Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by GBOAC
I've just looked at all the AY 2k+ flights and some of the AT 2k+ flights as listed here:
https://pointstobemade.com/every-one...er-2000-miles/
And they all earn 140tps in business... What are the exceptions?

Is it ridiculous? Why should I pay £1500 for LHR-AMM with a oneworld partner and only earn 160TP return, while for the same price someone else can book JFK-LAX and earn 280? And therefore be closer to retaining status than I am? Despite both flights being over 2000 miles? (no I am not arguing for a revenue based system, but I am arguing for comparability)

Basically why is there one rule for nearly all OW flights over 2000 miles, but some new non-rule for this one?
(note every other RJ European capital still earns long haul TP) Ba are not adhering to their own rules on partner flights (just because them themselves can no longer compete on hard product)

Why should I be screwed over and not everyone else, or more fairly, why should everyone else (route wise) get historic benefits but not a route I frequent?
Its a shiny card from an airline and not worth getting annoyed about. It used to be that to earn TP on TATL flights you had to fly on BA metal, you used to earn F TP for flying AA F instead of getting J TP as you do now and before that you could only join BAEC if you flew PE or above. What did everyone do? Sucked it up and moved on.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
We call this marketing. You are welcome to vote with your wallet as I mentioned in my earlier post.
BA could set up any threshold as they own the program and they have the rights to change stuff according to the terms&conditions which you have agreed when signing to the club. Yes the change is not positive and you're not the only one affected, but there are solutions.

If you're unsatisfied with BAEC, no one is stopping you to use Royal Jordanian's frequent flyer program or any other FFP.
As well as no-one is stopping you to fly LHR-FRA-AMM or LHR-CDG-AMM so that you could get additional Tier Points.

I'm so sorry but in FlyerTalk we are collaborative rather than being selfish. The idea of complaining BA that "why other partner 2000+ mile flights are getting 140 Tier Points" is totally disgusting and has nothing to do with the positive spirit here on FlyerTalk.
Thank you for your contribution to FT.
LCSinTexas and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Its a shiny card from an airline and not worth getting annoyed about. It used to be that to earn TP on TATL flights you had to fly on BA metal, and before that you could only join BAEC if you flew PE or above. What did everyone do? Sucked it up and moved on.
I had no idea. I just learned something new today. Thanks, bro!
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
I had no idea. I just learned something new today. Thanks, bro!
I remember flying them 50 odd times around 2000 and never bothering to join what would become BAEC, because I flew economy.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smid
I remember flying them 50 odd times around 2000 and never bothering to join what would become BAEC, because I flew economy.
Oh wow?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
When I first flew BA in the late 1990s, my tickets weren't of a high enough booking class to warrant entry / being able to join BAEC.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979
When I first flew BA in the late 1990s, my tickets weren't of a high enough booking class to warrant entry / being able to join BAEC.
did they not offer bonus tier points on the comet?
LCSinTexas and m8_rotate like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Why should I be screwed over and not everyone else, or more fairly, why should everyone else (route wise) get historic benefits but not a route I frequent?
What an attitude you bear !!
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
did they not offer bonus tier points on the comet?
Only on the Comet 1, first jet service and all that. By the time the Comet 4 came around, they offered same TPs as the Britannia and Douglas DC-7C. People were outraged!
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Only on the Comet 1, first jet service and all that. By the time the Comet 4 came around, they offered same TPs as the Britannia and Douglas DC-7C. People were outraged!
Love the comets, deHavilland ghost engines, so futuristic looking
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Foltan
"Everything revolves around me and should be the way that I want it to be"
You just get me! I wish I could get my wife to see things as you do! 😉
lsquare and dougzz like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
any good TP runs to talk about?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
any good TP runs to talk about?
These two are not the best seen, but not bad, long layover on the Hel run, but higher yeilding. I like the Ex EU options of BCN and MAD as they have lots of redundancy built in. Happy hunting.

PGberkshire likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by m8_rotate
These two are not the best seen, but not bad, long layover on the Hel run, but higher yeilding. I like the Ex EU options of BCN and MAD as they have lots of redundancy built in. Happy hunting.

Thats good.

I have taken a different approach. The one I take yields 720TP for around £900, and that includes Hotel costs as well.

So BAH have double TP for 5 days until March, so a trip from MAN-LHR-(IST/ATH etc) yields 240 TP x 2. However I dont want to spend 5 days away, so what I have booked is a second nested return inside the holiday. This is another 240 TP. (total now 720)

So on ticket 1, you fly to IST, check in to the hotel.
Next day, on ticket 2, fly back to MAN.

Day 5, take the return on Ticket 2 to IST, sleep the last night in the hotel
Fly back to MAN on ticket 1

IST was circa £560 for 5 days in hotel and CE from MAN
The nested ticket was circa £350/400 to return.

You can of course spend longer in IST if you want.

On one trip I have even nested an MLA return inside ticket 2 to add another 160 TP (booked for £207 and then moved due to cancellation by BA)
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m8_rotate
if you go the usual Eastcoast-Westcoast-Westcoast or Eastcoast-Eastcoast-Westcoast way, you could add 180 TP per way. most likekly and comfortable options are BOS-JFK-SFO, BOS-LAX-SFO, JFK-LAX-SFO...
LCSinTexas, ISTFlyer and m8_rotate like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.