Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Have a flight in October JNB-LHR-DFW, with the LHR-DFW leg operated by AA with a BA flight number. AA cancelled the LHR-DFW flight today. Would BA be willing to rebook me on a LHR-LAX-DFW journey on AA-operated flights with BA flight numbers? Or will BA force me to stay exclusively LHR-DFW?
I have a feeling that LAX would be over the Maximum Permitted Mileage for DFW. In theory it's OK (subject to MPM) and under the current Guideline (not valid for October at the moment) you could also move to another gateway within the USA, so terminating at LAX. If it's a Joint Business route then you don't necessarily need a codeshare either. Now given what we know and don't know at the moment I'd be tempted to leave it for a few months to see what happens, I heard whispers that AA has the LAX service under review at the moment and will concentrate on DFW, which may work to your benefit.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
I understand for a cancelled flight we can rebook for free for -3/+14 days if the same fare bucket is available?

If we want to move the flight over 14 days (to the end of may) do we just need to pay the difference in fare, or will there be additional fees such as a rebooking fee? Can we then cancel the flight (if needed) for a voucher, or are we no longer entitled? Just looking to understand what to expect when I phone in the coming days.
There shouldn't be any extra fees beyond 14 days, just the fare difference and if you do some reseach into fare buckets you may find a date where the change would be free or inexpenseive. However if you (as opposed to BA) cancel flight 2 then you go back to the original voluntary cancellation policies, which on inflexible tickets won't give much of a refund. I think you can go for the eVoucher on flight 2, provided you are still within the timelines for the Buy with Confidence policies, I suspect these timelines will be extended anyway.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:25 am

We booked a trip to Washington with BA holidays flying out 18th May via Dublin,what is the best process on getting a refund?
Is it best to wait closer to the time?
In manage my booking it doesn't say the flights have been cancelled yet, even though when you search for these flights they aren't showing.
Any guidance would be really helpful.
Thank you
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by finchy165
We booked a trip to Washington with BA holidays flying out 18th May via Dublin,what is the best process on getting a refund?
Is it best to wait closer to the time?
In manage my booking it doesn't say the flights have been cancelled yet, even though when you search for these flights they aren't showing.
Any guidance would be really helpful.
Thank you
What are the flight numbers? Will check if they're still showing in the GDS.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:36 am

Still awaiting for overdue travel voucher request

I need help as I am waiting for my travel voucher.

My travel was supposed to be on 12 April 2020 to Sydney. It was cancelled on 30 March 2020. I had already submitted a request for a travel voucher. They replied me saying that they will get back to me in 7 days but I am still waiting for it. Additionally, the booking reference is no longer valid now.

I'm wondering what should my next steps be.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:37 am

Thank you:
18th May BA6141 and 22nd May BA6140
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fyeahnic

My travel was supposed to be on 12 April 2020 to Sydney. It was cancelled on 30 March 2020. I had already submitted a request for a travel voucher. They replied me saying that they will get back to me in 7 days but I am still waiting for it. Additionally, the booking reference is no longer valid now.

I'm wondering what should my next steps be.

Thanks in advance.
when did you apply for your FTV?

also it may be worth checking using the method in the wiki - it may be done and just no email to you yet.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by flashware
What are the flight numbers? Will check if they're still showing in the GDS.
Thank you:
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by nlclhc
Hi,

Are there any news about flights in June?
Spoke to YouFirst this week.
June schedule changes - they have absolutely no idea. I guess they will wait till the last possible moment.
It stinks because I have multiple trips booked that require coordination beyond airline tickets and I too am stuck in the same boat...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:49 am

Thank you:
Are they codeshares by chance? What is the route?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:54 am

Are they codeshares by chance? What is the route?
Sorry yes it's Aer Lingus flights 18th EI0117 DUB-IAD and 22nd EI0116 IAD-DUB
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by fyeahnic
Welcome to Flyertalk fyeahnic, and welcome to the BA Board, I hope that we will see more of you in the future.

As KARFA has indicated, have a look specifically at the Qantas feature to see if you have a strange trip to Mont-Joli in Canada in your booking. If it isn't there then it may be in the pipeline to be done in due course but I wouldn't be unduly worried. If you don't have the second email within a few more weeks then you best call, webform, or use Twitter to see what has happened.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:05 am

EI117 18/5 J0 C0 I0 D0 P0 U0 Y0 B0 H0 G0 K0 M0 V0 F0 N0 L0 E0 X0 Q0 S0 T0 O0 R0 W0 Z0 A0
EI116 22/5 J0 C0 I0 D0 P0 U0 Y0 B0 H0 G0 K0 M0 V0 F0 N0 L0 E0 X0 Q0 S0 T0 O0 R0 W0 Z0 A0

Zeroed out but still there, I assume a cancellation will come soon enough..... the seat map shows very few allocated seats, lots blocked.. but also lots empty (neither allocated nor blocked).
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:05 am

These flights are still shown as operating at the moment, zero from UK Point of Sale but normal POS for Ireland. I think you best have another look at this at the beginning of May, I wouldn't do anything now unless you have a strong need to rebook in the near future.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:16 am

EI117 18/5 J0 C0 I0 D0 P0 U0 Y0 B0 H0 G0 K0 M0 V0 F0 N0 L0 E0 X0 Q0 S0 T0 O0 R0 W0 Z0 A0
EI116 22/5 J0 C0 I0 D0 P0 U0 Y0 B0 H0 G0 K0 M0 V0 F0 N0 L0 E0 X0 Q0 S0 T0 O0 R0 W0 Z0 A0

Zeroed out but still there, I assume a cancellation will come soon enough..... the seat map shows very few allocated seats, lots blocked.. but also lots empty (neither allocated nor blocked).
Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.