FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:08 pm
Mikey Mike Mike

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Having just lost Silver status with BA after five years of enjoyment and some good benefits, I really thought I would miss it. However, to compensate, I made Air Canada 50k Elite (Star Alliance Gold) for this year instead. The issue of maintaining status is popping up across all airline schemes. BA's silence and tinkering at the edges with a short term tier point bodge is really cheapskate and not demonstrating two way loyalty.
I say this after receiving a very clear email from Air Canada this week extending my Gold status (all levels are covered) for another year. That's it - clear and simple. Loyalty goes both ways and Air Canada have moved quickly along with some other carriers to remove anxiety on status renewal and retain customer loyalty. Not only have Air Canada just done a blanket one year extension, if you make status in the current year - if it's greater - you move up, if it's less - you can gift your earned status to someone so your efforts this year are not wasted. I accept the concept is different, but Air Canada have also given status members additional upgrade credits and extended expiry to acknowledge people's inability to find a flight at the moment, but priming my travel perks ready for an improvement in the market.
What have I had from BA? A 32 day wait to get my taxes back on a cancelled avios flight, and an email from someone on a happy pill but signed by the CEO containing 6 paragraphs of prose and empty comfort but not a grain of information on frequent flying and brand loyalty. No information on rewarding frequent fliers loyalty, lowering catering standards etc etc

To make you all feel underwhelmed by the water and pretzels and water in economy. (which has only been done as BOB has disappeared and they have to offer something!) Air Canada (even in it's darkest hours of reducing the onboard catering) has continued to offer water, juice, soda, T&Cs along with a biscuit or pretzel on all flights with a second or third run on longer flights. In the new Air Canada Cafe for Golds only, they even encourage and provide carrier bags so you can take away a salad, wrap, sodas, sweets, snacks, shakes etc etc out of the cafe and onto the flight. (sadly no booze)

I realise this is off thread a touch from the Exec club and current modifications to the programme, but the difference and speed between Air Canada and BA on their frequent flier programmes for me has been stark, and the difference between night and day. I remain a fan of the BA product and the generally excellent cabin crew. (BOB excepted) but my loyalty to BA is being tested, ignored , or taken for granted.(take your pick)