Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Isn't BA being untoward and also underhand - when giving what is effectively a dishonest reply to people as standard. It's not like it's open to interpretation, BA is telling most people that operational cancellations are not eligible for EU compensation - that is a lie at best, and surely someone should investigate these practices.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by raunow
Seems BA now claims COVID is a waiver for all disruptions. Suggestions on how to proceed ?
I can't see the date of travel on that, but I'm assuming it's in the last few months. In which case the same advice as the many recent and similar cases: ask for confirmation their answer won't change and then take it to CEDR (if you are not in a hurry) or MCOL.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sb1982
Isn't BA being untoward and also underhand - when giving what is effectively a dishonest reply to people as standard. It's not like it's open to interpretation, BA is telling most people that operational cancellations are not eligible for EU compensation - that is a lie at best, and surely someone should investigate these practices.
Yes, the aspect which is troubling is that many people will simply believe what they are being told here, and in the most common response they neither state that this is a controversial perspective, nor indicate that CEDR / MCOL could give another point of view. I am minded to raise this with the relevant CAA director, Paul Smith.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the aspect which is troubling is that many people will simply believe what they are being told here, and in the most common response they neither state that this is a controversial perspective, nor indicate that CEDR / MCOL could give another point of view. I am minded to raise this with the relevant CAA director, Paul Smith.
If you could do that, it would be very useful - I fear BA is setting a bad precedent in the last couple of months - using their own operational failures as an excuse to effectively con most people out of their regal rights to compensation (most people, like my sister, will take their reply at face value and in good faith, and that is very unfair).
DelTroon likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Question - Our flight from AMS-LHR on 4/26 was delayed by a few hours - original delay was supposed to 1.5 hours but it ended up being more like 2.5 hours. The original flight number was changed as well. We missed our connecting flight in LHR and were rebooked on a flight that landed in JFK 4:10 after the original time. Once we boarded in AMS the pilot said the plane had been delayed leaving LHR due to a 2 hour ground stop and so was delayed leaving AMS but then also said that the additional time was due to ground crew shortage with loading the plane. Is this out of the compensation rules?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:28 am
Original Poster

It should be in scope for EC261 - it sounds like a series of events under BA's control led to a 4 hour delay. So I would certainly claim, expect a rejection, and continue on to CEDR.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC
One I would like to check with the experts...

Friend had return flights from London to Copenhagen.
The return from Copenhagen to London was cancelled with less than 14 days notice.
Their original scheduled time was to leave Copenhagen at 19:10 but they accepted to shorten their trip and leave earlier the same day at 10:50

BA have offered €125 compensation, ie. half the amount of the €250 because their arrival has not "exceeded 2 hours" difference from the original scheduled time.
Is this right? By accepting an alternative flight that was earlier they have halved their compensation but if they had accepted a flight the following day they would have been due duty of care and €250?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
BA have offered €125 compensation, ie. half the amount of the €250 because their arrival has not "exceeded 2 hours" difference from the original scheduled time.
Is this right? By accepting an alternative flight that was earlier they have halved their compensation but if they had accepted a flight the following day they would have been due duty of care and €250?
See posts 823 and 827 above. Had they gone the day later, on the basis that they could not go so early, then yes they could certainly have claimed the right to care / hotel cost, and potentially the higher rate too if the previous service was unviable for them.
plunet likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's not your responsibility, it's over to BA to prove extraordinary circumstances etc. See some of the last 30 or so of the most recent data points, flights are being cancelled because BA has not got sufficient staff to run the whole schedule, so BA are selectively cancelling services to keep the show on the road. They are not moving people to other airlines like KLM to minimise disrupton. As per the other data points, send a short note saying "kindly confirm your answer will not change" and then take the matter to CEDR or the small claims court.
Thanks, just send a note to BA. Will update when I get a reply.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:00 am

Re. Multiple EU261 claims, would BA be happy for me to claim under the one reference (form) submission, or do I need to do individually for each claim? Also, if anyone can recommend an template to use that would be great.

Also, non EU261 related, I’m owed a small refund from an incorrect cash element refund of a an Avios + Cash booking, it’s maybe one better explained over the phone, is their an option or is CR and Refunds impossible to reach right now?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:09 am
Original Poster

I would split out each claim since each claim will get its own investigation and you'll have to pursue them separately if BA turns them down. For refunds, I would use the usual portal, not least to get a tracking number.
ba.com/complaints
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:23 am

Hi wondering if anyone could help.

Last we had a multi city trip with BA. It was Edinburgh to London 1 hour connection, London New York going

Orlando to miami 1 hour, miami to London 2 hour, London to Edinburgh.

All flights were cancelled due to covid, but i hadn't noticed the Orlando miami flight was still running.

I received no refund or future travel vouchers. When I called they said no refund was available as it goes down as a no show on the Orlando miami flight.

I have sent a complaint but haven't heard back. But I can't believe I could lose Ł2000 for one flight when I couldn't get in the country.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas here
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Pretty sure that if you had any cancellations and it was one ticket then it's fully refundable. How did you contact BA?
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Pretty sure that if you had any cancellations and it was one ticket then it's fully refundable. How did you contact BA?
hi I found 0800 727 800 online. I emailed refunds around a week ago with no reply. Yes it was one booking with 1 reference number. Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Danmcqi
Last we had a multi city trip with BA. It was Edinburgh to London 1 hour connection, London New York going

Orlando to miami 1 hour, miami to London 2 hour, London to Edinburgh.
Welcome to Flyertalk. Normally you can't "no show" for a flight with sectors cancelled beforehand since the ticket would no longer be valid. When you no show all remaining sectors would also be cancelled from the point of no-show but of course they were already cancelled. However MCO to MIA would have been hosted on another system, SABRE, whereas everything else is hosted on Amadeus and so it was still alive when otherwise it would not have been - so that sector was kind of disconnected from the rest of the itinerary. Normally you are best to arrange the refund before the first flight and I don't see the exact chronology here, so I can't comment. But I nevetheless believe you should get a full refund, and unless one is forthcoming then you should either ask your bank to charge back the transaction, or look to make an application to the small claims court.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.