it comes to covid, 2 months is enough for a terrible situation to become good or an apparently under control situation to become bad again.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Does anyone have data points on how far in advance BA updates their schedule? I have CDG-LHR-CPT and JNB-LHR-ORD booked for the end of September, returning the beginning of October. With South Africa on the UK's red list and with cases on the up there, I would be absolutely shocked if BA stuck to their current timetable. The issue I have is that I have a safari booked and if I do not notify them 60 days out, I forfeit a nice chunk of change. Any chance BA will make updates ahead of 60 days out or should I not risk it and cancel the safari?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hew204
Does anyone have data points on how far in advance BA updates their schedule? I have CDG-LHR-CPT and JNB-LHR-ORD booked for the end of September, returning the beginning of October. With South Africa on the UK's red list and with cases on the up there, I would be absolutely shocked if BA stuck to their current timetable. The issue I have is that I have a safari booked and if I do not notify them 60 days out, I forfeit a nice chunk of change. Any chance BA will make updates ahead of 60 days out or should I not risk it and cancel the safari?
BA is more likely to make changes closer to your date of departure. However, if you have booked your ticket before 22 June 2021, BA would rebook you on LH/LX/OS just in case BA doesn't operate the routes you're willing to fly.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
BA is more likely to make changes closer to your date of departure. However, if you have booked your ticket before 22 June 2021, BA would rebook you on LH/LX/OS just in case BA doesn't operate the routes you're willing to fly.
Thanks! I booked in November 2020. Is there anything published about them rebooking on LH/LX/OS that I can reference if I need to talk to an agent?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hew204
Thanks! I booked in November 2020. Is there anything published about them rebooking on LH/LX/OS that I can reference if I need to talk to an agent?
Yes, it's on BA Trade Support and the agents would be aware of it.
Although, you would need to wait for your flights to be officially cancelled and there should be no available BA flights on the day you would be flying so that you could be rebooked on LH/LX/OS.

hew204 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:11 pm

Is there a list anywhere of what routes that BA are currently operating? I've tried searching as I've seen one before but can't find it!

EDIT: answered my own question by pulling a list of BA flights from TheBASource, and then analyzing it in Excel. Thank you!

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jun 29, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Anyone have a feel for US West Coast plans for early Aug? I know that for most of July SFO is down to one flight 3/4 days a week, but August hasnt been trimmed much at this point - presume this is likely over the next few weeks?
Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Anyone have a feel for US West Coast plans for early Aug? I know that for most of July SFO is down to one flight 3/4 days a week, but August hasnt been trimmed much at this point - presume this is likely over the next few weeks?
Thanks
Optimism on the UK-US travel corridor has dried up with the hope it was up and running by August completely gone. Talks continuing into July/August but I'd be staggered if it's a starter before September now. Complications with different government departments in the US arguing about it, Biden admin not being desperate to reopen with the Delta variant in the UK and the fact that AZ isn't an approved vaccine in the USA.

I've got a California trip booked for November and I'd say my chances are about 60/40 to be able to go.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Thanks
We’re due to depart on honeymoon on 2nd Aug to US & we’ve pretty much given up on it. 18 months of planning down the tubes. We’ve booked a backup (with free cancellation) to Seville, Cordoba, Granada & Valencia instead.

Meant to be going to Vegas at end of September for my 40th & that’s looking extremely unlikely too 😞
MM00LL2 and minichr1s like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Tirana increasing to double daily in August. This route seems to be performing very well with very high load factors throughout (~90%)
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Optimism on the UK-US travel corridor has dried up with the hope it was up and running by August completely gone. Talks continuing into July/August but I'd be staggered if it's a starter before September now. Complications with different government departments in the US arguing about it, Biden admin not being desperate to reopen with the Delta variant in the UK and the fact that AZ isn't an approved vaccine in the USA.
I'm booked mid August and I'm starting to look for alternatives. God knows who will let us in at that point with how our COVID infection rates are going though.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:34 am

My SFO on 20th Aug which was still showing as A380 has been changed to 777. No surprise really but unlikely I’ll be able to go anyway
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A positive note ... LHR-ANU (Antigua) looking firm. Our return leg on 11 Aug has just acquired an allocated airframe (77M = Club Suite!) and cheaper CW fare buckets selling well. Now up to £5,873! from c. £1,800 a week ago!
And current active C-19 cases? Nil
Tobias-UK and The_Editor like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.