Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

August 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by ringingup
The current decree is valid until 30th July, but there hasn't been a new one yet nor has it been extended. It should be a matter of hours. I'd be surprised if they remove the requirement to self isolate.
They're leaving it quite late then! Is that typical or does this mean it's likely to expire?
Last time I flew to Italy it turned out it was the day this quarantine was due to start. Nobody at immigration mentioned it (direct flight from London), so based on what you say the onus is on the traveller to report to the authorities even on a direct flight? I hadn't even realised the rule had existed until I was there for two days so just carried on as normal as I was only there for three days!
I think there's now a PLF you need to fill in for Italy which presumably mentions this requirement, but that didn't exist back then either.
Italy can be so random sometimes!
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by layz
They're leaving it quite late then! Is that typical or does this mean it's likely to expire?
Leaving things until the last minute wouldn't be that unusual for an Italian government. I'd be very surprised if they don't extend it further. The numbers in the UK are not much better than when it was introduced. I am hoping that will remove the need to self isolate if you're fully vaccinated, but at this stage there is no recognition for vaccines administered outside of the EU...

Originally Posted by layz
Last time I flew to Italy it turned out it was the day this quarantine was due to start. Nobody at immigration mentioned it (direct flight from London), so based on what you say the onus is on the traveller to report to the authorities even on a direct flight?
Yes, that is the case. It was the same when I was in Italy over the Christmas period and they introduced a quarantine + test requirement for those who had already arrived from the United Kingdom in the previous 14 days.

It could certainly be more efficient AND they could make rules clearer on arrival, even by just handing out leaflets or having posters. However, most of what we've been asked to adhere to during this pandemic has depended on our good will as citizens and can be hardly enforced, even when there are laws in place.

While I can comprehend why you might need to report yourself, I can't get my ahead around how complicated they make it. It's difficult to find out what you need to do and who you need to contact. Once you manage to let the local health authorities know, then in some regions you have to wait for them to contact you to book you in for a PCR test. Other regions seem to be a bit more flexible and you can book your own test on day 5, which can be an antigen test.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:20 am

BA 2203 to Cancun on the 24th just cancelled, never going to get a honeymoon at this rate
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by minichr1s
BA 2203 to Cancun on the 24th just cancelled, never going to get a honeymoon at this rate
I can't imagine how frustrating that is. I lost out on going to watch the Olympics, but I think of that vs missing out on my honeymoon, I'd have taken the honeymoon.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
I can't imagine how frustrating that is. I lost out on going to watch the Olympics, but I think of that vs missing out on my honeymoon, I'd have taken the honeymoon.
Vegas cancelled first, then we managed to get a great deal to Cancun on the same dates only for that to have the flight scrubbed. There appears to be a Sunday flight still, but cant get through to CS atm.

As an aside, how do entry visas work for date changes? Just do them again with new dates?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Vegas cancelled first, then we managed to get a great deal to Cancun on the same dates only for that to have the flight scrubbed. There appears to be a Sunday flight still, but cant get through to CS atm.

As an aside, how do entry visas work for date changes? Just do them again with new dates?
That all depends on what type of visa you have and exactly what is endorsed on it. Are you able to share what the actual visa says regarding entry?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That all depends on what type of visa you have and exactly what is endorsed on it. Are you able to share what the actual visa says regarding entry?
Visa probably wasnt the right choice of word, its their Multiple Immigration Form (FMM)
https://www.gob.mx/inm/articulos/con...greso-a-mexico
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Visa probably wasnt the right choice of word, its their Multiple Immigration Form (FMM)
https://www.gob.mx/inm/articulos/con...greso-a-mexico
In that case you will either have to amend the one you have completed or submit again with the new dates if amendment is not possible.
minichr1s likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
In that case you will either have to amend the one you have completed or submit again with the new dates if amendment is not possible.
Thanks Tobias, its easy enough to do again, I was just unsure if it was allowed.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:54 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Strange.
BA had cancelled BA281 LHR-LAX a few weeks ago for all of August.
Mine was cancelled.

Now its showing being loaded back into the system on certain dates in August to book onto it.

Very odd.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:27 am

I wish they'd put back some of the EU flights they've cancelled. I suspect US-UK travel will ramp up quickly now that quarantine isn't needed for vaccinated folk.
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Italy has confirmed the 5 days self-isolation requirement. I guess I can assume that the flights to Sardinia will be cancelled soon?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Strange.
BA had cancelled BA281 LHR-LAX a few weeks ago for all of August.
Mine was cancelled.

Now its showing being loaded back into the system on certain dates in August to book onto it.

Very odd.
Not too surprising given the removal of quarantine for vaccinated Americans visiting England. For me it’s changed significantly how I’m going to spend my September (from treating London as a transit city to probably spending 2 weeks there).
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Flight BA2550 LHR-AGP on 27/08 cancelled - and rebooked to later flight on 28/08 !! Not ideal, shall see if I can self manage a better option..

edit to add... storm in a tea cup, could rebook myself for same day flight within one hour ! Not sure why it offered such a different flight but hey ho

Last edited by mikeyfly; Jul 30, 2021 at 3:52 am
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Italy has confirmed the 5 days self-isolation requirement. I guess I can assume that the flights to Sardinia will be cancelled soon?
That's not fully correct. 5 days apply unless you are vaccinated.

Self quote from the Italy subforum:

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Green passport" enforced from Aug 8. How can US citizens get one?

(if anyone is a lawyer and speaks/reads Italian please fact check me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.