Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Wouldn't get your hopes up for a swift resolution! I sent an open and shut 261 claim on January 19th and have heard nothing other than the automated replies since. This is despite chasing up on Twitter and am chasing email after two months to customer relations and direct to Sean Doyle.
Finally heard back today:

Dear Mr EDIwanderer

An update from British Airways

Thank you for your email to our Chairman and CEO, Sean Doyle. As a member of his Customer Relations team, he's asked me to contact you directly. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

We’re sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight to Newark on 17 January 2022. We don’t underestimate how much this must have disrupted your travel plans. We take all reasonable measures to avoid cancelling a flight and we’ll always consider if there are any alternative solutions available before we make a decision.

I’ve checked the details of your journey and I’m pleased to advise you’re entitled to compensation for the cancellation of your flight, BA0185 on 17 January. The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3,500km. Because you arrived at your destination within four hours of your scheduled arrival time, you’re entitled to €300.00 (£250.52) in compensation, which is 50% of the full amount. I’ve raised a bank transfer for this amount in your local currency, which will be paid directly to your TSB bank account. Please allow around 21 working days for this payment to show in your bank account.

Once again, thanks for contacting us and I'm sorry about your recent experience.

Best regards

xXXXXxXX
British Airways Customer Relations
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Finally heard back today:

Dear Mr EDIwanderer

An update from British Airways

Thank you for your email to our Chairman and CEO, Sean Doyle. As a member of his Customer Relations team, he's asked me to contact you directly. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

We’re sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight to Newark on 17 January 2022. We don’t underestimate how much this must have disrupted your travel plans. We take all reasonable measures to avoid cancelling a flight and we’ll always consider if there are any alternative solutions available before we make a decision.

I’ve checked the details of your journey and I’m pleased to advise you’re entitled to compensation for the cancellation of your flight, BA0185 on 17 January. The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3,500km. Because you arrived at your destination within four hours of your scheduled arrival time, you’re entitled to €300.00 (£250.52) in compensation, which is 50% of the full amount. I’ve raised a bank transfer for this amount in your local currency, which will be paid directly to your TSB bank account. Please allow around 21 working days for this payment to show in your bank account.

Once again, thanks for contacting us and I'm sorry about your recent experience.

Best regards

xXXXXxXX
British Airways Customer Relations
is it name.surname @ba.com that I need?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by wmaciej
is it name.surname @ba.com that I need?
It is, but there’s an initial in there too. Easily found with Google.
wmaciej likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
It is, but there’s an initial in there too. Easily found with Google.
cheers!
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I have done a few successful EU261 claims in the past (and I have read the posts at the start of the thread too) so I have some experience here but can someone help me with a view on if I have a potential valid claim for my situation?
  • BA holiday booking (flight & car) for 3 people all in J.
  • Outbound: NCL-LHR (BA), LHR-MIA (AA), MIA-TPA (AA)
  • Inbound: TPA-ORD (AA), ORD-LHR (BA), LHR-NCL (BA)
All went well when we were in Florida (and I was looking forward to the 880 TPs that will help me retain gold) but there was a delay on the AA operated TPA-ORD segment (mainly due to a fault on the cargo door) that caused us to miss the connection in Chicago for the ORD-LHR leg (and therefore the final LHR-LHR part).

No BA staff at ORD (despite being at the gate only minutes after the plane departed) so had to sort out my own accommodation and spend 2 hours on the phone trying to get hold of someone who could rebook me (it was a BA holidays ticket). Ultimately we got rebooked the following day (thanks to the BA holidays duty office) but in the end we still landed in NCL 19 hours late.

The rebooked ORD-LHR was in J but there was not enough space at the front on the LHR-NCL flight so we were downgraded to Y on that leg. I will of course seek reimbursement for the hotel etc and original routing credit for the lower number of TPs on the downgraded leg.

2 questions:
  1. Can I do an EU 261 claim against BA (they were the ticketing carrier, flew the longest segment and ultimately got me to NCL late) or would this be seen as (non-EU carrier) AA's responsibility as it was their "fault"?
  2. It sounds petty but downgrading the final leg - is it even worth pursuing a price adjustment?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:03 am

Wouldn't get your hopes up for a swift resolution! I sent an open and shut 261 claim on January 19th and have heard nothing other than the automated replies since. This is despite chasing up on Twitter and am chasing email after two months to customer relations and direct to Sean Doyle.
I must be lucky. My flight from MEX landed a few minutes over the 3 hours threshold on 31st March. I submitted a claim for EUR300pp on 3rd April (using the simple template on ba.com), today I have received confirmation that the claim will be honoured. Now waiting for the cash to show up in my account.

