Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: TP Gold; IB Oro; G3 Diamond; AD Diamond; LA Plat.; HH Diamond; IHG Diam Amb; Marriott Plat.
I have not found references to IB-operated codeshares in this thread, so I'd appreciate any advice.

I've issued one-way GRU-LHR in CW for late June. The route has just been suspended until at least end of June, and I've been notified of the flight's cancellation by BA.

1. How likely is BA to accept to change to the IB-operated codeshares GRU-MAD-LHR? GRU-MAD is BA 4246. I still intend to fly late June.

2. If likely, will there be need for U inventory? Or simply space in the business cabin? We are 5 PAX, so Avios inventory would be a problem.

Depending on the answers, I'll just relax and wait.

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Blackheath
1. How likely is BA to accept to change to the IB-operated codeshares GRU-MAD-LHR? GRU-MAD is BA 4246. I still intend to fly late June.

2. If likely, will there be need for U inventory? Or simply space in the business cabin? We are 5 PAX, so Avios inventory would be a problem.
So long as you are not moving either your start point, end point or moving the dates by more than a day or two AND BA cancels the service, then you can be rebooked on either the BA codeshare or IB prime. You won't need U inventory, though there are some complexities in this space if IB prime. The clunky wording is such that it can seem to require U in your case, but actually it means that the U should not be used for revenue bookings. But a lot can change, June is a long way off.
Blackheath likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Just changed mine on the phone. HKG-NCL cancelled. Tried to change to late November but they wouldn't let me extend the ticket validity so changed to early October instead. Nice and simple and (rightfully) no questions regarding June expiry on 50% deal it was booked through. Rebooked in A class since there was no F award availability. Overall good customer service and hopefully everything goes ahead as planned (Suspect HKG won't be open then but may be able to do a Thailand/Elsewhere to HKG connection)
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dadio77
Just been notified of a class change and downgraded to CW from F (new aircraft is A350, not sure if that's club suites?). There is a later flight (to DXB) but overnight which means changing my hotel booking too, but given this is the end of May and chances of a quarantine free, FCO/gov sanctioned holiday remains low, should I just accept the change to CW for now and take the avios refund, in the hope I get a similarly helpful agent further down the line (i.e. at the point of either confirmation of cancellation!)?

I don't want acceptance now to hinder me later (and tbh I'd be happy to just be able to fly so the new flight may be fine!), but I'm a bit worn out with all the constant changes 😁
Originally Posted by dadio77
wow, I like to think of myself as travel savvy, but failed to consider doing nothing...! sometimes you need to post on FT to see the wood through the trees thanks Will
Both flights (31/05-11/06) cancelled today - assuming mass cancellations rather than just unlucky. I'd given up on travelling tbh and was waiting as advised - not sure what to do now, as leisure travel to DXB before the Oct cut off seems unlikely (though another cancellation could be making me despondent!)
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, Southwest
I have a one-way 50% off award booking in Business/Club World from GLA to LHR to SFO in May. My 9:20 am GLA to LHR flight was cancelled, and I was automatically rebooked on a flight at 7 am (ouch!). Due to COVID restrictions in Scotland, that portion of my trip has now been cancelled.

What issues can I anticipate if I call to cancel that portion of the trip? I guess I'm not sure whether the GLA to LHR flight cancellation (under 3 hour change) will enable me to just drop that flight or whether they will consider it a rebooking. If they are likely to consider it a rebooking, I'd ideally like to travel the following day. There is award availability but it could be at the increased # of avois?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have you tried moving the flight yourself through MMB?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Well after several frustrating phone-calls, getting nowhere and being told differing terms and conditions, I have had a result whereby a very helpful chap on the Gold phone line has allowed me to change my flights to NYC to new dates in October. As the flights were cancelled he said I could choose any flights to NYC as long as the outbound flight occurred within one year of the booking. Avios availability was not necessary and I didn't need to cough up the additional 50% avios.

