FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Glasgow Do - Saturday 25th April 2020, Merchant City *Postponed* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2002477-glasgow-do-saturday-25th-april-2020-merchant-city-postponed.html)

Calchas Mar 26, 2020 12:48 pm

One of my flights is cancelled. :-) I too will not be expending energy on a rebook.

Worcester Mar 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller (Post 32210840)
Indeed - some of the small independent operators are battling on, but many are closing, particularly the bigger venues and ones offering food. I am sure there will be many drinking dens that will remain open if they can!

Ghe more that happens the longer the restrictions remain in place. Let’s hope any licensee stupid enough to carry on looses their license.

DYKWIA Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 32235248)
Ghe more that happens the longer the restrictions remain in place. Let’s hope any licensee stupid enough to carry on looses their license.

You're replying to a post that was from before the closure of bars and restaurants was mandated.

scottishpoet Mar 29, 2020 5:47 pm

at what point does this event get postponed?

KARFA Mar 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 32245816)
at what point does this event get postponed?

I don’t think it’s been noted in the wiki yet, but it’s postponed.

LCSinTexas Apr 3, 2020 4:52 am

Ok, is this still on (as a "Virtual" Do)?

squawk Apr 3, 2020 5:13 am

As my trip which clashed with this has also been cancelled, I will hopefully be able to make this whenever it is rearranged :D

corporate-wage-slave Apr 3, 2020 6:20 am

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas (Post 32259956)
Ok, is this still on (as a "Virtual" Do)?

That was my semi random suggestion, which I should have run past our illustrious organiser / OP first. But it's an idea which has some merit, presumably using Skype as the lowest common denominator. Group Video Chat has a maximum 50 participants, the downside is that participants will lose most of their anonymity if they participate, but that was the case if they attended a pub event anyway. There are loads of other software options, but Skype is probably the easiest entry level system which many will have already installed on their PCs/tabliets/phones.

CaroFos Apr 3, 2020 7:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32260066)
That was my semi random suggestion, which I should have run past our illustrious organiser / OP first. But it's an idea which has some merit, presumably using Skype as the lowest common denominator. Group Video Chat has a maximum 50 participants, the downside is that participants will lose most of their anonymity if they participate, but that was the case if they attended a pub event anyway. There are loads of other software options, but Skype is probably the easiest entry level system which many will have already installed on their PCs/tabliets/phones.

Zoom seems to work well.. people can choose to just use voice calling if they wish? I think it would be fun to carry on in some format if CGTECHUK is happy? :-)

alex67500 Apr 3, 2020 7:38 am

I'm happy to host it, my account doesn't have the 40-minute time limit (although it does have the 100-people limit on it).

jfallesen Apr 3, 2020 9:58 am

Another option is to use WebEx. Anyone can set up a free account and there are no time restrictions on sessions but only up to 100 people. Available for Android, iPhone, Windows and Mac.

(Disclosure: This is a product offered by the company I work for but I do not get any commission for recommending it.)

Physci Apr 3, 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 32260238)
I'm happy to host it, my account doesn't have the 40-minute time limit (although it does have the 100-people limit on it).

I can go up to 500 people - not that i think we would need that many connections!

Vinotraveller Apr 5, 2020 5:01 am

This sounds like a great idea. I did a similar thing on a smaller scale with a group of friends yesterday and it worked well. Now that I am not travelling on the 25th I'd certainly join in.

squawk Jul 10, 2020 10:07 am

Idle Friday afternoon thought, prompted by a discussion with a friend from Glasgow: did this 'meet' ever happen virtually as was being discussed after the in-person was postponed?

Given many people are still some way off travelling (and in-person DOs will be challenging for quite some time yet), is there any merit in having a virtual meet sometime in August, say?

alex67500 Jul 10, 2020 12:07 pm

I don't think it happened as far as I know. I agree, a DO would be a good idea. Should we start a poll for dates?