Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GGL/CCR July/Aug/Sept Renewals - I need your help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Before I start this thread, let me say that it is explicitly NOT to debate the actual policy. That has already been done, and there are others threads already in place – the last thing I want is to replicate discussions as that will see this thread locked.

The BAEC extension policy was a very generous and beneficial decision from the airline. Many have benefitted, and I am thrilled for all of them.

However, the policy has left a small group of GGL/CCR members rather displeased. Why you ask?

Well those of us who had already retained our status, have been forgotten. We do not benefit in the slightest from the extension policy, despite BA announcing in their email that all members would, and despite us already having spent our money and flown our miles with BA and it’s OneWorld partners.

Those who have therefore not benefited, opposed to lost out, are likely July/August/September renewals.

I have already spoken to someone very high up at Waterside about this, and he has been quite strong about the decision although he did admit it may be reconsidered if the Covid situation did not improve. I respected that position, until I realised I wasn’t the only unhappy member and a few of us have discussed the idea off-site.

As such, I plan to contact BA regarding this issue – in the hope that they re-consider their decision (which really won’t have affected more than around 400 members). The letter would be signed from those who PM me, namely those in the same position.

The BA Forum Moderators have agreed to me posting this, and as a long time FTer myself I can assure you of my trustworthiness.

If you are interested in this proposal, please PM me and we can discuss.

Many thanks

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jul 29, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, Hilton Honors
I am one of the GGL members in the position that you describe. I am happy to be included in your proposal. However, I do not know how to PM you I am afraid - please will you advise me how to do so in order that I can provide you with the necessary BAEC information.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Before I start this thread, let me say that it is explicitly NOT to debate the actual policy. That has already been done, and there are others threads already in place – the last thing I want is to replicate discussions as that will see this thread locked.

The BAEC extension policy was a very generous and beneficial decision from the airline. Many have benefitted, and I am thrilled for all of them.

However, the policy has left a small group of GGL/CCR members rather displeased. Why you ask?

Well those of us who had already retained our status, have been forgotten. We do not benefit in the slightest from the extension policy, despite BA announcing in their email that all members would, and despite us already having spent our money and flown our miles with BA and it’s OneWorld partners.

Those who have therefore not benefited, opposed to lost out, are likely July/August/September renewals.

I have already spoken to someone very high up at Waterside about this, and he has been quite strong about the decision although he did admit it may be reconsidered if the Covid situation did not improve. I respected that position, until I realised I wasn’t the only unhappy member and a few of us have discussed the idea off-site.

As such, I plan to contact BA regarding this issue – in the hope that they re-consider their decision (which really won’t have affected more than around 400 members). The letter would be signed from those who PM me, namely those in the same position.

The BA Forum Moderators have agreed to me posting this, and as a long time FTer myself I can assure you of my trustworthiness.

Many thanks

M
msm2000uk likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 29, 2020 at 3:35 pm Reason: Update quoted content
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Hi msm2000uk - have sent you a PM as a July renewal.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:21 pm

Just a lowly GfL, no longer GGL, but I'm curious, what would you like BA to do for you?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I’m in exactly this position - having hit 5100 TPs by March (with an August renewal), and not even having the additional Joker offered (which at the reduced thresholds would have triggered). I get we’re a very minor subset, but it’s made me much less likely to put anything more than 2400 TPs through BA next year.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: GGL

Many thanks

M
Although I am in this group, I would suggest you leave this sort of proposed action a few months. The previous extensions have only recently been announced, and although it is difficult to see any level of normality returning in 2020, technically, as of now, reduced thresholds are in place as relief. I think your argument gains weight as the months roll by, and this view is supported by the response you received when you raised it at Waterside.

Also, I don't think this problem will limited to the three months you mention, and I don't understand why you suggest this is limited to GGL members? A July 2020 renewal, who had retained Gold by March of this year is in the same boat, no?

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 29, 2020 at 3:36 pm Reason: Update quoted content
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
well thanks! i am one of these people too! will PM you.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Hi msm2000uk - have sent you a PM as a July renewal.
Many thanks. M

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Just a lowly GfL, no longer GGL, but I'm curious, what would you like BA to do for you?
I'd like a years extension to be offered, as it has been to others. M

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I’m in exactly this position - having hit 5100 TPs by March (with an August renewal), and not even having the additional Joker offered (which at the reduced thresholds would have triggered). I get we’re a very minor subset, but it’s made me much less likely to put anything more than 2400 TPs through BA next year.
This. M

Originally Posted by Mixbury
Although I am in this group, I would suggest you leave this sort of proposed action a few months. The previous extensions have only recently been announced, and although it is difficult to see any level of normality returning in 2020, technically, as of now, reduced thresholds are in place as relief. I think your argument gains weight as the months roll by, and this view is supported by the response you received when you raised it at Waterside.

Also, I don't think this problem will limited to the three months you mention, and I don't understand why you suggest this is limited to GGL members? A July 2020 renewal, who had retained Gold by March of this year is in the same boat, no?
Your comments regarding our argument is correct, but opposed to numerous separate complaints to Waterside (as has already happened), there is strength in numbers to strike while the matter is still topical.

In so far as why only GGL/CCR, it is because I fall into that category and can therefore speak from current experience.

M

Originally Posted by VSLover
well thanks! i am one of these people too! will PM you.
Many thanks. M
Dave_C likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:51 pm

Many thanks. M
I'd like a years extension to be offered, as it has been to others. M
But your membership tier hasn't been affected by COVID-19? (yet)
If they give you a year on top, should those who were affected get a second year to be fair?

I could see an argument for the likes of vouchers having reduced thresholds in line with status though.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFX1764
But your membership tier hasn't been affected by COVID-19? (yet)
If they give you a year on top, should those who were affected get a second year to be fair?

I could see an argument for the likes of vouchers having reduced thresholds in line with status though.
My year started July 8th, and I have had 24 cancelled flights in the past 21 days alone, let alone flights from August through to December which have already been cancelled. As such, I am quite clearly affected in attempting to retain my status level, and I am not alone in that category.

In terms of the vouchers, those who fell short of a GUF2 of GUF1x2 were offered the lower threshold for them, yet not those who should have hit over 5,000 TPs like Wozza2404 .

As stated in my original post, I am not going to debate the existing policy (there are threads for that), but thanks for your question.

M
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Not to sidetrack but are the vouchers and jokers on 25% reduced requirements too?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Not to sidetrack but are the vouchers and jokers on 25% reduced requirements too?
No probs fellow M.

The full GGL 'package' is on the 25% reduced rate, but the previous 6,000-9,000 benefits are not.

M
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
From another M!

Best of luck with this. As someone who renewed GGL / CCR as normal with a March year end, I fall into the category which benefited. I can entirely see why those with a July year end who re-qualified as normal would feel aggrieved in comparison with where someone with a June or earlier year end now finds themselves.

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
PM sent. I’m in the July category, renewed by January, 0TPs booked for first quarter.
How I’d love to only be a collection year starting in 2021.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
No probs fellow M.

The full GGL 'package' is on the 25% reduced rate, but the previous 6,000-9,000 benefits are not.

M
Yeah that is what i thought and was showing in my account. Not really tempted to book much with all the uncertainty. with the new Air FRANCE promo we are oof to mexico to earn the Flying blue elite plus, new promos, new adventures, new experiences
orbitmic and msm2000uk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.