Wiki Posts
Search

Mega Club Europe cabins

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DFB_london
in my experience (about two dozen flights since April) the busy-bodies who think they have the ‘right’ to police *their interpretation * of any rule (ie often wrongly- like for those with asthma), are always the ones who ignore distancing on boarding/leaving and seem to think that a face mask means distancing, hand washing or simple politeness are no longer needed.

In one case, the crew quite firmly told the offenders to leave them to do their job as only they knew who had underlying conditions.

Frankly BA crew do this very well.

as for spacing/distancing a little self responsibility wouldn’t go amiss. If someone is too close to you then move, or leave the situation.

Interesting reading on Euronews (use google) about how much lower risk flying is.
It seems like we all could use a major dose of common sense here. If I feel someone is potentially putting me at risk, I'm going to do something about it. When queuing up, I find people don't socially distance. So I use my rollerboard as a spacer between myself and the person behind me. Is that ok, or am I obligated to allow them to breath down my neck so they can reach the front of the queue one or two nanoseconds earlier? When in proximity to someone not wearing a mask, I typically move away. But in the case I cited above I had strategically carved out an area in the corner of the baggage reclaim when the young man came up next to me with his mask around his neck. I have no problem with what he did, although I wish he was considerate enough to wear his mask around others. All I did -- and I absolutely will not apologize for it, notwithstanding the insults you and others want to hurl at me -- is politely ask him to put on his mask. He did so, and everyone was happy. Except apparently for you and some others on here who feel that, by protecting myself, I had grossly violated this guy's rights to wear his mask around his neck.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:46 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I agree we have to comply with government instructions, but this obsession with ‘holding one’s breath and turning the other way’ when someone passes them in the street has gone too far. It’s not Ebola. People seem to have misunderstood that from the outset. Surely we can’t all share the same air on this planet at this rate? I’ve had cumulative high viral load exposure at work for hours on end to people with the disease not wearing masks (the binliner that I wear being the only added PPE apart from my own mask) and I’ve managed not to get it thus far.

Last edited by Jed; Dec 5, 2020 at 7:51 am
Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Blumie
While waiting at the baggage reclaim area at T5 Thursday afternoon, a young man stood next to me with a mask around his neck, but not his nose and mouth. I politely asked him to put it on and thankfully he complied. Not far away was an older (60s maybe) couple who were not wearing their masks. They were far enough away from me that I didn't feel the need to police them, but still I was surprised given their age how cavalier they were acting. (Then again, observing them from a little distance it didn't appear that they particularly cared for one another, so perhaps they were just trying to be put out of their misery. At least that's the story I'm going with.)
To be honest, if you had approached me like that (I.e. breaching the distancing you seem to preach) and told me to do something to make you feel more comfortable, I would have told you politely to sod off. This self-policing has gone nuts - if you feel offended you could surely move away rather than go close to me to ask something of me? Seems very contradictory to me..
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Are you suggesting that it is improper ...
It’s certainly improper to have yet another thread in the BA forum trashed by off-topic arguments about mask-wearing.

Folk who wish to continue down this track are politely requested to head off to the Coronavirus forum.

Thank you for your co-operation.

The mod team

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 5, 2020 at 8:12 am Reason: Terminology changed. Seems some members took offence over a riff on the post above this one.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
To be clear, there was no problem with mask wearing on the flight. The crew made several announcements to remind people.

But the queueing in the aisle at the front wasn’t really dealt with. I mentioned it to the CSD and he then started reminding people to wait in their seats.

My point here is that this is a specific issue with massive club sections. Small club can cope with one toilet. Large economy can cope with two toilets down the back. Large Club is a problem.
wrp96, Bobbex and londonba2014 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I was thinking about that the other day while flying DXB-LHR. I was in 10K on the A350, so reasonably proximate to the toilet, but in many seats, irrespective of the cabin, if you follow the instructions to wait in your seat until the toilet is vacant you could find yourself waiting the entire flight as others jump the queue (so to speak). And I don't mean simply by queuing up, but rather even if waiting at their seat, beating you to it when the toilet frees up.

