Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jcoulso17
We were due to fly 18th may 2020 using avios, flight will probably be cancelled.

1. Do you know when it is likely the flight will be cancelled?

2. If it is cancelled, will BA book us on a non avios flight as no avios flights are available for the same destination within the next 6 months?

Thank you
Welcome to FT jcoulso17!

May cancellations are gradually coming out and I imagine you could get something in the next week or two. There may be a possibility it doesn't get cancelled though.

In terms of rebooking if you rebook -3/+14 days either side of the original for a reward on a BA flight, they will just rebook you regardless of rewards availability as long as there is space in the same cabin. Beyond that date range you do need reward availability. If the flights are cancelled you will have the option of cancelling for a full refund as well.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hello, jcoulso17, and welcome to the Forum (aka Titanic!)

It would help if you specified the route. Hard cancellations seem to be happening about 30 days out. For the longer term prospects ... waiting to know where/what you were doing!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Hello, jcoulso17, and welcome to the Forum (aka Titanic!)

It would help if you specified the route. Hard cancellations seem to be happening about 30 days out. For the longer term prospects ... waiting to know where/what you were doing!
Route is London to Mauritius ... Really appreciate your advice

​​​​​​Could the flight not be cancelled resulting in us having no options as we can't fly due to government guidelines or Mauritius guidelines
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

​​​​​​Could the flight not be cancelled resulting in us having no options as we can't fly due to government guidelines or Mauritius guidelines
In that circumstance you should have the "book with confidence" option of getting a future travel voucher instead.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of us are in a similar position, although I don’t know the details on MRU. (we use airport codes here to save typing!).

Flights may being shown as operating (we have several, up to December, on 3 continents)) but destination restrictions tell me it won’t be happening for now. Airports/Borders closed, hotels closed, everyone confined etc. etc. ... I’m sure you know what’s happening.

So ... it is highly likely (99%+) your flight will be cancelled. But I defer to others who follow that route more closely.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
In that circumstance you should have the "book with confidence" option of getting a future travel voucher instead.
Yep I do, but can't use that voucher as next year have other trips planned so the voucher is useless unless I can use it this year. Was mainly hoping to get booked on a commercial flight in September still using avios...
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Or a full cash refund, surely, after jumping through some BA hoops?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:50 pm

Yep I do, but can't use that voucher as next year have other trips planned so the voucher is useless unless I can use it this year. Was mainly hoping to get booked on a commercial flight in September still using avios...
Ah ok. If it is a reward you can cancel anyway if the flight isn't cancelled. You need to cancel no later than 24 hours before the flight. You would get all the avios back, and all the taxes/fees/charges minus a cancellation fee of £35 per person.

In terms of the voucher you can use it for trips up to a year after the original so it would be usable for trips up to May 2021.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:27 pm

Had about eight goes during the day to get past the auto cut off.Just after 6pm got into the waiting list.After about 15 mins answered by a very helpful and pleasant male,who processed my refund and seemed genuinely upset that because the debit card originally used had expired that he could not completed and it would have to go to the “back office”.Nothing but praise as he made it seem as if I was the only caller,not seven hours into his shift.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Hawk777
just tell them that policy ended last week and if they aren't aware of it to speak to a duty manager to confirm it for them
Salforal - Just managed to get through to a very polite chap at BA. The upshot is that due to the volume of refund requests and system restrictions due to home-working, the online option has been temporarily withdrawn and phone requests are not being processed unless it is 72 hours or less before departure. He did say that the online option may be re-enabled at some point and to keep checking the website/MMB.

Hawk777 - Sorry but 🤣🤣 that's amazing story for the chap to come up with but totally not right for the reason it was disabled plus over the phone now dealing with any requests not just 72 hours that ended last week

Salforal - Thanks for that! What do you suggest our response should be if we get through on the phone and request a refund but are met with the same story? I don't' want to get into a slanging match but I would like something to back up a challenge to that line from BA.