On the other hand, still awaiting a reply from BAH for an issue going back to August!
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
2 questions:
  1. Can I do an EU 261 claim against BA (they were the ticketing carrier, flew the longest segment and ultimately got me to NCL late) or would this be seen as (non-EU carrier) AA's responsibility as it was their "fault"?
  2. It sounds petty but downgrading the final leg - is it even worth pursuing a price adjustment?
1) Unfortunately that is just the peril of using AA and similar airlines outwith Europe. They were the operating airline and operating airline is all that matters in 99% of cases including this one. And that means I can't see any basis for delay compensation. And possibly not for Right to Care either, but hopefully that will be met, there would be other consumer protections for this area.
2) Yes, you can seek the downgrade reimbursement, but it won't be very much at all. It may be better to seek a customer relation gesture in Avios in return for not pursuing that aspect.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
I must be lucky. My flight from MEX landed a few minutes over the 3 hours threshold on 31st March. I submitted a claim for EUR300pp on 3rd April (using the simple template on ba.com), today I have received confirmation that the claim will be honoured. Now waiting for the cash to show up in my account.
It is a hard barrier which is probably the only way to handle it. 2 hours 59 minutes = zero, 3 hours 1 minute and it's potentially 300€
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:14 am

Ongoing EU261 CEDR applicatoin.
First Class Avios flights cancelled, no rebooking offered beyond ticket validity. Based on what others have said here, CEDR has a good chance of yeilding results.
Put in an application saying I wanted to travel at a convenient time in the future. But the application only allowed for a request in GBP. So I put in the cash equivalent of the 'lost' tickets (which was close to 20k), but make it clear I wanted to travel rather than get cash.
Now CEDR have got back to me saying they can only accept requests for compensation up to 10k, would I be OK with them putting this compensation request to BA. Now the reality is that if BA were to actually give me 10k I would take it, book a cash fare on our planned trip (probably in Prem Econ) and take my chances on a new Avios first trip further into the future.

BUT I'm just surprised that CEDR do not seem to be recognising my request for opportunity to rebook at a time of my convenience.
I presume that BA would prefer to rebook me rather than actually give me cash, as the marginal cost to them would be (much) less.
Its panning out weirdly.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Ongoing EU261 CEDR applicatoin.
A number of comments about this.

- firstly I am currently thinking MCOL is better since CEDR has turned down at least one of these approaches, and upheld their reading of BA's conditions of carriage. However from my reading of the above BA have not offered you a rebooking at any point (?)
- Yes £10,000 is the limit for CEDR,
- You don't have to put a cash amount, you can ask in the text that BA is ordered to rebook, this is within CEDR's spec, but wouldn't be within MCOL's procedures. But if you put in for compensation then I think that's complicating the issue.
- You do have the right to change your submission to CEDR, though that does restart the clock. Not that CEDR seems that bothered about sticking to timetable anyway.
- Actually BA's preference would be to offer a full cash refund of what you gave them.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A number of comments about this.

- firstly I am currently thinking MCOL is better since CEDR has turned down at least one of these approaches, and upheld their reading of BA's conditions of carriage. However from my reading of the above BA have not offered you a rebooking at any point (?)
- Yes £10,000 is the limit for CEDR,
- You don't have to put a cash amount, you can ask in the text that BA is ordered to rebook, this is within CEDR's spec, but wouldn't be within MCOL's procedures. But if you put in for compensation then I think that's complicating the issue.
- You do have the right to change your submission to CEDR, though that does restart the clock. Not that CEDR seems that bothered about sticking to timetable anyway.
- Actually BA's preference would be to offer a full cash refund of what you gave them.
BA did offer rebooking just any time within ticket validity, which I explained to them was not convenient for me.
I tried to enter non-cash amount but CEDR form insisted on an amount. I fully explained in the text I wanted CEDR to order a rebook
This was an avios booking so I certainly did not pay the amount claimed, but that was the amount that it would have cost me to rebook using cash. I'm hoping BA's 'choice' from CEDR will be give me cash to book at time of my convenience (since there is no avios), or allow me to rebook.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold & LH FTL
Just a quick question in regards to compensation in this specific case: BA SCL-LHR flight delayed by two days due to IT meltdown, less than 24h warning.

BA has thankfully confirmed compensation is due.
The amount is set as £501.23 (ie converted from 600€).
My understanding is that UK261 rather than EU261 would be the applicable legislation here, hence it should be £520.

It’s just £19 difference so I don’t think I’ll make a big fuss but just wanted to get an understanding from the experts here if I’m mistaken.

Cheers!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:23 am
Original Poster

You are not mistaken. From the data points upthread you will get the extra £19 if you hassle BA for your Brexit dividend.
GermanBloke and sayling like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GermanBloke
It’s just £19 difference so I don’t think I’ll make a big fuss but just wanted to get an understanding from the experts here if I’m mistaken.
If the difference was £19 in your favour, I'm sure they would have given you £520
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If the difference was £19 in your favour, I'm sure they would have given you £520
So cynical
DYKWIA and Tobias-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.