Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tor
Slightly off-topic, but relevant to this discussion. I know it is rather arbitrary to try to predict these sorts of things, but in the experience of members' of this form, is this sort of deal likely to be offered again? By deal, I mean stacking 50% off avios flights and a 2-4-1 voucher.

Is this a deal that BA routinely offer, or is a once in a pandemic sort of deal?
There's a few posts further up suggesting this will definitely be repeated, and advising to hold fire - despite news reports concerning record bookings etc., there will be some hesitancy to resume air travel, so it does seem likely airlines will need to do a bit more - it definitely feels like more reward flights are available than in the past, albeit across fewer routes given recent culls.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC
I cancelled our Easter trip to New York yesterday which was booked with a 241 in the 50% sale. The 241 was due to expire in May but the agent said it would automatically be extended for 6 months until November and I could move my flights to any time up to November. I didn't take up the offer and just cancelled the ticket so not sure if they would book into revenue seats or just go on reward seat availability or whether the 50% sale would stick. Our BA175 (28th March) had been cancelled and we had been moved onto BA179 6 hours later so I got a full refund of Avios and taxes etc....The agent said the back office was processing the refunds to speed up the phone calls as they were very busy so it would take a day or two longer than usual. I was on hold for about an hour to get through.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bernardh
I have a real tangle to deal with:

I had an Avios booking LHR-LAX-LHR in First.

50% discount came along but I didn’t want to lose existing reservation until certain I could secure replacements, so booked using an FTV and some more Avios (and then cancelled the existing booking).

This week, the flights were cancelled, so I called You First to take advantage of the policy to move to new flights without needing Avios availability, only to be told that the flights I thought I had were not ticketed and only option is to take another FTV and rebook with whatever availability I can find (i.e. none).

I admit I didn’t check whether the ticketing went through, but I - wrongly - assumed I was just somewhere in a long re-ticketing queue.

I can’t see any extra money being taken, but I do know that the necessary Avios were immediately debited.

I think I’m entitled to ask BA to do the ticketing as booked and then move the flights, but the person I spoke to said they’d need to listen to a recording of the booking conversation. Meanwhile, they are holding seats on the wanted flights.

Any views or advice would be gratefully received!
My experience (original message upthread) mirrors those of others, but also shows the value of HUACA (and calmness)!

I called You First again this morning and explained my position: ticket validity for the BA cancellation rebooking policy starts when a booking is made, not date of an original booking that's subsequently converted to an FTV. Therefore, it should be possible to rebook provided the outbound is before the end of this later validity. In my case the original issue was April 2020 and the FTV was used for the new booking in October 2020.

Initially, there was push back saying that the ticket validity was the original booking date. So, I used an example to show why I thought this was illogical:
APR 2020 - Original Ticket issued for flight in AUG 2020
JUL 2020 - FTV taken. Valid until 2022 [I've lost track of the various validities, so this might be inaccurate]
MAY 2021 - New booking for JUN 2021 using FTV
JUN 2021 - Flight cancelled, but BA position is that the new flight has to be taken before APR 2021 - i.e. impossible
I also pointed-out that I had a reasonable expectation that BA would issue the ticket given (A) it took the Avios (B) it's normal for ticket re-issue to take a while.
I'm pleased to say that my view prevailed. After consulting (I assume with Ticketing again), the agent booked new flights in F (without Avios availability) with outbound a few days before the anniversary of the un-ticketed October booking. I was quoted the usual fee payment, but even though we'd discussed this being a 50% discounted booking there was no further Avios charge.

Now, we have to see what happens if these flights don't go ahead!
KARFA, mikeyfly and RG1X like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:45 am

Bah, I had worked out alternative dates (before October) that could work for me on my cancelled flight... but the BA number gave me the "due to call volume we are unable to take your call right now" message. Been a while since I've had that.

Not that I was expecting any joy from them (I fully expect them to want to change the extra Avios), but it would have been nice to get it sorted.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by RG1X
Bah, I had worked out alternative dates (before October) that could work for me on my cancelled flight... but the BA number gave me the "due to call volume we are unable to take your call right now" message. Been a while since I've had that.

