Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 queues this morning (weekend AM peaks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by B-HQC
Any idea why First Wing is not accepting luggage and whether this will change soon?
The belts feed a sorter mechanism that then spreads the bags on to a number of X-ray machines and, ultimately, the bag store. Probably some problem with the sorter that needed to be cleared by a human. This would explain why an entire zone went down at the same time.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Just to confirm...

No queues at TFW midday today and accepting checked luggage as normal. TFW security very brief queue and that was only because taking baby food out for scanning seemed outrageous to one family ahead of us.

Flounge pretty empty, food, bubbles, G&T and wine fantastic. Surprising there is no dessert, even ice cream as that must be perfect for Covid as it always comes with its own spoon....?

So other than the ice cream - amazing!!! Well done BA.

TFC.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, would it be really poor form to just buy a cheap ticket somewhere so I can sit in the lounge and watch some planes for a few hours then miss boarding and go home?

(at least 90% joking!)
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by drwook
I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, would it be really poor form to just buy a cheap ticket somewhere so I can sit in the lounge and watch some planes for a few hours then miss boarding and go home?

(at least 90% joking!)
And for the 10%, just have a day out in say AMS or GVA, see the city, you would probably enjoy it.
Fritz, SW7London, Genius1 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Just to confirm...

No queues at TFW midday today and accepting checked luggage as normal. TFW security very brief queue and that was only because taking baby food out for scanning seemed outrageous to one family ahead of us.

Flounge pretty empty, food, bubbles, G&T and wine fantastic. Surprising there is no dessert, even ice cream as that must be perfect for Covid as it always comes with its own spoon....?

So other than the ice cream - amazing!!! Well done BA.

TFC.
That's good news. After seeing the pictures from yesterday, was thinking twice about flying in a week or two from T5.

Just domestic for a day flying/airport trip to NCL, but cannot wait to book after hearing this news.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And for the 10%, just have a day out in say AMS or GVA, see the city, you would probably enjoy it.
Not the worst idea in the world! Is the AMS lounge open (and still a hike to the gate from it)?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Not the worst idea in the world! Is the AMS lounge open (and still a hike to the gate from it)?
Not yet, it wasn't open last week, however Priority Pass seems suggest it is now open (PP holders can use this and the lounge next door).
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Flights coming up connecting from AA to BA all in T5 and only one hour connection. We have been connecting between T3 and T5 for years multiple times each year but this is a whole different animal now. Is it doable? One ticket but there is only one flight a day So if we don’t make it it’s loss of a day. Thoughts? Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by asnovici
Flights coming up connecting from AA to BA all in T5 and only one hour connection. We have been connecting between T3 and T5 for years multiple times each year but this is a whole different animal now. Is it doable? One ticket but there is only one flight a day So if we don’t make it it’s loss of a day. Thoughts? Thanks
The minimum connection time within T5 is 60 minutes, so you should be fine barring no delay on your inbound flight. Follow the purple flight connection signs for either UK & Ireland or International depending on your final destination.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:43 am

One hour is perfectly do-able even on peak days, particularly if you are well prepared (so no liquids lurking in the bottom of your bag). And flights are running very much to or ahead of timetable since aviation congestion was in a previous life. However as with any tight connection, it's always worth considering what Plan B looks like (e.g. allternative city + train) and/or whether the potential implication of being 24 hours late makes you have a look at other options.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Doing a 1 hour connection in T5? Yes you should be fine. Many people were doing that everyday and with fewer flights for the foreseeable future I think delays may be less likely.

There is a connection guide in the forum dashboard. Basically tho just follow the purple signs for flight connections T5. You will probably arrive in to T5B and have to take the transit to T5A. You will go through security but you will not go through immigration. If you have checked bags and they are checked through then no need to worry about them and they will be transferred automatically.
asnovici and Barnaby100 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

(at least 90% joking!)
I went to Inverness- it was booked as the start of a TP run type thing with the babybus on the way back from the USA.
Everything was cancelled and refunded by AA but decided to take the connecting flight and add an overnight. £32.19 back in economy on BA and about £30 for a Holiday Inn Express hotel in Inverness. So a grand day out.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:49 pm

For those travelling this week, if you get the time please put a few sentences in the following thread to help those who haven't (or indeed won't) be taking the plunge.

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I’m in a 100 person long queue just to get to the entrance of the First check in. The main queues are simply enormous and spilling out of the snakes and into the terminal. No idea whether this is IT or just failure to prepare for a busy weekend.

what a mess.
It sounds frustrating but I think we will have to get used to this new normal. Queues will be inevitable with social distancing requirements. Let’s not assume the airport experience and flying will be the same for a while yet.

I know people have been prevented from travelling for months but I’m not getting the desperation to sit in an airport lounge which pre-Covid 19 were essentially a bacteria heaven with so many people touching the buffet style food and drink areas. The lounges can be a welcome stop between long flights but most passengers are doing short Euro hops for now and I’m not sure why are some people desperate to queue to get to back to what is really a passenger canteen?

Last edited by kaizenflying; Jul 20, 2020 at 1:03 am
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
not sure why are some people desperate to queue to get to back to what is really a passenger canteen?
It's probably more about looking for an anchor to 'normal' times, rather than really missing the coffee/champagne/black pudding/whatever. I imagine there's someone with better knowledge of psychology than me here who can confirm or refute, but my take would be that the time between post-security and pre-boarding call is a familiar, relatively comfortable and low stress time for most of us (at least so long as the plane turns up)
choosethedrew likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.