Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by champignon
I agree that the entire concept of a TP run beginning in the USA is a bit of a non sequitur. The best pure TP runs I have seen reported tend to require a dead-head or positioning flight to a country in Europe or nearby Asia, which has a lower living standard that the US or Western Europe, and as a result (possibly combined with lower taxes also) has lower J fares and convoluted routing rules that can be exploited for TP and Avios point gain. In addition, unless the traveler frequently passes through Europe, a lot of the gains from status may be hard to actually benefit from, although there are benefits that permeate the OW Alliance that can be used.

Perhaps we need an additional category for trips taken to maximize TPs and/or Avios, that are not specifically "deals" in the sense that all you are getting is a cheap airfare for the distance flown, regardless of class; those trips already have a thread which has been referred to here as the "deals" thread. This other category would be a combination of a reasonable price (for what you are getting in terms of comfort) PLUS a lot of TPs and/or avios for what you are expending, kind of a combination of a "deal" and a TP run, and this could happen in any class of service as long as the return, in terms of comfort, points, avios, etc. represents a good return on the money expended.

Notwithstanding the difficulty of doing a true TP run originating in the USA, there are some advantages in TP accrual that can come from short hops in J on AA and especially AS.

This raises yet another question that I am grappling with and that is whether it makes any sense to attain status in TWO different OW carriers, in my case that would be AS and BA. I will soon have gold in BA which is Emerald, and recently attained MVP Gold in AS, which is Sapphire. Going forward it appears to make more sense just to credit all of my flying to BAEC. I'll be giving up a few free upgrades on AS, but since the short hop J flights I use AS for, if bought early enough, are cheap, having to buy them in J to begin with isn't a huge hit.

most of the runs i book are 900-1400 GBP (1100 - 1600 EUR) deals worth 680/880 TP. those fares are around every know and then, if you are willing to position to anywhere in Europe, there is almost always a good deal around

+1 on the idea of a "how to maximize this fare, because i have to book it anyway and i want to get the most TP out of this trip but i know its not a TP run because its not cheap "thread. there is no harm in opening on. we could link the both threads in each wiki.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nephoi
most of the runs i book are 900-1400 GBP (1100 - 1600 EUR) deals worth 680/880 TP. those fares are around every know and then, if you are willing to position to anywhere in Europe, there is almost always a good deal around

+1 on the idea of a "how to maximize this fare, because i have to book it anyway and i want to get the most TP out of this trip but i know its not a TP run because its not cheap "thread. there is no harm in opening on. we could link the both threads in each wiki.
I think it is a good idea to have such a thread, but it needs a good title in order to become a catch-phrase and to attract posts. Any ideas?

One problem with such a thread is that if people are going to be doing trips they want to do anyway, those trips are going to be "all over the map," in the sense that I may want to go to France from the Western USA, whereas other people have their own starting points and destinations. The unifying idea behind TP runs is that the only point to the trip is acquiring TPs and status, and it doesn't matter where you are traveling, the whole point of the trip is the TPs obtained per unit of money.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think it is a good idea to have such a thread, but it needs a good title in order to become a catch-phrase and to attract posts. Any ideas?

One problem with such a thread is that if people are going to be doing trips they want to do anyway, those trips are going to be "all over the map," in the sense that I may want to go to France from the Western USA, whereas other people have their own starting points and destinations. The unifying idea behind TP runs is that the only point to the trip is acquiring TPs and status, and it doesn't matter where you are traveling, the whole point of the trip is the TPs obtained per unit of money.
No it is not. The trip can be for any purpose and you do not have to head straight back. But yes where you travel isn't an issue. However, as noted it needs to be within a TP:£ value range to be considered - that is the only criteria as far as I know.

In terms of a trip which is not a TP run in that sense, but perhaps could be improved for TP earning what's the matter with the premium fare thread I mentioned?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:29 am

Apologies, another post!

I would say I accept that this year we don't have the various reference post at the start of the thread (see the first 9/10 posts on the previous thread for an example BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition).

I think this would help as it would perhaps give some tips about earning more TPs which are of course generally applicable, and don't just relate to a strict TP run. These reference posts will be coming back in 2022 so that should provide a self-help resource which may help.
SavvyTravel and Nephoi like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:32 am

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
is "how to maximize this fare, because i have to book it anyway and i want to get the most TP out of this trip but i know its not a TP run because its not cheap" not good?
Blue Skye and dougzz like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:54 am

Very new to this, but I've recently accepted a new job that will see me flying quick trips TPA-MIA once each month for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to take advantage of BA's reduced status levels to get Oneworld Sapphire for Flagship Lounge access at MIA. The standby flexibility would be a great perk as well since there are quite a few daily flights on the route. Alternatively, I could purchase the AA Executive card with Admiral's Club access, which is a $450 annual fee. That said, if I get status in early 2022 and it runs through 2023 then I would need to pay the annual fee twice to get the same benefits as earning via a TP run. And I would only get Admiral's Club access, not Flagship.

