Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:46 am

Data point - following my moaning previously on here, i emailed Sean Doyle and cc'd in customer relations on Monday.

Received a phone call today from BA apologising for the delay in getting back to me, and confirming I was eligible for the full UK261 compensation along with reimbursement for covid tests that I had to get re-done. They read my bank details back to me and said it would be 10 working days for the refund....

Hopefully that's that!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Good. Generally speaking when BA confirms that money is going to be sent, they often say 10 or 14 days, it usually takes something like 3 days at the BA end, depending on weekends, and the rest is how your banking system works. The only problems I've seen in this space is if your bank isn't UK / Euro Zone / CAD / USD, these areas tend to work fine once the commitment has been made by BA to pay up.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Petroleum, BA Exec Club
I was on BA208 on the 30th of March and claimed EC261 compensation due to the late arrival of the aircraft. BA have responded with the below, which is incorrect.

"BA209 on 30 March was delayed by 191mins. This was partly due to system issues at the airport which delayed the flight by 158mins. The remaining minutes of the delay were caused by the previous aircraft arriving late after losing time in the air. As 33mins of the delay was outside of British Airways control, your claim has been refused."

From memory, G-XLEF was at LHR for some time previously. I didn't take a screenshot from FR24, could someone with access or to EF, kindly post or PM a screenshot showing G-XLEF previous and BA209 flight please? I will reply with the screenshot as well and also say this isn't justification or out with BA control to deny compensation going by the excellent advice here from CWS. If I a missing anything, advice greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ABZLocal
I was on BA208 on the 30th of March and claimed EC261 compensation due to the late arrival of the aircraft. BA have responded with the below, which is incorrect.

"BA209 on 30 March was delayed by 191mins. This was partly due to system issues at the airport which delayed the flight by 158mins. The remaining minutes of the delay were caused by the previous aircraft arriving late after losing time in the air. As 33mins of the delay was outside of British Airways control, your claim has been refused."

From memory, G-XLEF was at LHR for some time previously. I didn't take a screenshot from FR24, could someone with access or to EF, kindly post or PM a screenshot showing G-XLEF previous and BA209 flight please? I will reply with the screenshot as well and also say this isn't justification or out with BA control to deny compensation going by the excellent advice here from CWS. If I a missing anything, advice greatly appreciated.
That doesn’t sound like an ‘extraordinary circumstance’ to me in any event, they have not indicated why or how it was out of their control.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ABZLocal
… From memory, G-XLEF was at LHR for some time previously. I didn't take a screenshot from FR24, could someone with access or to EF, kindly post or PM a screenshot showing G-XLEF previous and BA209 flight please? I will reply with the screenshot as well and also say this isn't justification or out with BA control to deny compensation going by the excellent advice here from CWS. If I a missing anything, advice greatly appreciated.
G-XLEF arrived from IAD 30MAR at 10:31 (24 minutes early). It was delayed (BA209) out to MIA departing at 17:59 instead of 14:15.
ABZLocal likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
G-XLEF arrived from IAD 30MAR at 10:31 (24 minutes early). It was delayed (BA209) out to MIA departing at 17:59 instead of 14:15.
They are just blatantly lying now.

They should be fined heavily for every CEDR/MCOL case they lose.
omk298 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They are just blatantly lying now.

They should be fined heavily for every CEDR/MCOL case they lose.
I’m not sure it is a lie, I think the 33 minutes is referring to the inbound BA209 losing time in the air. Either way, not an extraordinary circumstance as defined by EC261.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Just as a reference for others, had a cancellation for an April flight within 14 days. Sent in request for compensation on 11th of April, received an answer this morning with confirming that I get my €250/£207.65 (reckon this is BAs equivalent of €250 either today or day of request), but happy with the amount anyway and the surprisingly quick handling of the case.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:42 pm

Hello,

I opened a CEDR dispute after BA ignored my delay complaint for over 8 weeks. After I opened the CEDR dispute (awaiting their assessment of my case), BA replied, denying my claim because the flight was delayed due to "operational reasons outside of their control". Should I withdraw my dispute with CEDR and follow up with BA (asking for confirmation their decision will not change), or keep my case open and ignore BA's reply (as it will probably go to CEDR anyway)?

Thanks for any advice
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would stick with the CEDR process. Occasionally I see reports of BA changing their minds after customer pushback, but it's rare. If your case is solid then when a different agent in BA gets your CEDR submission they may well relent anyway. Please keep the thread updated with the outcome.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:45 am

Last night I received cancellation notice for BA846 (LHR to WAW) on 5th May.

Is there a way of finding out the cancellation reason, as the email gave no indication?

As an aside, is the notice period to receive €250 compensation "less than 14 days" or "14 days or less"? I seem to be finding conflicting information.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:09 am
Original Poster

You won't be able to find out specifically the reason for an advance cancellation, but it's almost certainly due to insufficient staff resources. I don't think it matters, it is unlikely to be extraordinary circumstances if there is this much notice. You need to be notified of changes "at least two weeks" before departure to avoid compensation, so that hasn't happened in your case. As to the amount, it depends on what the alternative timings look like.
BruceyBonus likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As to the amount, it depends on what the alternative timings look like.
Thanks for the detailed reply. There's no earlier flight on the same day and the next departure arrives 6hr 25mins later.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
I recall that EU261 also applies for flights moved earlier?

Can anyone advise on the following:
MAD-LHR-JFK all with BA booked for 5th May. Advised today (<14 days) that MAD-LHR is canceled and auto re-booked onto flight 90 minutes earlier.
Is that eligible for any compensation?
Also, if I choose to rebook the whole thing one day earlier (where better flight times are available), can I still claim due to the original cancelation?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

For notifications of between 7 and 14 days - the most common at the moment - the relevant time bands are 2 hours early departure to 4 hours late arrival. So 90 minutes earlier departure is insufficient to trigger EC261. You are able to move to the day before, or up to 3 days before, or 14 days later. THe time bands for EC261 stick regardless of what you end up doing, so had the change been greater, and thus eligible for EC261, then you would get that compensation even if you went on another service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.