Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Are there any good value TP runs available to book now and travel in early 2022?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Are there any good value TP runs available to book now and travel in early 2022?
You can still do the West Coast for <£1,300 out of Madrid - MAD>LHR> MIA/JFK > LAX > SFO for example, for 720. Probably not until at least March though.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Originally Posted by Foltan
You can still do the West Coast for <£1,300 out of Madrid - MAD>LHR> MIA/JFK > LAX > SFO for example, for 720. Probably not until at least March though.
That fare has a 180-day advance booking requirement, so not until at least May as it stands. I class on BA flights is drying up fast, so the fare in mid-May is limited to AA TATL on quite a few dates. Note: you can start in AGP and go to HEL first, so you could get 1000TPs for a bit under £1400. The 1:25am departure from Spain in a Y seat might be mildly off-putting though, but it wouldn't be a TP-run otherwise!
H2L, dennyzrh and m8_rotate like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry - another question. I've found a MAD - LAX trip that I'm happy with, pasted into the 'book with ITA' page and the itinerary cannot be found.
Is this a lost cause, or is there a OTA that may be able to help me ?
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Ilovethebeachclub
Sorry - another question. I've found a MAD - LAX trip that I'm happy with, pasted into the 'book with ITA' page and the itinerary cannot be found.
Thanks
You could call the airline and book the ticket or use a proper travel agent.
An OTA ( online travel agent ) like Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Edreams, etc... wouldn't work unless you could get Bookwithmatrix.com work.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could call the airline and book the ticket or use a proper travel agent.
An OTA ( online travel agent ) like Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Edreams, etc... wouldn't work unless you could get Bookwithmatrix.com work.
Thank you ISTFlyer
Would it be best to call BA or AA in your experience?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thank you ISTFlyer
Would it be best to call BA or AA in your experience?
BA would offer more flexibility ( a.k.a. Book with Confidence )
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Thanks
Have you tried the matrix powertools Chrome extension (or whichever browser you're using)?
So far it's been the most reliable way of getting flights moved over to the airlines' websites.
I wish they had an AmEx Travel integraton :P
dougzz and m8_rotate like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Have you tried the matrix powertools Chrome extension (or whichever browser you're using)?
So far it's been the most reliable way of getting flights moved over to the airlines' websites.
I wish they had an AmEx Travel integraton :P
To be honest, the BA link at Powertools is not working for at least 6 months. Same thing goes for some other airlines as well but on some occasions ( eg. American Airlines ), Powertools is working perfectly.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
To be honest, the BA link at Powertools is not working for at least 6 months. Same thing goes for some other airlines as well but on some occasions ( eg. American Airlines ), Powertools is working perfectly.
It's been working fine for me.
Booked a CDG-NYC return (via LHR and ORD) that way a couple of months ago and have been able to price other flights I was looking into last week as well.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
It's been working fine for me.
Booked a CDG-NYC return (via LHR and ORD) that way a couple of months ago and have been able to price other flights I was looking into last week as well.
I have found that it is nearly impossible to do online booking with BA of any complicated itineraries beyond a simple round trip. This is independent of whether you use ITA Matrix or just manually enter segments into the Multi-City Booking page on BA.com

If you find a complicated routing that works on ITA Matrix, you are also likely to find that you can't get BA to book that either, over the phone, at least they won't be able to do it at the time of your call. The TP run I have booked in December DID transfer over to AA and was booked there online, but it was no-dice with BA when I called them. They said it would take up to 72 hours to have their back office come back with a fare quote, a time period I was unwilling to wait so I booked on AA.com
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold

Phoned the Gold Line to get this booked up and to see whether I could get BA codes on some of the AY legs to get some extra avios too. They were able to code the LHR-HEL and HEL-LHR as a BA codeshare.
Pleasantly surprised to be told the price to pay was £1421.92 as opposed to what is showing above.
Trip works out as 1040TP so about £1.37 per TP.

Tried to add an additional 40TP into the trip on the return leg but it kept breaking the fare or required an overnight stay in Charlotte or NYC which defeats the purpose of a cheap TP run.

Not as good as the one further up the thread but still a very reasonable price!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by champignon
I have found that it is nearly impossible to do online booking with BA of any complicated itineraries beyond a simple round trip. This is independent of whether you use ITA Matrix or just manually enter segments into the Multi-City Booking page on BA.com

If you find a complicated routing that works on ITA Matrix, you are also likely to find that you can't get BA to book that either, over the phone, at least they won't be able to do it at the time of your call. The TP run I have booked in December DID transfer over to AA and was booked there online, but it was no-dice with BA when I called them. They said it would take up to 72 hours to have their back office come back with a fare quote, a time period I was unwilling to wait so I booked on AA.com
Sounds odd. I have always managed to book mine with ba on the phone, and the agent has priced everything up there and then. As usual, the advice is price it up on itamatrix and call BA to book.
gcuk, nh1980 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Sifu
Not as good as the one further up the thread but still a very reasonable price!
I like that, not least because I can get to Malaga for next to nothing.
Sifu likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
Sounds odd. I have always managed to book mine with ba on the phone, and the agent has priced everything up there and then. As usual, the advice is price it up on itamatrix and call BA to book.
Several possible explanations for this:

I'm in the USA and you are in the UK, and we may access different people in different call centers. I never seem to get anyone in the USA, and frequently it is someone in India (using the Silver line in my case). Not to cast aspersions on Indians, in fact it was an Indian who booked a trip for me most recently, that I could not get the online system to book.

Another possible explanation is that I should have done a HUACA, e.g. hang up, and call again, where it was simply easier to keep my online booking with AA than to bother.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.