Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GGL/CCR July/Aug/Sept Renewals - I need your help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL/CCR July/Aug/Sept Renewals - I need your help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Just a lowly GfL, no longer GGL, but I'm curious, what would you like BA to do for you?
I see many are GFL so I am not sure what the big issue is with not having GGL and CCR - gold gets you many great benefits the First Wing, priority check-in and boarding as well as free seat selection etc.
With GGL I see the Jokers are worth while but with reduced business travel for the foreseeable future there will be plenty of redemption availability, That’s if you chose to fly BA with its current dreadful in flight offering. Cost cutting is in our DNA.
The Gold and Silver Partner card is a benefit but I struggle to find people who need them as they have their own status already.

There are only 2 CCRs for departures - both are currently closed I believe and we now have the Concorde Terrace. I hardly think all of this is worth the effort to resolve especially during (I hope) a once in a life time pandemic.
YMMV.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Not to sidetrack but are the vouchers and jokers on 25% reduced requirements too?
I was told no concession has been made for the GUF vouchers at 2500 and 3500 TPs. Have others experienced differently?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
I too think this is a bit premature. You’ve been given a 25% lower threshold, so even for July TP end, and assuming average TP earnings across this reduced threshold, BA have basically given you the opportunity to retain GGL by flying just 9 months instead of 12. That’s well into October before you need to earn TPS. I just don’t see why this is imperative at this moment in time. You’re currently GGL till the end of August 2021.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

In terms of the vouchers, those who fell short of a GUF2 of GUF1x2 were offered the lower threshold for them, yet not those who should have hit over 5,000 TPs like Wozza2404 .

M
I received my additional 6k space release (based on cancelled flights) on much reduced actual TPs earned.

Last edited by AdBoy; Jul 29, 2020 at 4:20 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Some
How is this a GGL/CCR issue? The same applies to members of all levels who have already retained their status.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Yeah that is what i thought and was showing in my account. Not really tempted to book much with all the uncertainty. with the new Air FRANCE promo we are oof to mexico to earn the Flying blue elite plus, new promos, new adventures, new experiences
Hope your Mex trip isn't any time soon. It's chaos here right now and virus out of control. Cancun and many resorts resorting to dry law, and now in Acapulco and other resorts we have vigilante groups with ak47s policing social distancing, going to people's houses and breaking them up
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by TTmex
Hope your Mex trip isn't any time soon. It's chaos here right now and virus out of control. Cancun and many resorts resorting to dry law, and now in Acapulco and other resorts we have vigilante groups with ak47s policing social distancing, going to people's houses and breaking them up
September We are monitoring the situation closely
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
How is this a GGL/CCR issue? The same applies to members of all levels who have already retained their status.
It's a GGL/CCR issue because the OP made it so

With unfixed renewal dates BA's rolling response to COVID will leave pockets of members in limbo until the next extension, when a fresh group will feel aggrieved.

So I get the exasperation of Watersideman: faced with an existential threat, he is being asked to rearrange the deckchairs.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've already answered this upthread.

M
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:08 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Bamboozle
I was told no concession has been made for the GUF vouchers at 2500 and 3500 TPs. Have others experienced differently?
I'm pretty sure I know a couple of people who were awarded these at the lower TP rates.

M
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by JFX1764
But your membership tier hasn't been affected by COVID-19? (yet)
If they give you a year on top, should those who were affected get a second year to be fair?

I could see an argument for the likes of vouchers having reduced thresholds in line with status though.
Putting aside the ggl CCR issue.

I got a year extra and wasnt really affected, yet , in terms of TP, by the covid situation. I am a June.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm pretty sure I know a couple of people who were awarded these at the lower TP rates.

M
I'm pretty sure that was not the official policy. If it was, I need to contact them...
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
The situation for GGLs is slightly different in that, whether earning 0 TPs or 10,000 TPs in the last year, there is no opportunity for some of us (especially July, Aug, Sept) to get any "extension", despite BA's email. For all other tiers, there is an opportunity to upgrade a tier or more, which could trigger a fresh extension. Also, if it's not possible to renew in the next 11 months (I'm still on 0TPs for example), then it's quite a stretch back to 5000TPs to re-qualify as GGL, once the year of lower thresholds has ended, especially when many members still won't need to be earning any TPs at all.
VSLover likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by clubman
I'm pretty sure that was not the official policy. If it was, I need to contact them...
I don't wish to derail the thread, but you are correct that the official policy is no 25% reduction for GUFs: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...efits#vouchers

I am close to earning a Gold Upgrade Voucher. Does the 25% Tier Point reduction apply to earning vouchers or other membership benefits?

We’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25% to make it easier for members to retain or upgrade their membership. This reduced Tier Point requirement doesn’t apply to earning Gold Upgrade Vouchers or other membership benefits
I believe I read of some individuals being granted GUFs (or 6K, 7K benefits etc) if they had cancelled flights which would have taken them over the normal requirements, but there is no reduction in target (i.e. no GUF2 at 1875 TP etc)
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Regarding the vouchers, it’s case by case but if you had actual booked flights on BA that were cancelled that would have taken you over, these have been granted for some.

For me, most of my travel is booked 2-12 weeks in advance, so I finished flying in March on 5000+ TPs with 5-and-a-bit months left on my year but a fairly minimal amount of bookings. Now, it wouldn’t be too hard to see that someone with 5k points in 6 months whose account clearly shows bookings are made fairly last minute would very likely have hit the next milestones (and with the original 35% reduction I already had hit the 6k and 7k, and with 25% reduction I was very close to the 7k). But I was told I wouldn’t be getting these benefits.

So someone with a June renewal who only managed 3500TPs from June 19-June20 now has that CCR card and all associated GGL benefits until July 2022 because of the extension. But someone like me who cleared the full 5k normal threshold but has an August renewal gets no extension (as I’d already renewed for 20/21 the ‘normal’ way) and is also told there is no leeway being given with the extra vouchers.

So yes, I feel like we have been significantly overlooked here. To the point where I’m now pretty much sold on the fact there is little reason for me to put any more than 3k TPs through BA a year (2400 at the reduced thresholds) going forward - and I need to go and explore some other airlines in more detail. I realise that’s the standard “stamping my feet shouting ‘I’M NOT PLAYING ANYMORE’” response we see so often here, but in this case it’s exactly what I’m doing.

What would the cost have been to BA to give me the additional Joker and 2 x GUF1 vouchers I was asking for (and at the reduced thresholds would have triggered)? Well, if I stick to my 3k plan then on a standard 5k year they’ve lost 40% of my TP flights - on bigger years, a lot more. Doesn’t make much sense to me, but *shrug*

On a side note - for the poster asking about the benefits of GGL, the non-published perks are worth a lot more than the published ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.