Changing 50% Avios Flights

Old Jan 11, 21, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Changing 50% Avios Flights

Hi,

I'm sure this must have been raised but I can't find it. If I have a flight booked in the offer last year, I assume that if I change it I will need to stump up the other 50% of the Avios plus more if I am moving from off-peak to peak and any difference in taxes on the new booking. If it is a case of 50% more Avios I'll probably just go for a cheap cash booking with QR as I'm cheesed off with BA as I'm an August Gold and feel a little hard done by. But that's another thread that I am familiar with!

Thanks for any help and sorry if it's been raised before....
Old Jan 11, 21, 5:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is it a voluntary change or an involuntary one?

For the former, yes if you change expect to pay the avios difference. It may allow you to change online without the extra, but if you call you will be given the official policy.

If it is an involuntary change (so the result of a cancellation) you should be able to change up to end of June without any charge and without the need for reward availability.
Old Jan 11, 21, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks, yes, its voluntary. I could always play the waiting game as it's in early march....
Old Jan 11, 21, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Is it a voluntary change or an involuntary one?

For the former, yes if you change expect to pay the avios difference. It may allow you to change online without the extra, but if you call you will be given the official policy.

If it is an involuntary change (so the result of a cancellation) you should be able to change up to end of June without any charge and without the need for reward availability.
is that correct? Id perhaps naively assumed that you could rebook to any date within 1yr of the original ticketing if involuntary (eg KUL)
Old Jan 11, 21, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats View Post
Thanks, yes, its voluntary. I could always play the waiting game as it's in early march....
Definitely play the waiting game - cancel at T25hrs for refund less 35 only or FTV even on the day
Old Jan 11, 21, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Philb486 View Post
is that correct? Id perhaps naively assumed that you could rebook to any date within 1yr of the original ticketing if involuntary (eg KUL)
I would agree, and thats what the current coronavirus rebooking policy says. However, there are quite a few reports of agents saying end of June only which is what the original travel window for this promotion was. You should certainly push back if you want to change beyond then, and reference the principle guidelines.
Old Jan 11, 21, 7:02 am
Original Poster

I made a dummy change online to another off peak day and it said that I would get an 8.70 refund but no mention of additional Avios. I then had to tick the terms and conditions box and Continue. I bottled out at that stage just in case it would be too late to go back. Not sure when Avios would be calculated?
Old Jan 11, 21, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats View Post
I made a dummy change online to another off peak day and it said that I would get an 8.70 refund but no mention of additional Avios. I then had to tick the terms and conditions box and Continue. I bottled out at that stage just in case it would be too late to go back. Not sure when Avios would be calculated?
I would just try online if you know what dates you want to move it to. It would show avios due as well on the quote screen if the system thought extra avios were needed.

However, I suspect it will error out when you try to confirm due to the refund.
Old Jan 11, 21, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try online once I have definite dates. Or as definite as things get these days!
WLG787 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 21, 8:14 am

I've got flights (outbound May, inbound June) booked, (to HKG/SIN) booked during the sale; we almost certainly won't be allowed entry the way things are going, and I'm holding out on one or both flights being cancelled (indeed this was half in mind when we postponed our trip from Dec 2020 to May 2021 during the 50% off sale). I was under the assumption that if cancelled (either completely or pax only if cargo is still going), we could rebook on any flight up to a year since original booking (i.e. to early November) as per BAs terms and conditions. Is this not the case any more? In which case any disruption into June somewhat nullifies the whole purpose of the sale to the passenger.....
Old Jan 11, 21, 8:23 am

Yes for involuntary cancellations the policy to rebook up to a year from when you originally made the booking - so for these it would be up to October 2021 - is still current.

However, there have been a few stories posted of agents stating they have been told to only rebook these 50% rates up to end of June in order not to pay any avios. I think it is worth pushing back on the basis of the main rebooking policy. It can be seen here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32809399-post18.html
GBOAC likes this.
Old Jan 11, 21, 9:51 am

Programs: BA silver
Voluntarily cancelled my 50% Avios flights, and an Amex 241 yesterday. It took me 3 attempts to finalise. So as a data point.
Call 1: told that to cancel the flights would cost 50 phd. This was the usual 35 plus 15 for off line cancellation. Queried this as I couldn't cancel online, and was told this was 'inbuilt onto the system' and I would have to pay. Not offered any alternatives. So I declined to pay 50phd and cut the call.
Call 2: cancellation went through fine at 35 phd and was offered the 50% offer until the end of June but no further. Sadly my Amex voucher was then transferred back to my account as 'used', and thus not available for the future. Avios returned immediately. Told to expect the cash repayment in three weeks.
Call 3: Amex voucher moved back to 'live' by a competent guy in India who told me that even though it had already been extended by 6 months, I should ask to extend further in the event of not being able to use to the USA(original destination) by its expiry in December 2021. Claimed he had heard of random extensions happening
Moral; don't be afraid to ask!!
Old Jan 12, 21, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What did you get the 50% offer for? Any new Avios ticket or with any restrictions?
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by alien43 View Post
What did you get the 50% offer for? Any new Avios ticket or with any restrictions?
Yes, it was new bookings with BA using avios. This promotion was active in October last year, and this was the thread covering it AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just to add my personal experience. Booked a return during the 50% offer and flew the outbound last month.

Due to all the COVID issues in the UK I ended up changing that outbound date twice, both on the phone and then online, both times only had to pay small differences in taxes/fees. No additional avios.

Was only by a few days each time if that made a difference. Got to love the flexibility of avios bookings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: