Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have previously used the java fix on two bookings successfully. Today I could not find a way to do it as the UI has changed and I couldn't access the old UI. Seems that if you want a cash refund, you need to call, which I am sure is meant to put people off so that they accept the voucher.
Yes, I think it depends on where you end up when you go in to the booking. If you go in to the normal MMB screen then the JS trick still works and you should be able to avoid the future travel voucher form However, if when you go in to the booking you are immediately taken in to the disrupted booking view there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid the voucher form - if you disable JS and click on cancel booking you still go to the future travel voucher form.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have previously used the java fix on two bookings successfully. Today I could not find a way to do it as the UI has changed and I couldn't access the old UI. Seems that if you want a cash refund, you need to call, which I am sure is meant to put people off so that they accept the voucher.
Especially when you can't actually get through to BA, and there's just a recorded message advising to look online or 'try again later' (for 6 calls to the silver line today )
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you go in to the normal MMB screen then the JS trick still works and you should be able to avoid the future travel voucher form However, if when you go in to the booking you are immediately taken in to the disrupted booking view there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid the voucher form - if you disable JS and click on cancel booking you still go to the future travel voucher form.
By "normal MMB screen" do you mean the one where you would ordinarily add passenger information, book seats, etc?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've been trying to get a full refund for two cancelled Avios bookings - I finally got through to BA today on the phone and they have told me that the bookings have both been converted into vouchers, so they are unable to process a refund.

However, I never requested a voucher. I was told the voucher was processed on 23rd March which is the same date I got the cancellation email.

I was unfortunately unable to cancel the bookings myself online using the Javascript workaround, as my card number has changed since I made the booking (I didn't keep my old card), and it was needed as verification in order to cancel. The bookings disappeared from MMB about 2 weeks ago. I made absolutely sure to not request a voucher as I knew I wanted a full refund. I've confirmed via the Qantas method that the bookings have indeed been converted into vouchers.

Anyone else in this situation? Is there anything I can do to get the refund I was entitled to?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:35 am

Well I've just been able to speak to BA o the phone. I was advised, very politely, that due to the backlog of requests as far ahead as August (currently 15-16 days to process) and staff working from home (system limitations of home-working) that cash refunds are not being processed unless it is 72 hours or less before departure. I was also told that this is also the reason that the cash refund option has been temporarily withdrawn from the website.

The chap I spoke with apologised that it is not clear from emails or the website that you will not be able to progress a refund request unless it's T-72 but did assure me that there would be no problem and suggested that the online option to request a cash refund may be re-enabled in the near future and to keep checking online.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:41 am

Just managed to get through to a very polite chap at BA. The upshot is that due to the volume of refund requests and system restrictions due to home-working, the online option has been temporarily withdrawn and phone requests are not being processed unless it is 72 hours or less before departure.

He did say that the online option may be re-enabled at some point and to keep checking the website/MMB.

Hope this helps others
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Salforal
Just managed to get through to a very polite chap at BA. The upshot is that due to the volume of refund requests and system restrictions due to home-working, the online option has been temporarily withdrawn and phone requests are not being processed unless it is 72 hours or less before departure.

He did say that the online option may be re-enabled at some point and to keep checking the website/MMB.

Hope this helps others
Sorry but 🤣🤣 that's amazing story for the chap to come up with but totally not right for the reason it was disabled plus over the phone now dealing with any requests not just 72 hours that ended last week
T8191, wilsnunn and Salforal like this.

Last edited by Hawk777; Apr 7, 2020 at 9:53 am
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Salforal
By "normal MMB screen" do you mean the one where you would ordinarily add passenger information, book seats, etc?
Yes
Salforal likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Especially when you can't actually get through to BA, and there's just a recorded message advising to look online or 'try again later' (for 6 calls to the silver line today )
Originally Posted by Hawk777
Sorry but 🤣🤣 that's amazing story for the chap to come up with but totally not right for the reason it was disabled plus over the phone now dealing with any requests not just 72 hours that ended last week
Any idea why the message when you call in is still saying if no travel within 72 hours please drop off the line?

In any case, as someone who had issues calling last week and successfully used the Skype option to call in - both my mobile (Three) and Skype are now dropping after the pre-recorded message, calling both the standard number as well as the gold line, so I can't get through at all.

It looks like lots of May cancellations have been processed too as have received 6 cancellation e-mails regarding various bookings.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Hawk777
Thanks for that! What do you suggest our response should be if we get through on the phone and request a refund but are met with the same story?

I don't' want to get into a slanging match but I would like something to back up a challenge to that line from BA.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MBZ2018
Thanks for that! What do you suggest our response should be if we get through on the phone and request a refund but are met with the same story?

I don't' want to get into a slanging match but I would like something to back up a challenge to that line from BA.
just tell them that policy ended last week and if they aren't aware of it to speak to a duty manager to confirm it for them
argonath and Salforal like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:06 am

Refunded a Dublin flight two weeks ago. Had the money refunded two days ago but still waiting on the 8000 avios to be refunded - should I expect that soon?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC
I just called (8:30 UK time Wed) to cancel for a refund which can't be done online even using the work around which was available a week or so ago. Results (I'm silver):

1. Called the gold number listed on here a few posts back. Got through fairly quickly but they wouldn't process me as I'm silver (fair enough).
2. Called the silver number. It told me to call the general number (0800 727 800) and hung up.
3. Called 0800 727 800. It gave out a message relating the difficulties and hung up.

Conclusion: it's not possible to cancel and get a refund at the moment unless you're Gold.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by alpenlupe

Conclusion: it's not possible to cancel and get a refund at the moment unless you're Gold.
I had the same thing all yesterday-kept getting the "cannot take your call right now, please try later".

Called this morning at 07.45 (I believe they open at 07.30) and was put in the queue and I got to speak to someone after 15 mins.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
I just called (8:30 UK time Wed) to cancel for a refund which can't be done online even using the work around which was available a week or so ago. Results (I'm silver):

1. Called the gold number listed on here a few posts back. Got through fairly quickly but they wouldn't process me as I'm silver (fair enough).
2. Called the silver number. It told me to call the general number (0800 727 800) and hung up.
3. Called 0800 727 800. It gave out a message relating the difficulties and hung up.

I had similar for 2 days to yesterday, trying to cancel a BA holidays and selecting the appropriate routing on the telephone queue. In the end called the generic (0800 727 800) number and pressed 2 2 2 for a normal cash flight booking and got through, but went through to an Executive Club number, so after going through a load of security details the operative realised she couldn't assist, but then she could pass me through to the BA Holidays team (which when I tried through the main number selection just hung up). So persevere or just try any selection of queues to get to speak to someone and you might get lucky.
alpenlupe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.