Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

March 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Weary Nomad
Yesterday 18th Jan received email from BA that my 20th March / 25th March, Heathrow / Malta / Heathrow flights were cancelled. The same day I submitted the webform requesting a quote for Avios rather than cash refund. Today received an email confirming the Avios amount which they asked me to respond to if I wanted to accept. This part of the refund process seems to be really efficient and painless
That is the problem. The vast majority of airlines are happy to give us vouchers and avios instead of cash refunds

When it comes to alternative methods of refund they are always efficient and painless. When it comes to cash refunds...That is another story!

Saying that BA has been extremely good with cash refunds compare to some other airlines.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177
That is the problem. The vast majority of airlines are happy to give us vouchers and avios instead of cash refunds
The ‘vast majority’ of airlines give Avios?!
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is something called Reaccom which does indeed put people on nearby flights. It's a module within Altéa. The only change that I am aware of here is that some of the internal limits have widened from a few hours to a few days at least for longhaul. If you consider the world pre-Covid, on a route like DUS, which has multiple flights a day, being shifted automatically to the nearest operating service is a good thing on the whole. It doesn't affect your refund options, you can still do that.

If it happens again, and you have clear evidence of the cancellation (e.g. the email or text message) you can use the refund webform online instead of calling, the link to which is to be found in the main Cancel / Rebook thread (and by conicidence above). But if you want a refund in the form of Avios then you would need to call.
Thank you so much! i was surprised as i have had a fair few flights cancelled since the pandemic and this totally makes sense.

Just for info, the rescheduled flight was for a whopping 6.5 hours later which, had the world gone back to normal then and i would need to get to germany, would be too late.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Confus
The ‘vast majority’ of airlines give Avios?!
You know what i mean. Alternative methods of refund. Avios, miles, vouchers you name it....
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
more changes happening now as my LHR-SFO 285 on a thursday was axed and it looks like SF is back to 3/x week at least the week i was booked for.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Silver, Accor Platinum, BA Blue
BA57 (LHR>JNB) departing 8th March and returning BA54 departing 23 March.

Just received the cancellation email.

That's the honeymoon definitely off then, just need the travel agents to give us our deposits back now (pushed the trip already)!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by FrequentSherm
BA57 (LHR>JNB) departing 8th March and returning BA54 departing 23 March.

Just received the cancellation email.

That's the honeymoon definitely off then, just need the travel agents to give us our deposits back now (pushed the trip already)!
Same for March 29. Was fully expecting to be stuck with vouchers for this one, but the canx has come through, and nice and early at that. Also had April FAO flights shifted to LHR today, so a busy morning on the phone to BA tomorrow...
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
JNB now appears to be cancelled until 15 April (when, somewhat optimistically, there are two flights scheduled).
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My £999 CW to CPT got the chop tonight. Was a BAH so I’ll take a refund. I’m sure these great fares will be dangled again
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the problem is even if they are cancelled, you can only rebook up to a year from when you originally made the booking. For the 50% sale bookings this will be up to October 2021. Added to that, it seems there are several reports of agents saying you can only rebook these avios sale bookings up to the original sale period, so to end of June 2021.
An update on this - thanks for all the advice, but...
I called BA expecting the worst, but they rebooked us for November, over a year from the original booking date, and outside the 50% sale window, for no extra charge or avios. Perfectly straightforward process, lovely helpful chap (I did call the gold line so don't know if this was a factor...). New ticket numbers arrived immediately.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
My £999 CW to CPT got the chop tonight. Was a BAH so I’ll take a refund. I’m sure these great fares will be dangled again
I hope the £999 deals come back too... for some destinations they were unprecedented (but then again so is the pandemic)...
acucobol likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:30 am

Our LHR--> CPT flight on 17th March was cancelled last night, waiting for them to cancel the return which was scheduled for 2nd April. Originally, the trip was booked for Nov 20 then pushed back to 3rd Feb and finally 17th March. Trying to get to SA to attend to my aged mother's care needs but it seems like we are doomed to not go. Now exploring dates in September. We were happy to quarantine at home for 2 weeks after returning as it is not very different to what we are doing right now. Neither of us want to, or more importantly can afford to in terms of loss of earnings, spend 10 days locked up in a hotel room. We both agree that if we were to be locked up then after 10 days only one person will emerge from the room!
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just called and cancelled my CPT (virtually no hold) they were firm on not moving the £999 past 07/08/2021 without a fare reprice, which I expected, and not wanting my first trip to SA to be in their winter, I took back the deposit and will try again next deal that comes along !
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I had an Amex 2-4-1 trip booked to Rio 4-11th March. Flights were scheduled to restart on 1st March, but with the current situation I've been hoping for a cancellation. Yesterday BA249/248 (LHR-GIG and v.v.) were removed from sale so a cancellation is imminent, I originally booked in September, but then cancelled and rebooked during the 50% Avios sale, hopefully they'll reaccomodate us to later in the year at the same rate.
jonkx likes this.

Last edited by GK1981; Jan 29, 2021 at 6:47 am
Old Jan 30, 2021, 6:25 am

I’m surprised my mid March HKG flight still not cancelled, all Feb out bound to HKG are cancelled and I can’t see HK gov will open the border to U.K. arrivals anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.