Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mega Club Europe cabins

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:07 am

On its web site the UK Health and Safety Executive states that in a workplace that may be occupied by up to 100 persons at any one time, some of whom may be women, at least 5 toilets must be provided. If the provision is for men only, the required number for 100 persons falls to 4. In the mixed case, the maximum number allowed in a workspace with only three toilets falls to 50.

So if an aircraft passenger cabin is a workplace subject to UK law, the ratio of toilets to seats in most aircraft is illegally low. Or is there a special relaxation for aviation?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RGS5526
On its web site the UK Health and Safety Executive states that in a workplace that may be occupied by up to 100 persons at any one time, some of whom may be women, at least 5 toilets must be provided. If the provision is for men only, the required number for 100 persons falls to 4. In the mixed case, the maximum number allowed in a workspace with only three toilets falls to 50.

So if an aircraft passenger cabin is a workplace subject to UK law, the ratio of toilets to seats in most aircraft is illegally low. Or is there a special relaxation for aviation?
The HSE site notes the relevant law is The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992

A large number of provisions in the legislation do not apply to aircraft, including section 20 which relates to toilets.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Lovely shoes - shame that the poor Darling couldn't afford socks.
Attacked for my choice of footwear on a flying forum - the humanity.

Not sure why I have to confirm this. But there are socks made for loafers, which I will always have on

Last edited by jjLDNY; Dec 8, 2020 at 9:37 am
Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:48 am

looks like 12 rows of CE on my flight to FNC on Sunday, almost all seats full
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
looks like 12 rows of CE on my flight to FNC on Sunday, almost all seats full
Sounds about right.

My ACE flight next week is selling POUG’s for £89 out and £68 back. So not hard to see why Club is so big.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I’ve also noticed on the leisure routes less of the crew personally greeting Gold’s etc.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The size of the Club Cabins is interesting and gives some idea of how BA sees demand recovering. It will likely be leisure based, but thats not to says £29 to Malaga is the only thing that sells. £69/89 for the upgrade is pretty good, especially if the B/E seat were going empty in any case. £138 to BA, less some APD a few drinks and a microwave meal. £128 OW to AGP wouldn't be a bad fare for much of the year.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
The size of the Club Cabins is interesting and gives some idea of how BA sees demand recovering. It will likely be leisure based, but thats not to says £29 to Malaga is the only thing that sells. £69/89 for the upgrade is pretty good, especially if the B/E seat were going empty in any case. £138 to BA, less some APD a few drinks and a microwave meal. £128 OW to AGP wouldn't be a bad fare for much of the year.
Yes, this is almost certainly a strategy. Just a bit of a downside for frequent flyers.

I have to say, the passengers in Club to TFS struck me as not normal BA CE types, even on such a leisure route.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Do you know 100% that they aren’t exempt from wearing a face covering?
No; but I would also expect that a person having an exemption wouldn't be wearing a mask around their neck!
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Becoming part of the problem, I have just availed of a very cheap POUG to ACE and back!
Old Dec 8, 2020, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Vgravity
I’ve also noticed on the leisure routes less of the crew personally greeting Gold’s etc.
BA is only crewing with minimum crew complement regardless of pax figures, whereas pre Covid the crew numbers increase according to CE pax figures/ high BOB demand route etc.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by hydro001
BA is only crewing with minimum crew complement regardless of pax figures, whereas pre Covid the crew numbers increase according to CE pax figures/ high BOB demand route etc.
It'll be interesting how this plays out when CE returns to full catering next month as to whether the crew compliment will increase again. 16 rows of Club to TFS with minimum crew isn't going to be a fun experience for anyone. Passengers or crew.
hydro001 likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 8, 2020 at 5:49 pm
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
It'll be interesting how this plays out when CE returns to full catering next month as to whether the crew compliment will increase again. 16 rows of Club to TFS with minimum crew isn't going to be a fun experience for anyone. Passengers or crew.
An efficient crew will take that in their stride: some CityFlyer flights can have up to 38 in Club, and only ever two crew for the entire aircraft (up to 98 passengers) with a complimentary meal and bar service in ET as well.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by EJetter
An efficient crew will take that in their stride: some CityFlyer flights can have up to 38 in Club, and only ever two crew for the entire aircraft (up to 98 passengers) with a complimentary meal and bar service in ET as well.
True. However as a passenger I'm somewhat skeptical over how that efficiency can impact the service, be that the time it takes to deliver it or the size/quality of the offering. No matter how hard working a small crew of 2 can be with a Club load of 38, they can't be everywhere at the same time. Once you bring inefficiency into the mix (as invariably it will with any crew from time to time), it can go wrong pretty quickly (hand serving Club tray by tray in a large Club cabin springs to mind - still handing out trays at top of descent on a band 3). That's what I'm mindful of.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by hydro001
Do you mind telling us the source of this, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.