Maybe they should pass out number, like at the deli!
BA should provide chamber pots at every seat that would fit under the seat in front of you.
RoyalSwazi and Knodde like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Vgravity
I’ve noticed that on many (particularly leisure) destinations BA are selling all the way back to Row 12-16 at Club right now. Lots of posts on this already, but some modern impacts.

This morning to TFS it went back to Row 15.

Some impacts...
- despite multiple reminders to wear masks, this mega cabin meant a permanent queue for the single toilet for the entire flight - with no enforcement of the COVID rules. One to four people queuing down the aisle. Horrible for 1C and 1D
- they ran out of champagne on the first serving. They had 15 mini bottles to serve 60 pax. The crew were relatively matter of fact about this when asked why. This is now normal - BA aren’t putting any extra bottles on no matter how far back the curtain slides.
so if you have good status you are at the front and get your champagne. If you don’t your at the back and oh well.
personally the CE champagne is overrated. As long as they don’t run out of Ciroc I’m alright
volar likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:45 pm
dnw

they ran out of champagne on the first serving. They had 15 mini bottles to serve 60 pax. The crew were relatively matter of fact about this when asked why. This is now normal - BA aren’t putting any extra bottles on no matter how far back the curtain slides.
Unacceptable given that this is a central marketing point of Club Europe. Second serving / top ups, fine... but those that don’t receive when requested on the first round should go down the Customer Serices / CEDR / trading standards
route until BA take action.
londonba2014 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by dnw
Unacceptable given that this is a central marketing point of Club Europe. Second serving / top ups, fine... but those that don’t receive when requested on the first round should go down the Customer Serices / CEDR / trading standards
route until BA take action.
I guess they had other drinks available but just ran out of champagne. I cannot understand this obsession people have with drinking champagne on a flight.
LCY8737, steve170461 and ibizarep like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
To be clear, there was no problem with mask wearing on the flight. The crew made several announcements to remind people.

But the queueing in the aisle at the front wasn’t really dealt with. I mentioned it to the CSD and he then started reminding people to wait in their seats.

My point here is that this is a specific issue with massive club sections. Small club can cope with one toilet. Large economy can cope with two toilets down the back. Large Club is a problem.
this might well have been your experience but in 6-8 flights over the latter part of the summer to Greece, Turkey and Cyprus, in cabins of 36+, I never saw people queuing by row 1 for the forward toilet. Everyone was respectful and listened to the crew.

as for the champagne, the issue i guess is that it’s standard bars that are loaded, not bars which take account of the curtain position. They should adjust the leisure routes in particular rather than just have a standard load. And likewise, pay the €1 or whatever similar figure to uplift ice downroute on Band 4 routes. How hard can it be.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I guess they had other drinks available but just ran out of champagne. I cannot understand this obsession people have with drinking champagne on a flight.
Nor can I. I have an obsession with drinking champers anywhere at any time of day!
Jed, bafan, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:03 pm

Deleted

Last edited by ExBDCrew; Dec 6, 2020 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:47 pm

I wonder if this has something to do with the space flex cabins that are being fitted to more and more aircraft. Afaik the space flex galley is much smaller so its not that easy to find extra space for booze. Overhead bins tend to be quite full too. BA likely has a fixed way to cater space flex aircraft and adjusting it would be a logistical nightmare.

That being said I never had a CE flight that ran out of champagne, so the flight OP was on might have just been a statistical outlier.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ExBDCrew
This is my first post and I have been a long term “lurker”. I used to be crew for bmi and when we operated routes that the company “knew were heavy booze drinking routes” we operated such as EDI to CPH, whilst we did not uplift another bar in CPH, catering in EDI would load an additional box of booze and soft drinks which we would store in the overhead lockers along with a ice that was loaded in a dry ice box solely for the inbound flight. It’s a shame that BA don’t do this sort of thing now when they know the Club cabin is so large.
Let me welcome you to Flyertalk and to the BA forum ExBDCrew, it's great to see you here and I very much hope we will see more of you. Not so much in my case, but many of the regular users of this forum are also ExBD passengers or staff, so you are very much with friends here. Welcome on board.
choosethedrew and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JessicaB
youd think so but i have been on flights where they run out of white wine (personal fave) the point being how can they regularly fail to adequately cater for a return on so many CE flights for both bar and food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.