Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do bassinet seats become available?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Silver, BonVoy - Abassador Elite, HH - Diamond
When do bassinet seats become available?

I'm a BAEC Silver, and currently have 33G and 33J (bulkhead aisle WT+ seats) on the BA178 to LHR on March 3rd, trying to switch to the 33G to 33K since it's now become unblocked, but when I try to select it, it says "sorry, we can't place [Passenger] in a carrycot seat as they are protected for customers travelling with an infant (under 2)"

When do these seats become available to nab?
littlefish likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this recent thread:
Has the point at which bassinets become available changed?
See also:
A380 WT+ Bassinet Seats Released
When to call for bassinet CW seats
When do Bassinets open?
when are bassinet seats released?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I tried the call center and was told that they are unable to move anyone to those seats without an infant, it has to be done at the airport. So now I know!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: BA
Ask them to try and make the move anyway say you understand that if anyone requires them you'll be moved. They will then try and it will work. I've had a couple of operators claim to not know they can do this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gemcan83
I tried the call center and was told that they are unable to move anyone to those seats without an infant, it has to be done at the airport. So now I know!
That would be the case at T-24 hours approximately. The time to contact is T-72 hrs or at the latest (and generally the best time to call) is T-48 hrs, but at OLCI is your next option.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That would be the case at T-24 hours approximately. The time to contact is T-72 hrs or at the latest (and generally the best time to call) is T-48 hrs, but at OLCI is your next option.
In my experience now you are very unlikely to be able to get seats that are cot positions now versus a couple years ago. At t-72 hours due to the system that then kicks in its most likely the seats stay restricted.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
My most recent experiences with bassinet seats were that none of these options were successful. The agents on the gold line were really helpful at trying to move us to the desired seats but it just didn't succeed, and then at OLCI I got a message along the lines of "this seat is visible to you because there's an infant in your booking but you specifically can't choose it. the person in your booking with an infant is: <blank>"
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
A month ago, I was able to get a bassinet position at (IIRC) approximately T-48 by requesting it through rj.com. The seat showed blocked in EF. It showed up as available in MMB, but I got an error every time I tried to select it in MMB. I tried through rj.com and it worked.

FWIW, rj.com has been somewhat hit and miss for me. I’ve tried this three times over the past several years. It has worked twice. The third time, it booted me from my pre-selected seat without giving me the bassinet. I was momentarily worried TS would keep me from getting my original seat back, but (thankfully) that ended up not being a problem.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
rj.com has been somewhat hit and miss for me
I'm 3 for 4 over the last year-ish with it so, so another data point there.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:50 am

I tried it through rj.com and not only did it not give me the bassinet seat but it freed up the seat which I'd had previously which someone else immediately snaffled
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Joeykins
I tried it through rj.com and not only did it not give me the bassinet seat but it freed up the seat which I'd had previously which someone else immediately snaffled
Or, the seat might have become unavailable due to Theoretical Seating. Either way, that is a definite risk with the rj.com approach, which is why I highlighted my 2/3 success rate. In general, I only try to make the switch via rj.com when I’m moving from a seat I don’t mind losing.
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Joeykins
It may be your previous selection is still sticking. Have a look again in a few hours or tomorrow to see if you get it back.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:39 am

Apologies, should've been clearer. This is a "feedback from a flown booking" experience rather than anything current! That particular issue was all worked out by the cabin crew helping out with some passenger tetris on board.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I tried the rj.com trick and it seems to have worked! I have my BP showing the Bassinet seat, so hopefully I get to keep it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.