Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:51 am

Any idea on the waiting time on the Gold line at the moment? Currently still waiting after 25 mins. Totally understand it’s busy but just good to have an idea if we are talking hours?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
All remaining shorthaul out of LGW now cancelled for the day - just announced in the lounge.
You are ahead of the computers at the moment, but I'll update the list when they've key it all in.

That means JER is cut off!!!
T8191, wrp96 and Vinotraveller like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
As a GCH - and a connecting passenger - what is my best course of action? All LGW Hiltons are showing as sold out.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:55 am

BA2783 OPO-LGW currently showing 4 hours delayed. I’m really hoping for some sort of communication from BA as I don’t fancy 5 hours at the airport before struggling into London at 3am.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LonTen
BA2783 OPO-LGW currently showing 4 hours delayed. I’m really hoping for some sort of communication from BA as I don’t fancy 5 hours at the airport before struggling into London at 3am.
After a 2 hour delay you are normally able to ask to be rebooked, on shorthaul. This would including routing via MAD, at least in theory.

However I think your flight is about to be cancelled, given Vinotraveller's intelligence above.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:59 am

As a GCH - and a connecting passenger - what is my best course of action? All LGW Hiltons are showing as sold out.
Brighton Hilton Metropole, £83 and you can consol yourself with fish and chips once there.

Croydon is the more sensible choice, the Hampton - which I'm not that fond of - is right by the overhead passageway exit from East Croydon station. Avoid the Hilton Croydon, middle of nowhere unless they reopen Croydon Airport.

It's possible BA have an allocation of the LGW Hilton rooms, you could ask at reception if they have got rooms under BA's name.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
After a 2 hour delay you are normally able to ask to be rebooked, on shorthaul. This would including routing via MAD, at least in theory.

However I think your flight is about to be cancelled, given Vinotraveller's intelligence above.
Departure boards are still not updated here and MMB won't allow me to rebook - I am not rushing out of the lounge just yet as it is an easier environment to make alternative arrangements.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:04 am

Brighton Metropole, £83 and you can consol yourself with fish and chips once there.

Croydon is the more sensible choice, the Hampton - which I'm not that fond of - is right by the overhead passageway exit from East Croydon station. Avoid the Hilton Croydon, middle of nowhere unless they reopen Croydon Airport.
Many thanks sir - have just booked that - seems the best option. Much better than Croydon.

At this point I would like to add my great thanks to CWS and other forum members for the info and advice. Safe travels all.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
BA719 cancelled, here's what I found out so far:

- Gold line is not taking calls
- To rebook, you might need to enter your booking reference, I'm rebooked on the next available flight, so that's nice.
- Hotels still show some availability in ZRH which is also hit quite badly, quite happy to get the Radisson Blu only at 110 GBP tonight

And now I'm wondering: when it comes to meals, is there a soft/hard limit as to what BA will pay? Switzerland is pricy after all. I'm going to be reasonable but if I eat at the hotel restaurant for example it could rack up quite quickly today. I'm also wondering about getting the hotel to do some laundry for me as I've packed light, would BA refund that too?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:06 am

Many thanks sir - have just booked that - seems the best option. Much better than Croydon.
If you have bags take a taxi from the station. Otherwise it's a 15 minute walk downhill to the sea and turn right. It's right by the BA i360.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:07 am

That’s good to know, thanks. Is it worth calling ASAP to sort out rebooking for tomorrow?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
And now I'm wondering: when it comes to meals, is there a soft/hard limit as to what BA will pay? Switzerland is pricy after all. I'm going to be reasonable but if I eat at the hotel restaurant for example it could rack up quite quickly today. I'm also wondering about getting the hotel to do some laundry for me as I've packed light, would BA refund that too?
BA don't refund laundry, but do refund new clothes purchase if baggage is held up (don't shoot messenger). The meal guideline I think is £20 but we all know what prices are like in CH so I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you are sensible. Photo the receipt. just get alcohol billed separately, they won't carry that unless you're vvvvVIP.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by LonTen
That’s good to know, thanks. Is it worth calling ASAP to sort out rebooking for tomorrow?
I wouldn't bother. I think the chance of a cancellation is very high and then you may be able to rebook via MMB. I imagine the contact centres are overloaded.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:22 am

I wouldn't bother. I think the chance of a cancellation is very high and then you may be able to rebook via MMB. I imagine the contact centres are overloaded.
OPO is now cancelled @LonTen
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
BA don't refund laundry, but do refund new clothes purchase if baggage is held up (don't shoot messenger). The meal guideline I think is £20 but we all know what prices are like in CH so I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you are sensible. Photo the receipt. just get alcohol billed separately, they won't carry that unless you're vvvvVIP.
Many thanks for the help I can live with the laundry expenses if that's the worst part in all this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.