Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Just to add a reference point, phoned up to move our May YVR flights this morning (which were cancelled) to be told we could only move to dates with avios availability or within 14 days of the original flights.

Rather than argue it I phoned back a little later and a very helpful agent with no questions or fuss moved our flights to our chosen dates in September.
SK AAR and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by George K
Hey folks - I’m trying to figure out how best to maximise value from two return cancellations of 50% fares, with two Lloyds vouchers added on top. As a result they were both booked via the Avios.com phone team, and MMB doesn’t give any options since it registers as a travel agent booking.

The first one to Seoul, might be the easiest. The route has been pulled, so rebooking is probably out of the question. In another Lloyds voucher booking in the past, I remember being offered to be rebooked to another destination within the same Band. Does anyone have any recent experiences of that?

The second ticket is to Rio. Now I am leaning towards rebooking this for the maximum allowed date of October 2021 (as it was booked on October 2020, during the sale) but ideally would like to push this to November or even January/February.

I’ve gone over the thread and I’m up to speed with the consistent inconsistencies, but didn’t see any reports of dealing with the Avios.com team, hence my question(s).

Obviously the easiest thing to do is cancel and wait for another 50% deal to come along, but wanted to check if there was anything I could be doing now..
Hi George - curious if you had contacted Avios for this ticket and what options you were given. I've also got a cancelled GRU-LHR Lloyds bought in the 50% sale. Have resisted calling for now.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:27 am

Tried to change my HKG-LHR ticket online. After selecting an available flight in January 2022, an error message popped up when I clicked Confirm. Anyone having the same issue?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by strayersong
Tried to change my HKG-LHR ticket online. After selecting an available flight in January 2022, an error message popped up when I clicked Confirm. Anyone having the same issue?
Wouldn't the 50% Avios awards only be valid for 1 year from original issue date (which would be Oct 2021 at the latest)? That might be your issue. Others on this thread report being able to change it online thru Oct 2021 (and hit-or-miss beyond June 2021 with an agent).

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:01 am

My outbound flight to the US on May 30th has been cancelled and I've been rebooked on a flight the previous day. That's fine but I haven't accepted the changes yet as I'm assuming this gives me the flexibility to ask for a cancellation later. Is there any downside to not accepting the changes? Can they rebook someone else on that flight or are the seats reserved for us? I know the chances of actually going are slim but I won't be popular at home if the flight on the 29th goes without us! Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is no risk of waiting. You have been rebooked and the flight/seats are confirmed. Indeed, I would not confirm anything now/unless absolutely necessary to keep the ticket as flexible as possible,
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by mzb00
Hi George - curious if you had contacted Avios for this ticket and what options you were given. I've also got a cancelled GRU-LHR Lloyds bought in the 50% sale. Have resisted calling for now.

Yes, I did. Long story short, this once again proved a texbook case of HUACA. Called a day before the flight to Rio and was allowed to extend it at maximum original ticket validity to October 2021, using cash ticket availability. No mention of June 2021 cutoff due to the original 50% sale terms, and more surprisingly, no extra taxes due (and no extra Avios either). I was expecting to be hit with the new Heathrow Covid haraç, but new booking was made effortlessly, with documentation arriving the next day, fully ticketed.

I’ve got Seoul to rebook next month, and would like to explore switching the destination to another Band 7 city. Problem is, most of them are out of bounds and are likely to remain for a while.

Quite curiously, the agent said I could rebook to Lima, Peru, but that destination also appears to be pulled…
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mzb00
Same situation here; I brought it up in a recent call with BA and the guidance was quite clear, that a rebooking within the same band is possible.
Guess band 7 however ain't worth too much right now :/

Anyone with suggestions which of the band 7 destinations can actually be travelled to in the foreseeable future?
Mexico City seems to be just below the cut-off; never thought I would consider this a negative.
George K likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by George K
Yes, I did. Long story short, this once again proved a texbook case of HUACA. Called a day before the flight to Rio and was allowed to extend it at maximum original ticket validity to October 2021, using cash ticket availability. No mention of June 2021 cutoff due to the original 50% sale terms, and more surprisingly, no extra taxes due (and no extra Avios either). I was expecting to be hit with the new Heathrow Covid haraç, but new booking was made effortlessly, with documentation arriving the next day, fully ticketed.

I’ve got Seoul to rebook next month, and would like to explore switching the destination to another Band 7 city. Problem is, most of them are out of bounds and are likely to remain for a while.

Quite curiously, the agent said I could rebook to Lima, Peru, but that destination also appears to be pulled…
Thanks! I'll call them up in April closer to the original date of travel. A rebooking to October wouldn't be a bad outcome.
George K likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 7:06 am

Cancelled USA ✈️

Hi

booked to go to Vegas first and back from LAX in the October sale. They changed the plane and cancelled me and rebooked me on same flight but business. They’ve now cancelled the incoming flight from LAX. What are my options ? Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2021, 7:35 am

Just an additional data point here.

50% off + 241 to Tokyo in J planned next month.

BA cancelled and told me I can rebook up until Oct 2021 only.

Turns out, I need to go to the US due to my in-laws next month. Asked if I could repurpose destination to US instead. They said no to begin with but I think they were confused. They then put me on hold and confirmed it would be possible ONLY travelling before June 30th (which I intended to). They also had to recost the taxes.

Taxes went from roughly £900ish to Tokyo to a whopping £1400 for the US return. I accepted the increase in taxes because I really need the flight however I feel somewhat burnt by these taxes.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Jh1978
Just an additional data point here.

50% off + 241 to Tokyo in J planned next month.

BA cancelled and told me I can rebook up until Oct 2021 only.

Turns out, I need to go to the US due to my in-laws next month. Asked if I could repurpose destination to US instead. They said no to begin with but I think they were confused. They then put me on hold and confirmed it would be possible ONLY travelling before June 30th (which I intended to). They also had to recost the taxes.

Taxes went from roughly £900ish to Tokyo to a whopping £1400 for the US return. I accepted the increase in taxes because I really need the flight however I feel somewhat burnt by these taxes.
Not sure what dates you want to travel, but there are some pretty decent US deals ATM, e.g. BA LHR-JFK in premium for £640... then upgrade to business (total cost is 48000Avios + £ 870 odd) - minus what ever AVIOS you get back due to your current tier level, and of course the Tier Points.. etc..
Old Apr 2, 2021, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Not sure what dates you want to travel, but there are some pretty decent US deals ATM, e.g. BA LHR-JFK in premium for £640... then upgrade to business (total cost is 48000Avios + £ 870 odd) - minus what ever AVIOS you get back due to your current tier level, and of course the Tier Points.. etc..
Sadly cant see these fares for where I am trying to travel (either Houston or Austin) end of may/begin June!
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:55 pm

Cancelled flights Rebooked

My 50% discount reward flights in F scheduled for April were cancelled. A call to You First resulted in them being rebooked for October without any fuss.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:15 am

Now over a month since I booked and still no ticket email. I'm wondering if something might happen once the original flight date is passed at the end of this month.

Hopefully not a big deal (I have the Finnair ticket email), but still odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.