Not that I was expecting any joy from them (I fully expect them to want to change the extra Avios), but it would have been nice to get it sorted.
Try MMB - one of my 50% avios flights was cancelled yesterday and I was able to make the changes I wanted in MMB after playing around with a few dates.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
PHX in F - On, Off, On

I originally booked LHR:PHX return in F during the 50% Avios sale. I was then informed I was booked into Club due to an aircraft change to the 777 with the Club Suite. I accepted the change and had the appropriate number of Avios refunded. Today, by chance, I noticed my seat had been changed to 10D and the aircraft now is a 4 class 777. Given my departure date is 25th May I was going to ask if I could move to a later date as that does seem to be an option. Would I be able to change dates, and upgrade using Avios to F?

I do realise we are in uncharted territory, and I accept that the upgrade is unlikely to be discounted by 50% but any tips on what to do would appreciated.

Would there be any benefit in cancelling and taking an FTV?

TIA
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by BAFlyer74
Try MMB - one of my 50% avios flights was cancelled yesterday and I was able to make the changes I wanted in MMB after playing around with a few dates.
Sadly / annoyingly MMB was only offering me flights up to when my original return flight was due to depart.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:08 pm

I think something may have gone wrong with my itinerary... lol

Hmm... this combination of flights isn't possible you say.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, as mentioned up thread, MMB will often fail for many reasons, but any complexity will do. But you should be OK for a free rebook, some people are asked for small changes in taxes, fees and surcharges usually caused by exchange rate changes, but often for no charge. You just need cabin availiability if your flight is cancelled, redemption availlability is not needed. That would be up to 1 year from the original ticket issue. But read up thread to see more experiences.
That's good to know. If my flight is cancelled and it was offpeak, can i change to a peak day without topping up the Avios? I'm looking at rebooking onto BA15 LHR-SIN in July but if it gets cancelled it's the last off peak day for some time! BA 15 has cancelled more than BA11 but not sure what will happen once BA15 becomes 787 operated and it goes back to 2 scheduled flights per day. Presumably BA will stick with BA11 due to cargo capacity on the 777?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
That's good to know. If my flight is cancelled and it was offpeak, can i change to a peak day without topping up the Avios?
If BA cancel the flight then you should be able to move it without paying extra and without needing availability. There are various inconsistecies in this area, so if you get pushback on that then by all means leave it and refer back here, but hopefully you will be OK.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I had a simple off-peak one way flight booked under this promo to fly from SYD-LHR on BA16 earlier this month. BA cancelled the flight in November and MMB allowed me to rebook my flight for January 2022, no extra Avios required. In any event I wasn't expecting to pay any additional Avios for peak dates as the flights had been cancelled. It did not allow me to rebook the direct BA16 and only offered me seats on the BA16/BA12 combo (First Class) for the date I wanted next year.

I have the same flight booked on the same route for next month, again on BA16. This was cancelled around the end of last year. Again, MMB is offering free rebooking on any date, including peak dates in January 2022. As of this morning I can rebook on the direct BA16 up to and including the 13th February 2022. Flight is in Club World. I was hoping to change for Club Suite but BA announced the introduction of the 789 on the Kangaroo route in December last year. Still pondering my options on this one...
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
If BA cancel the flight then you should be able to move it without paying extra and without needing availability. There are various inconsistecies in this area, so if you get pushback on that then by all means leave it and refer back here, but hopefully you will be OK.
the only thing consistent at BA has been their inconsistency! I gave up trying to rebook a First return to SCL as every call elicited a different reason for not being able to rebook. In the end took a refund which they did process in under 36 hours.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:05 am
dnw

Are your basing this on the “select new date” calendar or are your able to get to the next page which shows the change quote? This is where it usually throws the 365 error.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
There are various inconsistecies in this area …
Masterful understatement
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:16 am

Slightly off topic but I originally booked a flight in F using the 50% deal and 2-4-1 voucher. That F flight was later downgraded to CW due to aircraft change, which I accepted. And now it's all been cancelled.

Bit of a long shot but am I able to call YouFirst due to original booking in F or am I stuck with the long wait using the usual phoneline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.