Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

Well be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, were applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why were continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the My account page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If youve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If youve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
I think it is unlikely that BA will align all year ends like this. I think a blanket one year extension for all is much more likely but not until the picture becomes much clearer than it is currently. If the current level of disruption carries on for a significant length of time even a year long blanket extension might not be enough.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there are winners and losers in all of this. The people being elevated to GGL at 3500 Tier Points definitely fall into the winners category in my view. Life was pretty normal until the end of February so someone with an April year end being elevated to GGL on exactly 3500 Tier Points has done pretty well out of BA to be honest (the equivalent of 1500 Tier Points credited for one lost month of flying).
Yes, I definitely feel lucky - though, to be honest, the three friends I'm gifting with status are the primary beneficiaries. Without some kind of reduced qualifications during 2020-21, I'll likely drop from GGL back to silver. I didn't have any planned flight from 13 March to 8 April, but I've had four long-hauls cancelled from 9 April to 31 May. Business travel is likely out until at least the fall, possibly for the entire calendar year.

I'm grateful for GGL, but if given the choice between GGL for 2020-21 or maintaining gold until April 2022, I'd have chosen the latter.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:32 pm

Meanwhile we get some wishy washy email from Mr. Cruz without really addressing what BAEC members need:

COVID-19: From our family to yours - Regards, A.Cruz
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Confus
Why do you assume they want or need to do that? Dividing the population effectively into 12 helps out no end with smoothing requirements across a year. For example, printing and sending membership cards, customers using up GUFs, even the numbers whose lounge access drops on a given date. I dont see what benefits making it a calendar year would bring, even if it didnt likely come with a large and wholly unnecessary IT implementation cost.
Well all I was doing was proposing a solution that might actually come off as very customer friendly and impact the least amount negatively rather than keeping people hanging as to what exactly BA is going to do in the coming months. This obviously is not going away in 3 months.

The staggered year ends has always worked for me especially when I was Gold with BA and Lufthansa. With an Oct.8 year end if the 30% less TP requirement holds then I'm already in the "I'm Alright Jack" club here as far as Gold re-qualification goes so I guess I have nothing to worry about other than getting BA to eventually refund my upcoming May flights. Was just trying to make a suggestion on a PR workaround with the BAEC
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Personally it will be hard to make up for all my cancellations in March-May. My year end is December, but I had to canceI 2200+ TP in those 3 months, and the 2 big trips, (600+ TP each) I will not have time (off) to re-schedule before the end of the year.

I have about 700 TP so far and would have easily re-qualified for GGL and maybe CCR but now who knows. I did save all my cancelled tickets in case I have to ask for special consideration.
bermudasun and Nephoi like this.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Apr 9, 2020 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:14 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
My thoughts on the subject. BA says you need 1500 TP / year to attain Gold as an example. Let's say hypothetically speaking everything will return to normal in July. If that is true then the argument that members with may or june year ned deserve a discount over someone with a year end in Sept is wrong.
If flying was restricted for 4 months (Mar, Apr, May, June) then all members are affected regardless of their year end. It just means that all members regardless of the year end (month) or the year (2020 or 2021) have 4 months less to acquire their status. If anything, those with year end in Apr are probably the least affect since the 4 months is divided over two years (same argument can be made that they are the most affected as it affects 2 years of tier collection).

That is why, I honestly think the best and potentially the most fair thing to do is to merge the collection years (19-20 and 20-21) into one collection basket (in other words extend it by a year across the board), because regardless of your year end or year of collection you will have less than 12 months collect the tier points needed.

Just my two cents.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Just to add in my experience on the chance there are a few others in the same situation.
My year ended on the 8th of April on 980 points, I had another 80 booked but cancelled, and was looking at a mini run to get the remaining 440 end of March/start of April.
So with the 80 from the cancelled flights I would have requalified on the lower requirement. Emailed the EC and hats off for efficiency as they replied within about 30 minutes, however with a big fat no chance, slightly dissapointed as I'm losing out for being a late booker.
I also mentioned a blanket extension for all and got the usual company line of it's being constantly monitored.

