T5 queues this morning (weekend AM peaks)

Old Jul 17, 20, 11:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,528
T5 queues this morning (weekend AM peaks)


first queue
Mods please move if better thread

this would usually be one of the busiest days of the year as 1st day school holidays

gave up trying to check my bag- long






queues are for first lounge. I would guess 100+ people

6 am

People were queuing even if just wanting to go through scanning as no queue control (but I did ask if I could just go through as not checking a bag and then lots jumped in behind me- no DYKWIA involved)
crazyarmadillo and James91 like this.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jul 18, 20 at 12:50 am
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 11:54 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,082
T5 is a mess this morning (18th July)

Iím in a 100 person long queue just to get to the entrance of the First check in. The main queues are simply enormous and spilling out of the snakes and into the terminal. No idea whether this is IT or just failure to prepare for a busy weekend.

what a mess.
Barnaby100, haroon145 and James91 like this.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 11:54 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LHR / LAS
Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,755
This line was for the first wing ? Things are picking up!! Which is good, I think.
Barnaby100 and James91 like this.
crazyarmadillo is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:04 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 4,334
I'm amazed that many people are flying, I thought T5 would be essentially deserted. From the photos, it look busier than a regular pre-Covid day.
Barnaby100 and James91 like this.
Jagboi is online now  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:06 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN/PVG
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,886
Oh dear. Many people turning up several hours early perhaps? Wonder if lounge capacity controls will kick in today for the first time?
Barnaby100 and James91 like this.
Dambus is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:07 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo View Post
This line was for the first wing ? Things are picking up!! Which is good, I think.
The 2nd and last picture are.
Lots of airport staff running round on walkie talkies panicking as this was 6am
I didn't take a picture at first scanning-only 1 lane open and I joined a queue of about 7 ish

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
I'm amazed that many people are flying, I thought T5 would be essentially deserted. From the photos, it look busier than a regular pre-Covid day.
This would typically be one of the busiest days of the year. It is the 1st weekend of state school summer holidays in lots of areas.
crazyarmadillo likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 18, 20 at 4:58 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:09 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,082
There is a HAL employee checking flight times as you walk in. Itís just passenger volume and lack of staff plus the extra hassles for some destinations.

Next time Iíll just turn up an hour before and avail myself of the flight closing soon Fastrack service 😉😂
Barnaby100 and mikeyfly like this.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:10 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Iím in a 100 person long queue just to get to the entrance of the First check in. The main queues are simply enormous and spilling out of the snakes and into the terminal. No idea whether this is IT or just failure to prepare for a busy weekend.

what a mess.
Then I walked past you
I wanted to check a bag but gave up. They need to manage the queue- lots seemed to have hand luggage only

Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Oh dear. Many people turning up several hours early perhaps? Wonder if lounge capacity controls will kick in today for the first time?
1st lounge was busy at 6.20- dropped off and now picking up again. There are seats- lots of staff (cold food but Brewdog hand sanitiser)

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 18, 20 at 4:59 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:32 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,082
Security also a shambles. Every other tray alarming so they have stopped entirely while they clear the backlog.
Barnaby100 likes this.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:39 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,210
Yesterday morning somewhat disorganised (waited in a short queue for about 10 minutes to check a bag at First Wing even though there were hardly any passengers) but not too busy, so overall was fine. I did think at the time I hope there isn’t a rush of people...
Barnaby100 and alex67500 like this.
lost_in_translation is online now  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:40 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Security also a shambles. Every other tray alarming so they have stopped entirely while they clear the backlog.
Possibly people like me who were going to check bag but gave up. I had to have a root round and dig my toiletries out of my bag.
There were a few people who looked like they had never been though scanning before- which always amuses me as in the first wing as they must be regular travellers.
SxMan likes this.
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 224
Only one lane of First wing security is open. Which given the queue stretches most of the terminal is awful.

Everyone VERY pissed off. Security staff are glacial in pace which isnít helping.

My partner commented Ďletís just holiday in the UKí next month. Sheís got a point.
Barnaby100 likes this.
muggle is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:58 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,082
Security was awful with a couple of members of staff with a real attitude problem.

thankfully the F lounge ordering works well and delivery was super fast so were able to grab a coffee and pain au chocolate.

Delighted that GVA is C63. 😬😬

Honestly my worst Heathrow experience in recent times. Other than the speedy F lounge that has been an shambles. Canít wait for boarding...
muggle, Barnaby100 and James91 like this.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:59 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Only one lane of First wing security is open. Which given the queue stretches most of the terminal is awful.

Everyone VERY pissed off. Security staff are glacial in pace which isnít helping.

My partner commented Ďletís just holiday in the UKí next month. Sheís got a point.
There was a brief point of the Manchester school of charm when I went through (although the people in front seemed to have never been to an airport before) but I made a quip and he lightened up with me. There was only 1 chap doing the loading of the belt and the checking of any pulled over bags I think?

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Security was awful with a couple of members of staff with a real attitude problem.

thankfully the F lounge ordering works well and delivery was super fast so were able to grab a coffee and pain au chocolate.

Delighted that GVA is C63. 😬😬

Honestly my worst Heathrow experience in recent times. Other than the speedy F lounge that has been an shambles. Canít wait for boarding...
I was trying to work out who you were as you came through:
Panama hat?
DMs and impressive tattoo?
Red and black backpack?

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 18, 20 at 4:59 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 1:04 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 51
God they are atrocious arenít they? Let me guess, increased capacity from today, a leisure travel day but they never put two and two together that more people would check in bags. With people like this running the show, how that airline has never had a fatal crash still amazes me to this day.
SxMan likes this.
Young82 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: