FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Glasgow Do - Saturday 25th April 2020, Merchant City *Postponed* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2002477-glasgow-do-saturday-25th-april-2020-merchant-city-postponed.html)

Nephoi Jan 5, 2020 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Mountlodge (Post 31911451)
For those whom Glaswegian is not their mother tongue, this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSWlfcg6oA

i may now have to cancel the plans, sorry but i dont understand that :)

scottishpoet Jan 5, 2020 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 31909439)
? Byers Road, Argyle St, Dumbarton Road?

Calling Argyle street the west end would, in my opinion, be pushing it. Argyle street is city centre.

If someone said "west end" to me I would consider it to be the area around Byers Road

HIDDY Jan 5, 2020 10:54 am

My thoughts on the three areas earmarked for the Do. The West End for me is a tad out of the way....and full of students. Finnieston must have been tarted up as it used to be known for women of the night. The Merchant City is a bit too Hooray Henry for me but if you like flashing your Gold card you'll fit in well. :D
Of the three I'd prefer the Merchant City or somewhere close by....the centre is where the action is.

Last20 Jan 5, 2020 11:01 am

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan (Post 31908230)
The Indigo is OK but you could be anywhere. The Grand Central is much more of an iconic hotel. The champagne bar is a great place to people watch and, if you're in the bar later in the evening, you can watch drunk folk running for - and usually missing - their last train home. I know this as I've been one of said drunk folk.

Thanks for the tip! The Grand Central it is then, and I'm looking forward to the street entertainment.

scottishpoet Jan 5, 2020 11:09 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 31911732)
My thoughts on the three areas earmarked for the Do. The West End for me is a tad out of the way....and full of students. Finnieston must have been tarted up as it used to be known for women of the night. The Merchant City is a bit too Hooray Henry for me but if you like flashing your Gold card you'll fit in well. :D
Of the three I'd prefer the Merchant City or somewhere close by....the centre is where the action is.

Somewhere close to the Savoy :)

zafiragirl Jan 5, 2020 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 31909396)
It holds some wonderful memories for me....as does the station. Used to be a decent Chinese restaurant across the road as well.

Think you might be referring to the China Sea... still there, still good food and good value. Famous in our family because when I dared to order from the European dishes many years ago, the waiter immediately stomped back and thumped the vinegar and ketchup down on the table in front of me :D

Count me and Mr Z in for this one. A Glasgow do 15 minutes from home? Can't wait!!

fluffymitten Jan 5, 2020 12:29 pm

Put me +1 down as a maybe. Am in in Glasgow often enough that this could work out

PETER01 Jan 5, 2020 12:48 pm

Put me down as a strong maybe please as I'm now temporarily based a stones throw away from Glasgow for the next 18 months or so.

From Edinburgh, my accent will have no issues on the night...…….ken whata meen?

:p

Physci Jan 5, 2020 1:23 pm

Hoping to attend if I can arrange a reason to visit my Glasgow based colleagues on the preceding Friday ...

GlasgowCyclops Jan 5, 2020 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 31909439)
? Byers Road, Argyle St, Dumbarton Road?

Generally the byres road area. Argyll street I would call finnieston. Still in the West end mind you. :-)

All IMHO off course. :-)

Aledin Jan 5, 2020 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 31911777)
Somewhere close to the Savoy :)

The Suave Sav!?? Count me in - now in Edinburgh but I’ll be coming though

Symmetre Jan 5, 2020 6:48 pm

Count me as a firm maybe. There's a 50-50 chance I will be in the UK in late April for a conference. If that comes to be, I'm good with staying the extra day. Should know for sure by mid-February.

SWISSBOBBY Jan 6, 2020 12:08 am

Unfortunately as that is the weekend of the London Marathon, and I am working as a tour guide (cat herder) I will not be able to attend.

Have fun in Glasgow,

SB

Nephoi Jan 6, 2020 8:51 am

booked
Friday:
BA 987
Ba1496

Sunday: Ba1483
BA994

is anybody else in GLA for the whole weekend? Any suggestions for the saturday? somebody interested in a little sightseeing tour?

cgtechuk Jan 6, 2020 9:12 am

Wiki Updated to post #74