So from June onwards it'll be back to Silver and looking at the back of people's heads. At least I cant still enjoy the benefits of Gold till the end of May.......oh wait.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clansman
Just to add in my experience on the chance there are a few others in the same situation.
My year ended on the 8th of April on 980 points, I had another 80 booked but cancelled, and was looking at a mini run to get the remaining 440 end of March/start of April.
So with the 80 from the cancelled flights I would have requalified on the lower requirement. Emailed the EC and hats off for efficiency as they replied within about 30 minutes, however with a big fat no chance, slightly dissapointed as I'm losing out for being a late booker.
I also mentioned a blanket extension for all and got the usual company line of it's being constantly monitored.

So from June onwards it'll be back to Silver and looking at the back of people's heads. At least I cant still enjoy the benefits of Gold till the end of May.......oh wait.
I would be tempted to try again - perhaps call and ask? This is the bit to focus on as you can clearly show you would have been at 1060 so over the reduced threshold had that booking not been cancelled. I wouldn't mention the mini run you may have booked as it just confuses the matter and isn't really necessary for your case.
Clansman likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by zaf
My thoughts on the subject. BA says you need 1500 TP / year to attain Gold as an example. Let's say hypothetically speaking everything will return to normal in July. If that is true then the argument that members with may or june year ned deserve a discount over someone with a year end in Sept is wrong.
If flying was restricted for 4 months (Mar, Apr, May, June) then all members are affected regardless of their year end. It just means that all members regardless of the year end (month) or the year (2020 or 2021) have 4 months less to acquire their status. If anything, those with year end in Apr are probably the least affect since the 4 months is divided over two years (same argument can be made that they are the most affected as it affects 2 years of tier collection).

That is why, I honestly think the best and potentially the most fair thing to do is to merge the collection years (19-20 and 20-21) into one collection basket (in other words extend it by a year across the board), because regardless of your year end or year of collection you will have less than 12 months collect the tier points needed.

Just my two cents.
Hopefully someone from BA Exec Club reads that as that would be a good idea to implement.

Another option could be to have people to keep their current status from around the time of the shut down, and then restart everyone's 12 month membership year from a date when (if!) flying is considered back to "normal". Who knows what "normal" would be right now, though! Suddenly a third runway seems likely to be unnecessary for a while!

I'd favour just a clean additional 12 months of status of course, but I can't see BA being that generous (unlike some other programs), hence the above suggestion, and having the same membership year for everyone might not suit BA as they'd have to send out cards on one date each year.

I can't see things being the same again for a long while (if ever) on many levels. The number of status passengers and travellers in general is obviously going to drop for years yet, and will many people even want to sit in a lounge (let alone a plane!) unless they have to?!

Is hand sanitiser in amenity kits yet on BA?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by lad917

I'm grateful for GGL, but if given the choice between GGL for 2020-21 or maintaining gold until April 2022, I'd have chosen the latter.
You may of course actually get both if BA issues the blanket status extension later this year that many think is coming. Now that would be a really fortunate outcome!
lad917 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Silver expired 8th March

Apologies if this one has already been dealt with but looking for some advice. Silver card holder and membership year ended 8th March. I was on 520 TPs when they reset. I had travel booked, but subsequently cancelled through the next 14 days which was going to comfortably take me over the 600 renewal threshold and I intended to call in and request the usual extension privileges granted for a near miss within 2 weeks. The reduced level thresholds for silver look like they have only been offered up for April-June year ends. Any suggestions? I work in travel so know the pressure the teams will be under and dont want to clog the call centre up with a needless query at this time, though equally keen to remedy if I can. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I disagree with a few approaches here with regards to extensions / resets.

Discounted TP requirements or a merged collection period are the only way to go.

I for example have an end date in December, and was averaging 500 TP per month. Meaning I was on 1500 by the end of Feb - making perfect progress towards GGL this year.

If they choose to extend my previous gold status, that would mean nothing to me and would effectively mean my Additional leisure trips to acquire TPs would be wasted as the ambition was GGL.

A continuation of previous status + reset would also mean I lose my momentum.