Very happy!
KARFA, dadio77 and RG1X like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Have you tried moving the flight yourself through MMB?
Not sure is this was to me, but yes, I've tried and the only options that come up are flights leaving GLA.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Mr.JimmyFlyer
Well after several frustrating phone-calls, getting nowhere and being told differing terms and conditions, I have had a result whereby a very helpful chap on the Gold phone line has allowed me to change my flights to NYC to new dates in October. As the flights were cancelled he said I could choose any flights to NYC as long as the outbound flight occurred within one year of the booking. Avios availability was not necessary and I didn't need to cough up the additional 50% avios.
There seems to be variability in the 'use the ticket within a year of booking' policy - some agents are insistent all travel must be completed by that date, and some say it's just the outbound that has to be flown by then. Anybody know which it actually is?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Genius1
There seems to be variability in the 'use the ticket within a year of booking' policy - some agents are insistent all travel must be completed by that date, and some say it's just the outbound that has to be flown by then. Anybody know which it actually is?
It's based on an IATA convention. The first sector has to be started within 1 year of the ticket's original date of issue (usually the day the reservation is booked or shortly thereafter), the final sector has to be dated within 1 year of the first sector, giving a notional maxima of just under 2 years. Obviously you can't book flights 2 years away, so in some cases you need to move flights with several stages.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:03 pm

Following up on my previous message above ... I ended up getting lucky. So glad I waited and didn't call a few days ago. My LHR to SFO flight was cancelled and changed to the next day this morning. I called and was able to drop the GLA to LHR leg no problem. I even received a few avios back (but no taxes as I was changing to origin).
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:47 am

We are rebooking cancelled leg of a 2-4-1 50% off flight to HKG/rtn from SIN.

We want to hedge on HKG being open to visitors in October, and therefore fly straight on to another destination (returning to HKG later or not). There is avios availability for where we want to fly on.
Can we book these additional flights at the time of rebooking the original flights, at get it all sewn into the same ticket (not hedging against transit restrictions in HKG, more against missed connections which could be around 120mins).

Also if we later want to amend one leg of the non-2-4-1 connections later, will this be an involuntary change that will involve repricing the whole ticket and loosing 50% discount on long haul flights?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Based on what the Chinese authorities have said about not opening up to visitors until 2022 at the earliest, and that it would extend to HK too, I would think October is going to be very unlikely for a trip to HK.

Also I think you have spotted that transit at HKG is usually only allowed if on the same ticket (at least that was the rules a month or two ago when I last checked). Unfortunately, you can't include none BA flights on your 2-4-1 booking so no chance of including any of these exHKG flight on the same ticket.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Based on what the Chinese authorities have said about not opening up to visitors until 2022 at the earliest, and that it would extend to HK too, I would think October is going to be very unlikely for a trip to HK.

Also I think you have spotted that transit at HKG is usually only allowed if on the same ticket (at least that was the rules a month or two ago when I last checked). Unfortunately, you can't include none BA flights on your 2-4-1 booking so no chance of including any of these exHKG flight on the same ticket.
Thanks
Ergh.
Really struggling on how to use these existing flights without having to start from zero with reward availability at 12mo out to a new destination...
Any chance that travelling without checked baggage and checking-in for onward flight prior to boarding inbound flight to HKG could be a workable fudge (i.e. no need to go landside to collect any baggage).
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Any chance that travelling without checked baggage and checking-in for onward flight prior to boarding inbound flight to HKG could be a workable fudge (i.e. no need to go landside to collect any baggage).
I think unlikely. The requirements in timatic seem explicit unfortunately:

3. Passengers transiting through Hong Kong SAR, China must:
- have a connecting flight booked on the same ticket, and
- have all the boarding passes printed, and
- have their baggage checked through until the final destination.
There are also stories of people being refused at check in because of this requirement Absolutely disgusted with BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.