Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by omk298
Is anyone able to find more details on what happened with my flight please? It was due to leave last night, the outbound from LHR (BA818) didn't arrive until 21.26 in CPH, by which time we had already been notified of an overnight delay.

The pilot today said "Can't get clear details from BA" and "Main issue was resourcing Heathrow T5", but I've already had an email apologising for the weather related disruption.

Thanks
For anyone interested in timescales for a response, I submitted a claim on the 23rd or 24th of Feb, and have just had a reply agreeing to pay expenses (although not quite the right amounts) and denying compensation.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Hi,
Had the following itinerary (booked via BA holidays in J)
Thursday BA48 19:15-12:30+1 SEA-LHR
Friday BA432 14:30-16:50 LHR-AMS
Friday 03:51 USA west coast time I got an email that the leg LHR-AMS got cancelled (13 days before scheduled SEA departure)
BA now put me on the BA444 19:35-21:55 LHR-AMS flight, so will be arriving 5hours later then scheduled.
Earlier BA440 doesn’t have 2J availability.

question: what can I expect from BA regarding compensation?
In my opinion the notice is within the 14 days time window, but not sure if BA will try to wiggle themselves out of this.
Tried to get rebooked on the direct DL flight SEA-AMS but agent said after consultation that she wasn’t allowed to do this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
How long for expenses to be refunded / damaged baggage to be replaced?

I thought this might be the logical place to post, given it relates (sort of) to compensation - admins feel free to relocate.

Two separate questions. First - typically, how long has it been taking recently for BA to refund expenses incurred due to overnight stay (delayed connection meaning missed original flight and placed on one the following day). All basic and resasonable costs (hotel room - agreed with BAH duty manager at the time); uber too and from hotel; breakfast.

Second - my bag made it back to me a day late and with the wheel (and corner it was attached to) ripped from the suitcase, so I've submitted a claim relating to that. Again, any idea on timescale for this to be resolved?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Baggage is a separate issues to EC261 but it is the same department that processes them. Pre pandemic BA used to be pretty quick in this area, under a week, two weeks maximum, but I suspect they have a backlog and until quite recently the backlog is growing. There are some reports in this thread - such as in the post two places before your post - where the Right to Care aspect was agreed in about 6 weeks.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just apply to CEDR next Saturday, when your 8 weeks is up.
just preparing the documentation for doing precisely that. It’s simply awful that it comes to this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have faith that BA will eventually refund me for my Holiday, UK261 and resultant expenses from the late February IT meltdown.

Am I deluded ?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello all, I wonder if you can advise. I keep getting this back from BA and I don't understand:

"We're sorry it was necessary to delay your flight from Warsaw on 08 March. Your claim's been refused because BA0801 on 08 March was delayed due to operational reasons.
I can assure you that your feedback has made a difference and that we’re using your comments to help us focus on how to improve our service.

I’ve had another look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasn’t changed and the response you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove the delay is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. In Recital 14 and 15 of EU Regulation 261/2004, extraordinary circumstances include weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision which gives rise to a long delay. This means you’re not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight."
Is someone able to check what the reason for the 6+ hours delay was for this flight: BA801 on 8 March 2022? It came into Warsaw the night before and then was meant to fly in the morning but remained at Warsaw all day until a replacement crew was flown in from London. Any advice welcome.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:46 am

Hi All,

To update regarding our delay back from MLE on the 20th February, after a strongly worded letter sent by RMSD to the BA HQ detailing how bad weather does not selectively chose to only affect the BA operation and how other airlines were able to operate on schedule on these days and that if they didn't agree, I would take matters further, they have decided that compensation is in fact due.

Thanks to all on this thread for your help, especially c-w-s.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sb1982
Is someone able to check what the reason for the 6+ hours delay was for this flight: BA801 on 8 March 2022? It came into Warsaw the night before and then was meant to fly in the morning but remained at Warsaw all day until a replacement crew was flown in from London. Any advice welcome.
That's a question you would need to ask within a day or two of the flight But I would wager it said OPER (operational) so triggering the response that you have had. In the absence of more details, that would normally trigger EC261. So the usual thing really - email back and ask for confirmation that their answer will not change and take it to CEDR.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a question you would need to ask within a day or two of the flight But I would wager it said OPER (operational) so triggering the response that you have had. In the absence of more details, that would normally trigger EC261. So the usual thing really - email back and ask for confirmation that their answer will not change and take it to CEDR.
Thank you. It has been this long as they have been taking ages to reply, but I find it odd that they are insisting it's 'operational' and then telling me that is the reason why we are not eligible. It's contradictory but twice they have said it. I will go back to them, and ask them to 'prove' it was an exceptional circumstance and what this circumstance was or I will go to CEDR, as so far they are telling me information that would in fact trigger EC261 - so bizarre. I have done this before and never got this weird reply.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I would recommend you instead do as I suggested. A quick read of the recent posts in this thread would suggest you would be best off not entering into a dialogue on this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by sb1982
Hello all, I wonder if you can advise. I keep getting this back from BA and I don't understand:

Unsure if this makes you feel better or worse, but the reply we got, relating to a similar-ish delay from Catania to LHR was word for word the exact same response, save for the core details. The circumstances of the delay sound similar, and the reasoning behind denial of EU261 in this message similarly self-contradictory. Sounds like they're being more than a little slapdash with the delay codes on the system, leading to some conflicting statements.

Owing to the excellent advice here we went straight to CEDR at this point and waiting for them to accept our case.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Blue
I've started my own thread about a flight cancellation with just under two weeks to go (this). Would it be best to wait until I've returned to London to apply for compensation? Somehow, I can see more things going wrong.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, wait until you get back - no reason to use time on this during traveling.

Please don't open more than one thread or posts about the same issue.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ankasi
I've started my own thread about a flight cancellation with just under two weeks to go (this). Would it be best to wait until I've returned to London to apply for compensation? Somehow, I can see more things going wrong.
You don't have a choice on this. EC261 is handled by Customer Relations and they are essentially for post-flight questions. Moreover EC261 itself is about the disruption caused to passengers, and at this point you haven't been disrupted. All EC261 claims must wait for the flights in question to be in the past, and in some circumstances the whole trip has been completed.
KARFA and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.