Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 queues this morning (weekend AM peaks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
Anyone flying at the moment should expect some hold-ups and inconveniences, but there is no excuse for scenes like this. You'd think that HAL and BA would be pleased to see people returning, and treat them accordingly.

I am increasingly convinced that my decision not to fly for the rest of this year, and to only visit places that I can get to by train (and that list is a long one from Berlin), is a good one.
A bit OT but my trip through glorious Stansted airport to board a Ryanair flight went at a splendidly efficient pace just a short while ago
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC
As someone mentioned up thread, I think it’s due to the change in flight styles. BA have gone from having a lot of connections and business pax on HBO, to lots of holiday flights with families checking in luggage.

This morning had lots of flights to Spain, Greece etc (plus the LGW holiday flights)and it’s the start of the school holidays. So it was going to be busy.

I hope this gets sorted though for the rest of the summer.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Genius1
Heathrow resource is continuously balanced across the two operational terminals.
im in t2 on Wednesday but I doubt it will be that busy
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
So the hassle factor are those who have to use check in desks?

I’m flying CE domestic tomorrow HBO. I have already OLCI.

Reading this thread it sounds like those who have to use check in desks had all the hassle.

So assume I should be okay tomorrow... go straight to security?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
So assume I should be okay tomorrow... go straight to security?
Yes, although note there is no Fast Track at present (other than First Wing for First/Emerald pax).
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:35 pm

Heathrow resource is continuously balanced across the two operational terminals.
a view of LHR about 2pm flying to man
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Blue
I flew from T2 on Friday last week, a very short queue to drop my luggage, none at security. The by far longest queue in the Terminal was for Leon, nothing else open yet so I didn't bother.

Arrial at T2 on Tuesday was also quite smooth. I was asked if I had the passenger locator file, but no one wanted to see it. At manned immigration there was a very short queue, at the e-gates there was none. Luggage was also quite quick.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Apart from the First Wing not accepting luggage, today was actually good (I got a bit panicky reading this thread in the taxi on the way!). The First lounge was very quiet at 1.30 and our food - including an impressive salmon fishcake addition to the menu - with a glass of rose champagne came VERY quickly.

One upside of the F wing not accepting luggage was that most people seemed to be choosing to use the main security area, so we had it all to ourselves when we nipped back in after dropping our cases in Zone H.

For some reason the coffee area (which is separate to the food area) was not manned and so no coffee orders were being filled. Eventually we flagged down a staff member, reiterated our order and she brought it quickly.

My wife then blew £300 in Smythson on the way out, but you can't win them all.

What the menu does need, however, are kids options. It's all a bit fancy at the moment (I know, it is bizarre saying this about BA). Dumping the Moroccan Meatballs for meatballs, pasta and tomato sauce would be a start.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:29 pm

I was also there this morning and I’ve never seen it so disorganized and chaotic. By the time I’d dropped my bag she had to call and ask to decrease conformance time so I’d be able to pass through to airside.

I had personally heard one older gentleman be instructed to check his bag in Zone D, then when it came to document checking near the top of the line they told him he had to go to Zone F and that he must have been mistaken. He was not happy.

Last edited by James91; Jul 18, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:50 pm

Any idea why First Wing is not accepting luggage and whether this will change soon?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Yes, although note there is no Fast Track at present (other than First Wing for First/Emerald pax).
Thanks for the info.

Arrived at 7am (earlier than I planned as hotel Hoppa was early). Went straight to security and through in 10 minutes.

Still queues for checkin but don’t look as bad as yesterday’s photos
crazyarmadillo and samfrost93 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
There are a good range of hotels open for business at LHR.
Hilton Garden Inn T2/T3 is open and a good option.

Sofitel T5 opens early August I believe
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
But flexible furlough is now in place- ...............
Parking at LHR in August-limited and very expensive

It is a balance between supply and demand but if people cant travel as services are still furloughed that will halt recovery. Maybe corporate apathy rather than CV19 will kill travel.
absolutely!

both BA and Heathrow airport have been screaming blue murder about reopening and getting people flying again. Yet as soon as people try to they are met with chaos and queues.

Those parking charges in August aren’t just expensive, they are outrageous and clearly designed to put people off.

I have been going to work almost continuously since March. I shop in supermarkets and I have visited shopping centres and I will happily wear a mask. But I will not queue!

Shops and supermarkets are limited by the number who can enter the building, so I shop when it’s likely to quiet.

Airports are limited by their own resourcing not by how many can enter the building.Both BA and Heathrow Airport have the data on passenger numbers, they know when they will depart, they know the public transport schedules to the airport and can model passenger arrival times into individual terminals by all modes of travel

The usual apologist for BA and the national embarrassment that is Heathrow, will claim it’s a one off, unusual and that we should not expect better.

Well, if there is to be any hope of a recovery these organisation need to up their game, focus on customers and deliver an excellent experience. Neither did before this pandemic and in this evidence neither will going forward
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by binman
absolutely!

both BA and Heathrow airport have been screaming blue murder about reopening and getting people flying again. Yet as soon as people try to they are met with chaos and queues.

Those parking charges in August aren’t just expensive, they are outrageous and clearly designed to put people off.

I have been going to work almost continuously since March. I shop in supermarkets and I have visited shopping centres and I will happily wear a mask. But I will not queue!

Shops and supermarkets are limited by the number who can enter the building, so I shop when it’s likely to quiet.

Airports are limited by their own resourcing not by how many can enter the building.Both BA and Heathrow Airport have the data on passenger numbers, they know when they will depart, they know the public transport schedules to the airport and can model passenger arrival times into individual terminals by all modes of travel

The usual apologist for BA and the national embarrassment that is Heathrow, will claim it’s a one off, unusual and that we should not expect better.

Well, if there is to be any hope of a recovery these organisation need to up their game, focus on customers and deliver an excellent experience. Neither did before this pandemic and in this evidence neither will going forward
For one time, I will give them the benefit of the doubt as in they didn't manage to bring in furloughed staff quickly enough. (My expectations are already low about their management anyway).
But if this is repeated, there is no excuse.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by B-HQC
Any idea why First Wing is not accepting luggage and whether this will change soon?
I had no issues checking bags at the First Wing on July 4th and July 12th? I'm not sure if there has been a change.

I hope they sort this mess by next weekend. I have a 07:25 flight, which was moved from LGW. I had the Gatwick Bloc hotel booked, so I could get there the night before, roll out of bed the next day and check in. For LHR, with Sofitel closed, it is easier just to get a taxi. Just don't want to be confronted by these images!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.