Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when are bassinet seats released?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FinnRolo
I've just booked within the last few days my first trip of the year to LAS (in March). For the last half dozen or so flights I've reserved 64J and K easily each time, however on this occasion someone got in ahead of me and they're gone already.
For the moment I've reserved 62J and K, but would prefer 64A and B. However, I can't reserve 64A yet as it's the upper deck bassinet seat.

What are my best tactics here, should I keep what I've got as is and try to change both seats at T72, or would it be prudent to reserve 64B now and grab 64A as soon as it becomes unblocked?
I'm gold BTW.
one needs a crystal ball to answer that one get the 62 pair and someone may well book 64b, book 64b and one may book 62 and someone with a baby may get 64a... personally I’d say the 62 pair is fine but that’s just me and is the only way to ensure you still have something good if your ideal scenario doesn’t materialise.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by orbitmic

one needs a crystal ball to answer that one get the 62 pair and someone may well book 64b, book 64b and one may book 62 and someone with a baby may get 64a... personally I’d say the 62 pair is fine but that’s just me and is the only way to ensure you still have something good if your ideal scenario doesn’t materialise.
I figured as much.
Think I'll just hang on to what I've got, and keep an eye on 64A & B whilst being ready to pounce should both be free at T72.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Am flying JFK-LHR tomorrow night (though outside OLCI at the moment). The bassinets are still showing as available but when I try to select them I get a pop-up saying I cannot choose them. It isn't often I have to try and snaffle the bassinet seats but I thought for Golds you could snag them at T-72. Do they open up at OLCI in these situations? Any insight as to what's going on here? Thanks!

(I did try pulling my booking up on RJ's site but couldn't see a way to change my seating, it just said it was "Paid")
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Fraser
Am flying JFK-LHR tomorrow night (though outside OLCI at the moment). The bassinets are still showing as available but when I try to select them I get a pop-up saying I cannot choose them. It isn't often I have to try and snaffle the bassinet seats but I thought for Golds you could snag them at T-72. Do they open up at OLCI in these situations? Any insight as to what's going on here? Thanks!

(I did try pulling my booking up on RJ's site but couldn't see a way to change my seating, it just said it was "Paid")
See post 59 in this thread as well as this other one very recently. It can all be very variable and don't print your BP which will of course allow you to change seat. No harm calling but keep trying even at the airport. Similarly but in CW though I nabbed 64A which was repeatedly blocked even at T minus 3 hours but a nice lounge angel got it for me after a call in the lounge. Not sure who she phoned but it worked!

Reserving cot seats (without a baby)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Thanks, re post #59 I am Gold and well within T-72.

Weirdly now I can't even change my seat assignment. MMB and the App show "How to get the best available seats" as opposed to the normal "View or Change Seats". EF does show a couple of seats available in the cabin so not sure the seatmap isn't viewable. Only 25mins to OLCI so let's see what shows up...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
Thanks, re post #59 I am Gold and well within T-72.

Weirdly now I can't even change my seat assignment. MMB and the App show "How to get the best available seats" as opposed to the normal "View or Change Seats". EF does show a couple of seats available in the cabin so not sure the seatmap isn't viewable. Only 25mins to OLCI so let's see what shows up...

sorry- lottery these days

Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Telecasterman; Mar 6, 2019 at 7:02 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At OLCI no bassinet seats opened up and foolishly clicking through with muscle memory I generated the mobile boarding pass. Oops. Thankfully a quick call to the Gold line and a super helpful agent was able to open one of the bassinet seats and switch me over, noting that other bassinet seats were available and she reminded me I could be reassigned at the airport if they needed those seats. All taken care of in a couple of minutes with app and mobile BP updated. All's well that ends well. ^
PETER01 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Resurrecting this one. I'm sending my mum to EWR tomorrow from GVA via LHR. I've currently got her in 24K (back row window). From EF, 20A is available and not blocked. But can't select it in MMB (also tried RJ and RAM to no avail). Called the Gold line but they can't touch it because there's a car so got forwarded to BA Holidays. Agent there claimed that since it was tomorrow it was under airport control and she couldn't access the seat map and I'd have to wait until tomorrow at the airport. Is this right? I feel like phone agents are able to do this kind of thing even within 24 hours. Is it worth calling again? If it's pointless I won't bother and it's quite a long wait to get to BAH vs Gold line.

WT+ is quite full and it's currently J5. So hoping for a sane AUP tomorrow which would make this all moot. But I guess a front row in WT+ on a shortish dayflight plus lounge access through me in LHR might make an AUP less necessary.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Agent there claimed that since it was tomorrow it was under airport control and she couldn't access the seat map and I'd have to wait until tomorrow at the airport. Is this right? I feel like phone agents are able to do this kind of thing even within 24 hours. Is it worth calling again? If it's pointless I won't bother and it's quite a long wait to get to BAH vs Gold line.
Yes this is correct, you would need to call between 72 and 25 hours to departure when the booking is migrated to FLY when airport control starts at 24 hours to departure. Same with children's seating.
orbitmic and RichieMc like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes this is correct, you would need to call between 72 and 25 hours to departure when the booking is migrated to FLY when airport control starts at 24 hours to departure. Same with children's seating.
Got it. Thanks! Thought it strange the agent said t-48 hrs for airport control. Seat wasn’t available until t-18 or so, after I had checked in. So don’t there would have been any way to get that seat. Given she’s checking in at GVA 6 hours before departure hopefully it’s still available at that point.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Got it. Thanks! Thought it strange the agent said t-48 hrs for airport control. Seat wasn’t available until t-18 or so, after I had checked in. So don’t there would have been any way to get that seat. Given she’s checking in at GVA 6 hours before departure hopefully it’s still available at that point.
No the seats are available at T-72, that's when you need to call. OLCI is by definition too late.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No the seats are available at T-72, that's when you need to call. OLCI is by definition too late.
I mean someone was actually occupying the seat as opposed to it being blocked until t-18. So there was really no way to get the seat in this situation. In the end we stumped up for an AUP anyway.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:53 am

Just following up on this one. For the return, I called up yesterday under t-72 and before t-24 and agent refused to believe me when I told him one could phone up and get these blocked seats. Tried again on chat and then again on phone today. Seats are marked as blocked rather than occupied.

Only thing I can think of is that it’s a BA Holiday (has a car on the booking) and they can’t process these requests…? Tried the Gold line as well and they can’t touch it as it’s a Holiday booking.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Had an interesting variation on this question today.

For my flight tomorrow, the bassinet seats (30A and 30K) have been shown as unavailable on the BA app (and blocked on Expertflyer) until T-72 at which point they became available and free (both BA and EF) - so far as expected. I however still can't select them on BA and get a strangely worded error message (the second sentence does not make any sense grammatically and I'm travelling alone).

On previous trips I was able to choose such seats by calling the Gold line after T-72. Today however, I was told by the first agent that it would cost me £102 to select this seat. He was adamant that this cost applies even to Gold card holders. I "HUCA" and the second agent said they cannot move anyone without an infant in their booking into these seats until OLCI.

I'm not too bothered about tomorrow's flight across the pond, but am keen on clarity regarding this because of an upcoming (A350) WT booking to the far East where I really want a front row window seat.

Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:53 am

Usually at this point you can select on Malaysian Airlines MMB and it'll stick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.