I've been researching all weekend trying to find the best options to hit close to the 450 tier points for anywhere from Florida to anywhere in Europe. It appears my best option right now is a weekend run MIA-MXP in J pricing around $1,900 with two stops in each direction. That would put me at 440 TP and then I would hit 450 with my first TPA-MIA roundtrip.

I recognize this isn't a great $/TP value, but I have to hit the BA flight minimum as well and can't come up with a way to do it without flying across the pond. I would much prefer to take advantage of the cheap AA J flights to South America, but then I would still need the BA flight minimum. Any ideas?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Very new to this, but I've recently accepted a new job that will see me flying quick trips TPA-MIA once each month for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to take advantage of BA's reduced status levels to get Oneworld Sapphire for Flagship Lounge access at MIA. The standby flexibility would be a great perk as well since there are quite a few daily flights on the route. Alternatively, I could purchase the AA Executive card with Admiral's Club access, which is a $450 annual fee. That said, if I get status in early 2022 and it runs through 2023 then I would need to pay the annual fee twice to get the same benefits as earning via a TP run. And I would only get Admiral's Club access, not Flagship.

I've been researching all weekend trying to find the best options to hit close to the 450 tier points for anywhere from Florida to anywhere in Europe. It appears my best option right now is a weekend run MIA-MXP in J pricing around $1,900 with two stops in each direction. That would put me at 440 TP and then I would hit 450 with my first TPA-MIA roundtrip.

I recognize this isn't a great $/TP value, but I have to hit the BA flight minimum as well and can't come up with a way to do it without flying across the pond. I would much prefer to take advantage of the cheap AA J flights to South America, but then I would still need the BA flight minimum. Any ideas?
Here's a contrary opinion. It sounds to me like the focus of your travel isn't with BA, and that the exercise you are contemplating doing is basically a waste of your time and money. You aren't based in Europe nor does it appear that you really have any use for BA's route system. I also don't think you will get Flagship First lounge access with Sapphire status and when not flying in Flagship First on AA, or in long haul First with another OW carrier like BA. You should check the rules for Flagship First lounge access, perhaps over on the AA Forum.

It sounds to me like your best move for lounge access would be paid, through Amex or even a lounge membership, unless your travel pattern is different than implied by your post.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
The flagship lounge should be accessible as OWS and OWE even when not flying transcontinental:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Haven't tried it myself yet so no guarantee.
nh1980 and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
The flagship lounge should be accessible as OWS and OWE even when not flying transcontinental:
Having read a lot of posts over on the AA forum, dealing with Flagship First -- the big deal isn't the FF lounge, it's the FF Dining Room that is available at select hubs (most notably JFK, MIA, and LAX, with the latter, at least, currently being closed by report).

I do NOT think that you can get into FF Dining easily, and I doubt that OWS or OWE status while flying TPA-MIA will not get you in there regardless of class of service.

At the current time, from what I've read, there are few Flagship First lounges that are anything more than a roped off section of the Admirals Club, and in any event are an unremarkable upgrade to a basic business class lounge.

I would definitely be posing these questions over on the AA forum if you are seeking answers from people who know the most about this topic.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
yes this is definitely correct. Someone who is OWS/OWE in the AA FFP (and I think AS FFP) wouldn't get access, but if your status is in another oneworld FFP like BAEC you will get access when on any AA flight in any cabin.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes this is definitely correct. Someone who is OWS/OWE in the AA FFP (and I think AS FFP) wouldn't get access, but if your status is in another oneworld FFP like BAEC you will get access when on any AA flight in any cabin.
Exactly right, I've done it myself at JFK and ORD.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName

regarding TP most likekly there is more to achieve than 440. if you need any help and routing advices, just let me know. im willing to help. just drop me a line.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
Then this is one of those odd wrinkles in how these OW FF programs interact, and is not surprising.

One thing to check out would be whether the AA flight you are on is being credited to your BA FF number. For one thing, your status with BA won't be shown on your boarding pass unless you book under that BA EC number.

Secondarily, when accessing the AS Lounge in the N. Terminal at SEA about a month ago, I posed the question about whether I would have access flying coach but using my BA EC number with Sapphire status on the BP. I was told that I would be admitted but only if the BA EC number was on the boarding pass, e.g. the ticket on AS needed to be booked under the BA EC number.

That answer sounded strange to me but the women at the desk were adamant about it. I would have assumed that simply showing them my digital BAEC Silver card would work, but they said that it would not.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:48 am

That’s standard AA rules - you need to have the same FFP for use in terms of benefits and crediting. They don’t like it if you split between two different FFPs.
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:56 am

Deleted half my post since it was addressed upthread
My analysis is that I can spend $900 for fewer benefits than if I do a TP run. I think flying is fun, but my time is certainly constrained. If I can fly somewhere for a weekend for a few hundred dollars more than the annual fee and get a few more benefits, then I might just do it.
Chiller3333 likes this.

Last edited by FlyerTalkUserName; Nov 22, 2021 at 11:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.