Reducing the status requirement by c. 10% per month lost for each member is the fairest way in my opinion (as they have done for the June Year End). If you are a traveller who gets 70%+ of your TPs in a single big run, I’d suggest providing evidence of this and asking for a grace period once travel resumes which given means BA get a big eccentric spend as soon as travel resumes I’m sure they’d adhere to.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by theskiguy
Apologies if this one has already been dealt with but looking for some advice. Silver card holder and membership year ended 8th March. I was on 520 TPs when they reset. I had travel booked, but subsequently cancelled through the next 14 days which was going to comfortably take me over the 600 renewal threshold and I intended to call in and request the usual extension privileges granted for a near miss within 2 weeks. The reduced level thresholds for silver look like they have only been offered up for April-June year ends. Any suggestions? I work in travel so know the pressure the teams will be under and dont want to clog the call centre up with a needless query at this time, though equally keen to remedy if I can. Any suggestions?
In March they were offering "a case by case review" to those who fell short of the thresholds. There was some discussion in the forum about this, but very few specific examples came forward. It may be worth sending a letter or webform listing the booked-cancelled flights to see if they would do something now. It may be that they will make it easier for you to regain Silver in the 2020-2021 year, but at the moment we are in the land of speculation.
theskiguy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
I made GGL this year beginning of March (collection ending Apr 8). Decided to focus a bit more on OW vs *A to see how the GGL experience would be. My flights are from US to Japan, Spain and SE Asia. I don't see any travel to my destinations before mid July to start at best. If BA doesn't propose any extension, the same way I switched to OW some flights, I'll look towards *A. (all my flights are in C and F). I expect them to show some good will from their side, if they expect to continue doing business with me, otherwise it is easy to switch to other airlines. Not in terrible rush to see some action, but would be nice to know soon.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Having just lost Silver status with BA after five years of enjoyment and some good benefits, I really thought I would miss it. However, to compensate, I made Air Canada 50k Elite (Star Alliance Gold) for this year instead. The issue of maintaining status is popping up across all airline schemes. BA's silence and tinkering at the edges with a short term tier point bodge is really cheapskate and not demonstrating two way loyalty.
I say this after receiving a very clear email from Air Canada this week extending my Gold status (all levels are covered) for another year. That's it - clear and simple. Loyalty goes both ways and Air Canada have moved quickly along with some other carriers to remove anxiety on status renewal and retain customer loyalty. Not only have Air Canada just done a blanket one year extension, if you make status in the current year - if it's greater - you move up, if it's less - you can gift your earned status to someone so your efforts this year are not wasted. I accept the concept is different, but Air Canada have also given status members additional upgrade credits and extended expiry to acknowledge people's inability to find a flight at the moment, but priming my travel perks ready for an improvement in the market.
What have I had from BA? A 32 day wait to get my taxes back on a cancelled avios flight, and an email from someone on a happy pill but signed by the CEO containing 6 paragraphs of prose and empty comfort but not a grain of information on frequent flying and brand loyalty. No information on rewarding frequent fliers loyalty, lowering catering standards etc etc

To make you all feel underwhelmed by the water and pretzels and water in economy. (which has only been done as BOB has disappeared and they have to offer something!) Air Canada (even in it's darkest hours of reducing the onboard catering) has continued to offer water, juice, soda, T&Cs along with a biscuit or pretzel on all flights with a second or third run on longer flights. In the new Air Canada Cafe for Golds only, they even encourage and provide carrier bags so you can take away a salad, wrap, sodas, sweets, snacks, shakes etc etc out of the cafe and onto the flight. (sadly no booze)

I realise this is off thread a touch from the Exec club and current modifications to the programme, but the difference and speed between Air Canada and BA on their frequent flier programmes for me has been stark, and the difference between night and day. I remain a fan of the BA product and the generally excellent cabin crew. (BOB excepted) but my loyalty to BA is being tested, ignored , or taken for granted.(take your pick)
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In March they were offering "a case by case review" to those who fell short of the thresholds. There was some discussion in the forum about this, but very few specific examples came forward. It may be worth sending a letter or webform listing the booked-cancelled flights to see if they would do something now. It may be that they will make it easier for you to regain Silver in the 2020-2021 year, but at the moment we are in the land of speculation.
My year end was 8 April with 875 TP in the bank. I had to cancel a March OW trip worth 840 TP. - now fully refunded I rang BAEC to discuss my EC renewal and was told that they would honour the TP's for any booked but cancelled flights provided a booking reference was provided. The agent confirmed that my partner and I would qualify to retain Gold and would forward the details and that I would hear within a few days. My EC account was updated yesterday - Gold confirmed to 8 Arpril 2021

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.