Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

March 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
LHR-ZRH down to 1x day in March! Seems to assume there'll be no prospect of Easter skiing?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
LHR-ZRH down to 1x day in March! Seems to assume there'll be no prospect of Easter skiing?
Entry into Switzerland from the UK is almost entirely banned, and I really can't see that changing by Easter. There might be slightly better prospects for summer walking holidays...
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Has anyone used the online cancellation/refund form - if so, what timescales for refunds to appear?
It’s exactly the same process as calling, just avoids the need to speak to someone. So if it’s a simple booking (BA’s/Amadeus’s definition, not yours!) then it’ll pass through the system within one working day, and be back with you in however much time your card company takes to deal with it. If it’s complex, it goes into the same queue as everyone else for manual processing. I think this is mainly under 2 weeks now.

Only slight variation is to add a day or two to the webforms if submitting on Fri/Sat, as I don’t think they’re handled over the weekend.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:59 pm

Today received notification of these cancellations:
19 Mar LHR - TIA
23 Mar TIA - LHR

It's a BAH booking so I guess that they will do the refund themselves rather than us calling in to request it.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:45 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
LHR-VLC 16 March
VLC-LHR 20 March
both cancelled. These were rebookings from the first wave of cancellations in March 2020. So I've now entered my second year of cancellations. Many more yet to come I fear.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:26 am

My flight to dusseldorf on the 5th March was cancelled on Sunday - it took me ages to get through to get a refund and they had automatically put me on a later flight- is this something new?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by lcylocal
As I understand, formally and legally, we still have the tiers, it is just that the whole country is on Tier 4.
The country isnt on Tier 4 - We are in lockdown and the restrictions are higher than T4. (Schools are closed, bans on Takeaway alcohol etc.) Release to Tier 4 will be the first relaxation. I long for Tier 3 and a haircut
LCY8737 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
The country isnt on Tier 4 - We are in lockdown and the restrictions are higher than T4. (Schools are closed, bans on Takeaway alcohol etc.) Release to Tier 4 will be the first relaxation. I long for Tier 3 and a haircut
actually that’s not the case. All of England is under tier 4 with a few tweaks around businesses which can open and removal of the allowance to leave home for outdoor leisure. We are currently under the legislation dating from 2 December which introduced tier 1-3, and the amendment in late December which added tier 4.

more information in the local lockdown thread in the uk board.

EDIT: although I will add I am keen for a haircut too, had one booked for 7 January so bad planning on my part!
86BA7 and wilsnunn like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 19, 2021 at 4:59 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Has anyone used the online cancellation/refund form - if so, what timescales for refunds to appear?
I received a LHR-LCA cancellation email on 7th Jan and filled in the online form the same day.

The refund hit my amex account on 16th Jan.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by Lioneye
I received a LHR-LCA cancellation email on 7th Jan and filled in the online form the same day.

The refund hit my amex account on 16th Jan.
Ok, thanks for the responses - so it seems to work.

That said, I had a change which initially appeared in the new MMB disruption-recovery format, with a link to accept/cancel - I didn't accept of cancel at that stage. Now the alternate flight has also been cancelled and the only option given now is to call, with no online refund option.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ok, thanks for the responses - so it seems to work.

That said, I had a change which initially appeared in the new MMB disruption-recovery format, with a link to accept/cancel - I didn't accept of cancel at that stage. Now the alternate flight has also been cancelled and the only option given now is to call, with no online refund option.
I don't think there is a link to an online refund option within MMB in any case (only a voucher option). For a cash refund without calling you need to go to the separate web form and complete the details there: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...=covidn_refund

Edit: do heed the warnings on the page, this is only to be used where a flight has actually been cancelled by BA.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by volar
I don't think there is a link to an online refund option within MMB in any case (only a voucher option). For a cash refund without calling you need to go to the separate web form and complete the details there: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...=covidn_refund

Edit: do heed the warnings on the page, this is only to be used where a flight has actually been cancelled by BA.
So since I think November/December this has changed. If you click on cancellation options in MMB it takes you to the FTV application page. However, there is now a note at the top which states:

What if your flight has been cancelled?

You can apply for a refund equal to the value of your booking. Head to our application form to find out more and request a refund today.

Apply for a refund. Alternatively you can also request your refund by contacting our call centre.
If you follow the link to apply for a refund it will take you to this page where you can request a refund for bookings in which flights have been cancelled https://www.britishairways.com/trave...=covidn_refund

[EDIT: but yes i agree no direct link to the refund page from MMB and you get taken via the FTV page]
jerry a. laska and volar like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
My flight to dusseldorf on the 5th March was cancelled on Sunday - it took me ages to get through to get a refund and they had automatically put me on a later flight- is this something new?
There is something called Reaccom which does indeed put people on nearby flights. It's a module within Altéa. The only change that I am aware of here is that some of the internal limits have widened from a few hours to a few days at least for longhaul. If you consider the world pre-Covid, on a route like DUS, which has multiple flights a day, being shifted automatically to the nearest operating service is a good thing on the whole. It doesn't affect your refund options, you can still do that.

If it happens again, and you have clear evidence of the cancellation (e.g. the email or text message) you can use the refund webform online instead of calling, the link to which is to be found in the main Cancel / Rebook thread (and by conicidence above). But if you want a refund in the form of Avios then you would need to call.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is something called Reaccom which does indeed put people on nearby flights. It's a module within Altéa. The only change that I am aware of here is that some of the internal limits have widened from a few hours to a few days at least for longhaul. If you consider the world pre-Covid, on a route like DUS, which has multiple flights a day, being shifted automatically to the nearest operating service is a good thing on the whole. It doesn't affect your refund options, you can still do that.

If it happens again, and you have clear evidence of the cancellation (e.g. the email or text message) you can use the refund webform online instead of calling, the link to which is to be found in the main Cancel / Rebook thread (and by conicidence above). But if you want a refund in the form of Avios then you would need to call.
Yesterday 18th Jan received email from BA that my 20th March / 25th March, Heathrow / Malta / Heathrow flights were cancelled. The same day I submitted the webform requesting a quote for Avios rather than cash refund. Today received an email confirming the Avios amount which they asked me to respond to if I wanted to accept. This part of the refund process seems to be really efficient and painless
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
you are entitled to a refund of the seat fees. It’s done on a separate page

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ing_claim_form
many thanks for this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.