Hawk777 - just tell them that policy ended last week and if they aren't aware of it to speak to a duty manager to confirm it for them.

The above exchange occurred on here yesterday afternoon (UK time). I tried again yesterday evening and got through at 7:59pm (UK time). Unlike my first attempt, where my opening gambit was "I've had flights cancelled and I'd like a refund", I was primed with Hawk777's advice above and started with "Can I give you a booking reference, please?". Good job I was sitting down as the BA chap (a different one from my first call) said "Sure, no problem."!!

He put me on hold for about a minute then came back and said he'd sent it through to the relevant department, confirmed the amount of the refund and said it would be about two weeks.

Now I'm considering a complaint to BA about my experience, not for any purpose other than to make me feel better for venting.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I got lucky with my flight cancellation

My flight got cancelled and auto-rescheduled, but the time was more than 2 hours different. So I was able to use that reason for getting my money back without having to go into the virus situation.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Smid
Has anyone managed to use the javascript thing to get a refund from the website recently?
It worked for me 4 days ago with a revenue booking, but when I tried it this morning all I got was the voucher page (with both Firefox and Chrome).

It seems the BA IT "boffins" have fixed the bug.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I have a bit of a complicated one. I booked a ticket through BA Holidays in October 2018. TLV-LHR-CPT and CPT-LHR were flown in August 2019. After flying those segments, I paid for a change and pushed the remaining segment LHR-YUL back to April 2020. That flight has now been cancelled by BA.

Total price on the holiday was USD 3471. I would guess a maximum of USD 170 or so was a three-day car rental that made this a holiday booking, so I'd estimate the flight cost was about USD 3300, although I may have also paid an additional USD 152 in fare, plus a change fee.

I have two questions. First, were I to opt for a refund, how would that be calculated? I was able to request the eticket receipt via the Finnair website. Fare construction:

TLV BA X/LON BA CPT1296.50BA LON BA YMQ E/XXX M1551.73NUC2848.23END

So would BA just take the 1551.73 paid for CPT-LHR-YUL and divide it up on a 'mileage consumed' basis, with an adjustment for taxes and fuel surcharges?

Second, this July I need to fly AMS-BOS. As BA cancelled the flight, standard customer guidelines should apply. One option allows for a change of gateway within 300 miles of the original point of departure or arrival. Would I be permitted to change this LHR-YUL to either AMS-LHR-YUL or LHR-BOS (or even AMS-LHR-BOS)? Does the July date pose a problem? It would be just under one year from the CPT-LHR segment, but at about 22 months since the ticket was originally issued.

The standard guidelines indicate a change within 30 days is permitted when BA cancel, but schedules are still not normal by then and the COVID-19 guidelines indicate rebooking until August 1.

Thanks so much.
Just to note, BA Holidays had no issue quickly making the change. My LHR-YUL was rebooked to LHR-IAD in late July (so beyond 300 miles and beyond 14 days). Fingers crossed this trip all comes together...
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
BA Holidays flight & hotel booking - flight now cancelled

I have a BA Holidays booking for end May with flights and two separate hotel nights: (positioning trip for an ex-EU)
EDI-LHR-ARN [night in hotel].. [second night in hotel] ARN-LHR-EDI. BA Gold and all flights in CE if that's relevant. £150 deposit paid thus far and balance due in a few weeks.

BA emailed today saying the outbound LHR-ARN has been cancelled. Can I now claim a refund for the full booking, ie flights and 2 separate hotel nights? If they will only refund the flight component, is this proportional to the ratio of flight / hotel cost within the total booking cost? (From memory it's about 650 total, of which about 150-200 is hotel)

Thanks for any help, and I hope everyone is staying safe.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I tried 22 times yesterday all through the day, and didn't get on the line. 7 times from 06:59am this morning, and I've got into the queue.

5 Minutes later, I was refund process started and that was that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.