Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Main difference with the BA codeshares is it sometimes makes a difference in terms of the Avios you'll earn (BA will always earn more - if there's any difference between the two flights).......
It used to be the case that AA coded flights earned less Avios than the same flight on the BA code because the cabin bonus was different (eg 25% on AA versus 50% on BA for the lower Business Class fares)

From 1 January this year, the cabin bonus on AA and BA was standardised so you now get the same number of Avios regardless of whether you're booking on the AA or BA code. The earning chart for AA flights on ba.com shows the two tables, one for earnings up to 31 December and the higher earnings table from 1 January.

Collecting Avios and Tier Points on flights | Executive Club | British Airways
Markie, orbitmic, RB211 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC
For some reason it didn't work putting in the LAX leg on the way back (well, it did, but the price went up by £12k!!!). Are you able to pay for upgrades on the Flagship legs? Would love to try FFD, but haven't been on any First services yet - and ironically the one time i'm flying in F with AA in April, i've not taking the transcon until the next day, so won't be eligible :-(.
Yes you can always ask at check in. I’ve got another SFO trip ex-DUB in April. All on AA (except DUB-LHR obvs) on an AA ticket. Had upgrade offers in app. Eventually went to USD360 and I took it. Only shame is that all the offers for other legs disappeared. Will ask at airport about upgrading JFK-LHR so I can compare and contrast FFD and CCR.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
A question definitely OT, but vaguely linked because of a TP holiday on. What would I use to Book an Alaska Airline flight between SFO and PDX from the UK? BA doesn't offer it. AA seems to make me hop, so doesn't codeshare (and if it was offering vouchers I'd probably use AA ones over Alaska which seems unlikely), and with some sort of defensiveness against Covid cancelling the whole trip (ie: refunds/vouchers). It is Business, if that makes a difference. Also prefer to book in Sterling, but not sure of the likes of Covid cancellability on likes of expedia.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by RB211
Are we going to get a 2022 edition of this tread?

rb211.
If I'm not wrong, one of the forum ambassadors ( a.k.a. KARFA ) is preparing new informative posts ( that are located at the beginning of the thread ) to replace the active ones that are from 2020 and not reflecting current status of BAEC and Tier Point runs.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
For some reason it didn't work putting in the LAX leg on the way back (well, it did, but the price went up by £12k!!!). Are you able to pay for upgrades on the Flagship legs? Would love to try FFD, but haven't been on any First services yet - and ironically the one time i'm flying in F with AA in April, i've not taking the transcon until the next day, so won't be eligible :-(.
Just to note, if you take advantage of upgrade offers you will not earn F TP's. This has been highlighted a few times. I was in this position earlier this year and was tempted - think it was £170 from Business to First on AA.com for JFK-LAX.

AA do not award F TP's to their own members for these upgrade offers either. It does not work like BA paid upgrade offers.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Do you have to wait for those sort of upgrade offers to be made by AA - like BA POUG? I don't think i have ever seen any offers on my transcons. And/or, do you have to have, or have to be logged in, with an AA Advantage account? I generally use the AA app as a guest.
Is there any problem with having an AAAdv account when you are crediting to BAEC - like there appears to be with QR Privilege Club?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Just to note, if you take advantage of upgrade offers you will not earn F TP's. This has been highlighted a few times. I was in this position earlier this year and was tempted - think it was £170 from Business to First on AA.com for JFK-LAX.

AA do not award F TP's to their own members for these upgrade offers either. It does not work like BA paid upgrade offers.
Also, the upgrade only goes through if you are on an AA code for the flight, not a codeshare...
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Do you have to wait for those sort of upgrade offers to be made by AA - like BA POUG? I don't think i have ever seen any offers on my transcons. And/or, do you have to have, or have to be logged in, with an AA Advantage account? I generally use the AA app as a guest.
Is there any problem with having an AAAdv account when you are crediting to BAEC - like there appears to be with QR Privilege Club?
I've had 2 in around 8 years.
One was back in Dec I think for the transcon (J to F) for £200+. Didn't take it as no tier points earned, and it was ex-SFO, so no advantage of Flagship dining.

Second was on a flight out of DCA on some TP run back in 2014 or something.

Both came through on the AA app that I had added the bookings to. Not logged in as no account (didn't want them adding an AA number instead of a BA number).

Have flown AA numerous times and never seen one outside of these, or been put on any of their upgrade lists.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Also, the upgrade only goes through if you are on an AA code for the flight, not a codeshare...
Ah, yes, that'll probably be it - all of mine are BA booked - although due to cancellations I am on some AA prime legs, but maybe still not eligible.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:24 am

I can’t say 100% it never happens but I expect that it doesn’t, but I’ve never had an in app POUG for an AA metal flight in the AA app for a BA purchased ticket no matter what flight number. On the other hand, I did see offers on a ticket purchased on aa.com. One thing to be aware of, if you upgrade just one sector, all the other POUGs will disappear forever. If you purchased your ticket thorough BA, your only possibility is to upgrade at the airport.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:52 am

Good gen - I'm not sure I'd do it for FFD alone but probably at least once for the inner av-geek in me - and of course the DYKWIA!
efincomputer and stephenjc like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:03 am

Good gen - I'm not sure I'd do it for FFD alone but probably at least once for the inner av-geek in me - and of course the DYKWIA!
I've been in the JFK Flagship dining once before when I was flying CX F.
Treating myself to JFK-SFO in F in April so I'll get to try it again. There are a few menu and food pics over in the AA forum should anyone want to see sort of what's on offer.

Never flown F on the transcon, only business, but it's a tick off my bucket list.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are some £400+ JFK-SFO business fares on the go, so if a cheap upgrade was available, it might work for someone. £600 or so Vs. the usual price isn't too bad if you're willing to pay that.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by xenole
I've been in the JFK Flagship dining once before when I was flying CX F.
Treating myself to JFK-SFO in F in April so I'll get to try it again. There are a few menu and food pics over in the AA forum should anyone want to see sort of what's on offer.

Never flown F on the transcon, only business, but it's a tick off my bucket list.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are some £400+ JFK-SFO business fares on the go, so if a cheap upgrade was available, it might work for someone. £600 or so Vs. the usual price isn't too bad if you're willing to pay that.
In case you’re the person in 3A on the 5pm AA2305 April 6th, I’ll be just across the aisle
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I'd love to do it once just to try it out, and see what the seat is like in First on the A321T (although I've seen a few routings where they still appear to be running this on the BOS-JFK route on certain services, letting you select seats in the Flagship First or Flagship Business cabins when paying for a domestic first ticket - limited opportunities to try it that way, though).
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
In case you’re the person in 3A on the 5pm AA2305 April 6th, I’ll be just across the aisle
Couple of weeks later for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.