Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by KARFA
Aha, ok. So for April-June 2020 year ends there was a 30% reduction in thresholds which is discussed here COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Additionally if you had trips cancelled during the March to 8 May 2020 period which would have got you to the reduced silver threshold you may be able to request BA renewed you at silver in May 2020, a few people did do that when they provided details of the cancelled bookings and TPs they would have earned. May be worth a shot, but as we are a year on it may be difficult to get it agreed.
By the way, is there an ideal place to make a case to for these sorts of things? Just the standard BA contact us e-mail?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
TP year back to zero April 8th, no prospect of any meaningful flying until the autumn, as I haven’t even had my first COVID jab yet.
so that gives me 6 months to retain GGL? I’m sure I’m not alone: it would make a lot commercial sense to change the July expiry date to earlier in 2021 for all BAEC members so we can all make use of our membership throughout 2022.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by no2chem
By the way, is there an ideal place to make a case to for these sorts of things? Just the standard BA contact us e-mail?
I think you can just use the standard web form
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
You do realise that this is a Flyertalk audience? Many (myself included) have done that just for fun as well as status.
Indeed that's what I've been doing last week, and this week. I had a number of European TP runs booked back end of last year that had to be cancelled, so used the FTVs on MAN-LHR-MAN runs to chase the points.

Practical, and fun
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:06 am

Hi.

I suspect I may know what will happen to my status in the scenario below, but I'm definitely not sure, so some assistance would be great.

​​​​​​I'm currently Gold. My card is valid until Aug 22 (I'm assuming 31 Aug?).

For various reasons I will definitely not reach the reduced Gold TP threshold of 1125 by my year end of Jul 22, so I have a few questions.

When the Jul 21-22 TP collection year ends, do I soft land to Silver regardless of the amount of TP's I earn. Let's assume I don't fly at all next year, so gain zero TP prior to the year end of Jul 22.

Also, regardless of TP's having been earned or not by that date, will my current Gold status run out 31 Aug 22 when my card expires? I have one trip mid Aug 22 that probably will be possible, so I'm hoping I gain some benefits after all this time!

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi.

I suspect I may know what will happen to my status in the scenario below, but I'm definitely not sure, so some assistance would be great.

​​​​​​I'm currently Gold. My card is valid until Aug 22 (I'm assuming 31 Aug?).

For various reasons I will definitely not reach the reduced Gold TP threshold of 1125 by my year end of Jul 22, so I have a few questions.

When the Jul 21-22 TP collection year ends, do I soft land to Silver regardless of the amount of TP's I earn. Let's assume I don't fly at all next year, so gain zero TP prior to the year end of Jul 22.

Also, regardless of TP's having been earned or not by that date, will my current Gold status run out 31 Aug 22 when my card expires? I have one trip mid Aug 22 that probably will be possible, so I'm hoping I gain some benefits after all this time!

Thanks for your help.
so if you don’t earn sufficient TPs from 9 July 2021 to 8 July 2022, as things currently stand you will go from gold to silver even if you don’t fly at all after card expiry which is 31 August 2022. You will keep getting all gold benefits until the last day of your card.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:36 am

so if you don’t earn sufficient TPs from 9 July 2021 to 8 July 2022, as things currently stand you will go from gold to silver even if you don’t fly at all after card expiry which is 31 August 2022. You will keep getting all gold benefits until the last day of your card.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 8, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
With the latest travel advice now out I’m wondering whether we will see any further announcements in the near future on status extensions given how cautious the UK government has been. I’m a February baby so obviously hoping for a follow-on extension.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
With the latest travel advice now out I’m wondering whether we will see any further announcements in the near future on status extensions given how cautious the UK government has been. I’m a February baby so obviously hoping for a follow-on extension.
Same here. I am February too. Surely BA cannot expect people to be able to hold their status by flying to Portugal...The list is disappointing at least.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by ermis177
Same here. I am February too. Surely BA cannot expect people to be able to hold their status by flying to Portugal...The list is disappointing at least.
Come on; it's only 15 return trips in CE to get Gold at the moment. BA are laying on loads of extra flights so you could easily get/retain status by spending 10k and all your weekends travelling until September. 🙄
Old May 8, 2021, 5:03 am

There will be plenty of routes and parts of the world restricted for some years to come as well as those restricted by new travel policies by their employer, so when does BA draw a line as say no more blanket extensions even if you may not be able to fly on your own usual pre-covid routes?
Old May 8, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
There will be plenty of routes and parts of the world restricted for some years to come as well as those restricted by new travel policies by their employer, so when does BA draw a line as say no more blanket extensions even if you may not be able to fly on your own usual pre-covid routes?
It's a difficult one, as leisure travellers we're relying on going on QR a lot more; especially as BA has stopped a lot of direct flights to places in the Far East and Indian Ocean. A short stopover in DOH, 560 tier points and Qsuites with BA holidays book with confidence is an attractive option for us for next year...
KARFA and wilsnunn like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Well, BA has already offered a second blanket extension to people from June and after. I don’t see why not they cannot offer something similar for people before June? Also this is not about being able to travel to my own pre Covid routes. We are not even talking about 30% or 50% of the routes here. The only place on the list that you can actually visit is Portugal... Israel too if you are vaccinated...
Old May 8, 2021, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
Well, BA has already offered a second blanket extension to people from June and after. I don’t see why not they cannot offer something similar for people before June? Also this is not about being able to travel to my own pre Covid routes. We are not even talking about 30% or 50% of the routes here. The only place on the list that you can actually visit is Portugal... Israel too if you are vaccinated...
Well yes, for sure I am not saying we have reached that point yet. But perhaps by the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year we may do.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
As a February also I'm still in a holding pattern.

​​​​​​Dismissed a TP run this collection year as looks like way too much hassle and uncertainty right now. Currently looking at one for between collection end date and card expiry, so late Jan next year.

If we don't get an extension that should take care of jump back to Gold. If we do get an extension, cancel and take the voucher (or move the dates) into early 23 (post Jan 8th) and use it as that years requal.

I think either scenario keeps Gold until Jan 8th 2024, albeit possibly with a few days at Silver post Jan 8th 2022.

If I can't make that work then I'll see, I generally like flying BA but short haul is a big hassle via LHR made palatable by the benefits...if there's other status matches that may change things but really i'd want *A to make it worthwhile shifting loyalty. A huge amount depends on what our corporate travel looks like, currently it's less flexible than government policy!

I don't think it's too much for us to expect to see another extension for Those early year renewals, but I think if we do it will be the last.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.