FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Glasgow Do - Saturday 25th April 2020, Merchant City *Postponed* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2002477-glasgow-do-saturday-25th-april-2020-merchant-city-postponed.html)

FEMW Jan 6, 2020 9:19 am

A doo?? I'm a maybe plus one and will confirm when numbers need to be confirmed! Nephoi - the Riverside Museum (designed by Zaha Hadid) is worth a look!

Ashton Lane is good but could be a little cramped - not been in the Grand Central (yet). As long as it is within walking distance of Queen St Station for my train home to Gleneagles. Now there's a nice hotel.....

jcm9000 Jan 6, 2020 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi (Post 31914971)
booked
Friday:
BA 987
Ba1496

Sunday: Ba1483
BA994

is anybody else in GLA for the whole weekend? Any suggestions for the saturday? somebody interested in a little sightseeing tour?

You can do the usual bus tour (hop on / hop off - https://citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk...ummer-2018.pdf), that takes you to the Clydeside distillery and just up from that the transport museum ( i work relatively close by the SEC and pop in at lunch sometimes for some peace and quiet assuming school trips aren't in); Kelvingrove art gallery and museum (quite the place and worth a visit); will also drive you through Glasgow uni campus which has quite the main building etcetc. Other than that, sightseeing in glasgow usually involves standing around with a pint watching the neds fighting each other or sitting in George Square watching for neds chasing the pigeons.....then fighting each other. Very much a shopping mecca centered around Buchanan Street/Buchanan Galleries, and food and drink options are excellent across the city (or coffee shops if you like standing in queues). It's not really a city for walking about for sightseeing like Edinburgh is, unless you like architecture - then the whole of the city centre simply walk about and look up. All the old buildings have very interesting design features.

If you wanted to wander more around Glasgow Uni, you can get the clockwork orange (subway) from the city centre round to Hillhead and go wandering; or simply walk up sauchiehall street and keep going - you'll then pop through kelvingrove park and out at Glasgow Uni on the other side of University Avenue. It's a nice walk once in the park. Ashton Lane is out that way (get the subway to hillhead for that) - small cobbled street with decent bars and restaurants.

Lots of restaurants around the city if staying other than Saturday (hundreds....). Ox & Finch in Finnieston is excellent, as is Six by Nico - both are at the top of Glasgow's choices; must reserve those (and lots of other eateries along Argyle Street in Finnieston). It is just a couple of roads though, nowt much interesting about it - few Vegan options too. In town on Queen Street there is a little gem for sushi and Katsu: Ichiban. It's a long standing city institution and most don't know it is there. The Katsu and Ramen is superb. Curry houses everywhere, in town I always head to a wee place called Charcoals on Renfield Street. The chap that runs it feeds the homeless on certain nights of the week and the place deserves support. TukTuk for smaller indian dishes is up at the top end of Sauchiehall street which recently has become a ghost town thanks to the art school burning half the buildings down (twice) - they badly need customers. Couple of good full on Indian restaurants around, and a bit further up is the Bon Accord pub just over the M8 near Charing Cross (just off top end of Sauchiehall street) - it is Whisky Galore in there! There's a few steak houses in town, also a very good one out on Otago street near Glasgow uni - subway to Kelvinbridge and walk round to Tiffney's. Stravaigin is also near by to that if you want a bit of a wacky Scottish menu. Sartis in town is always good for italian (three Sartis in town). And on and on and on...

Oh, if anyone is badly in need of champagne, Vroni's wine bar on West Nile street has an ok selection, and of course the champagne bar at the central station hotel. A visit to the horseshoe bar near central will bring you back down to earth. If you want a proper glaswegian pub (like the horseshoe), there are a few around, Lauders on Sauchiehall Street is always full of local punters giving you dirty looks and has cheap food galore, but it's a good boozer to watch us all going about our day on Sauchiehall Street. If you fancy some german beers, the Bavarian Brauhaus is a brilliant pub. Just round the corner from central station on Bothwell Street. Bier Halle on Gordon Street (also near central) has hundreds of over priced beers as well, but is a neat place. Buy a stein, get a free sausage!

I haven't included all the places at the Merchant City as that is a possible for the do - Merchant square is a nice place and probably the best place for us all to meet up for a couple of hours. I'll take a donder down there later in the week and see if there is the possibility of getting a space held in the square, then we can all pop to the various bars at your leisure to try them out (beer cafe is in there too with hundreds of hugely over priced beers), or pop outside to Blackfriars or the like for a real pint with the locals. Lots of eateries in the merchant city too worth checking out.

GrayBDG Jan 6, 2020 9:45 am

Originally Posted by FEMW (Post 31915085)
A doo??

Reminds me of a little ditty my dad used to sing - "I wish I was a pigeon, a doo, a doo...". One for the Glaswegians...

jcm9000 Jan 6, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 31909396)
It holds some wonderful memories for me....as does the station. Used to be a decent Chinese restaurant across the road as well.

It's still there HIDDY! Like to pop in every now and then for a feed. Still has the dragon in the ceiling....

megaloman Jan 6, 2020 10:15 am

call me maybe 🎶

onobond Jan 6, 2020 10:16 am

Aaah, just like some other posters, I'm far away that weekend. Not far enough to jump on the WickedStepMother SYD DO, but more or less half way there.

To all being able to go, have a great time in Glasgow !

Cheers!

jcm9000 Jan 6, 2020 10:31 am

Originally Posted by megaloman (Post 31915291)
call me maybe 🎶

Hi maybe.

Physci Jan 6, 2020 2:02 pm

Myself and Smallclanger are in

Speedbird Julie Jan 8, 2020 8:40 am

Count me in guys!

Speedbird Julie Jan 8, 2020 8:45 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31904745)
Booked.

On BA1482 LHR-GLA 1200d Saturday, and Sunday BA1487 GLA-LHR 1415d connecting on to MAN. Staying at the Hilton Glasgow on Saturday night.

Thank you for organising cgtechuk ^

I think I know you... :)

KARFA Jan 8, 2020 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird Julie (Post 31923951)
I think I know you... :)

Ah of course! Will see you there :)

travellingscotsman Jan 8, 2020 12:07 pm

Anyone still looking for a hotel in Glasgow for 25/4 (and not willing to give Hilton £158!) might consider this deal - £65 for City Centre hotel https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/hotel-b...9-89719c46d80c

Nephoi Jan 8, 2020 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by travellingscotsman (Post 31924838)
Anyone still looking for a hotel in Glasgow for 25/4 (and not willing to give Hilton £158!) might consider this deal - £65 for City Centre hotel https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/hotel-b...9-89719c46d80c

We’re sorry, it appears you’re having difficulty completing your purchase. Please call us on +44 (0) 20 3564 3000 during business hours, Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm.

ugh...

flylikelinz Jan 8, 2020 3:15 pm

just booked flights, looking forward to it.

BarelyBAGold Jan 8, 2020 5:01 pm

Definitely interested