Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled just under two weeks before due to fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Blue

Last night my flight BA955 (dep. 20:20) from Munich back to London on 2nd May was cancelled, offering me the option to refund or re-book. I chose the latter now flying back on BA953 at 16:55, so just under 3 1/2 hours earlier.
Wreaked havoc a little on my plans as the day in Munich has now become a bit "unusable".
Under EU261, should I be entitled to compensation or have I shot myself in the foot by accepting the re-booking option?

If I am honest, I would not be too fussed as work paid for the flight and I paid for the upgrade, so it would be a small nightmare to sort out.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:26 am

Yes - there was a recent EU ruling that leaving -1hr or more early counts for compensation

I'm surprised BA are cancelling flights at ~13 days - you'd think they'd either be organised enough to do it at 15+ days or a last minute thing!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Have a look at the main EC261 thread for other people's experiences of this. You would potentially be able to claim EC261 for changes under 2 weeks where the departure time is more than 2 hours early.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes, I have just claimed for 2 flights cancelled with 8 days to go where I had to travel the night before on the outbound and 9 hours early on the return in the end.
They must be running nearly on empty in some departments in order for so many cancellations to be happening so close to departure dates.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Yes - there was a recent EU ruling that leaving -1hr or more early counts for compensation
At -13 days, it is 2 hrs before, not 1hr. And it is not a recent ECJ ruling. It is, and has always been, explicitly stated in the text of the Regulation (the recent ruling is about whether a rescheduling to an earlier departure time should be treated as a cancellation, to which the answer is 'yes')..
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Blue
Great, thanks everyone.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by NickB
At -13 days, it is 2 hrs before, not 1hr. And it is not a recent ECJ ruling. It is, and has always been, explicitly stated in the text of the Regulation (the recent ruling is about whether a rescheduling to an earlier departure time should be treated as a cancellation, to which the answer is 'yes')..
Yes sorry, you are right, muddled the two things up! Time for another coffee!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Are there more cancellations coming through for May then? Great…
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Are there more cancellations coming through for May then? Great…
I'm pretty sure there are cancellations every day for the following week at the moment
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Well I never... I was unaware you could get compo for an earlier flight. Is this even if you accept the changes? My flight Tomorrow was brought forward from 15:30 to 07:15 and I was given 5 days notice. In the end a meeting by the customer on that day was cancelled so no hardship but still.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CT-UK
Well I never... I was unaware you could get compo for an earlier flight. Is this even if you accept the changes?
Almost by definition, if you fly on a different flight than originally scheduled, it is because you have accepted the changes. It is not as if the airline will send the police to frogmarch you onto the plane. Where the issue might arise is when you are offered a flight within parameters which exclude compensation and you choose a flight outside those parameters. Short of that, however, compensation should be due.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And that aspect is not new, hence why normally BA cancels services more than 2 weeks out. This is discussed in the main EC261 thread, where I would say half or more of recent data points are about changes that result in early departures.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yes, I have just claimed for 2 flights cancelled with 8 days to go where I had to travel the night before on the outbound and 9 hours early on the return in the end.
They must be running nearly on empty in some departments in order for so many cancellations to be happening so close to departure dates.
Oh that happened to me! They canceled my flight with a replacement to arrive too late so we flew the day early and had to get an additional night's hotel. Sounds like a claim is worth pursuing for me as well.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Oh that happened to me! They changed it flight to arrive too late so we flew the day early and had to get an additional night's hotel. Sounds like a claim is worth pursuing for me as well.
The key test was whether BA offered you a service within the allowed margins or not, which in most cases is whether MMB gave you an option which did not result in compensation. If you then choose to go on another service, that's OK, but the test remains.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:11 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Well Claim form submitted which took all of 2 mins. Lets see what happens.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.