Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Greg66
If the strike goes ahead, assuming those using LHR are prepared to do so we could with a thread containing some real time on the ground reporting of how it is all going.

I’m not due at the airport until 2pm. I’m happy to play reporter but would certainly appreciate some intel before I arrive.
We are flying at 745 to SOF so arriving about 430. Will update on the security etc when and if we are through...
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm leaving from T3 at 14:30 tomorrow which I'm imagining will be the start of the worst part of the process.
Unfortunately I can't arrive at T3 until about 12:00, nothing I can do to change that. Will let you all know what T3 looks like when I arrive and see what people are doing with baggage.
I'll be taking a small backpack as my hand luggage (laptop, change of clothes and a toothbrush!) and checking a small bag of clothes.
Anything else people want me to look for or report back on when I get there I'd be happy to do.
I 'm preparing to arrive at 12:00 and spend the 2.5hrs before departure in various queues!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:11 am

Seems someone forgot to switch off the automatic email pre departure which may cause a bit of confusion amongst some.....

"We look forward to welcoming you on board your flight with British Airways tomorrow and would like to remind you that you may carry on 1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in plus 1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in). Please be aware that items such as Powerbanks, spare batteries, lighters/matches and e-cigarettes cannot be carried in checked baggage.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Heathrow Terminal 5."
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
All media outlets and the HAL website announce 170 cancellations but are not yet saying which ones. I think the situation is bad enough without compounding it by not announcing which flights are cancelled. Sure we can guess the usual domestics and a mix of short-hauls to trim down the schedule but this feels like it’s being handled badly.

I’m not waiting to see if BA announce my LHR-MUC flight is cancelled. I’m flying from LGW on EZ.
wrp96, Schwann and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
All media outlets and the HAL website announce 170 cancellations but are not yet saying which ones. I think the situation is bad enough without compounding it by not announcing which flights are cancelled. Sure we can guess the usual domestics and a mix of short-hauls to trim down the schedule but this feels like it’s being handled badly.

I’m not waiting to see if BA announce my LHR-MUC flight is cancelled. I’m flying from LGW on EZ.
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/heat...arting-monday/

This gives information for Virgin/ Flybe etc.
As you’ve highlighted BA are happy to bury their heads in the sand rather than let their customers know what their plans are!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: LH SEN
But strike might be cancelled/postponed today, why should they cancel flights until they don’t know for sure the strike status?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by BKft
But strike might be cancelled/postponed today, why should they cancel flights until they don’t know for sure the strike status?
Unless Unite back down, it’s happening!

Allowing customers to know which flights they intend to cancel, allows them to plan their other options.

Refusing to let customers know will just make the problems worse for them.
wrp96, Schwann and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by BKft
Its called planning ahead. They do this already in case of weather advisories. Sometimes the storm hits and sometimes it doesn’t.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adobbing

Unless Unite back down, it’s happening!

Allowing customers to know which flights they intend to cancel, allows them to plan their other options.

Refusing to let customers know will just make the problems worse for them.
Indeed.. judging by Twitter BA seem to be digging their heads in the sand.

They could at least publish a list of planned cancellations with a deadline by which time they are confirmed.

I rather suspect we'll have that list later today anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by BAEC

Its called planning ahead. They do this already in case of weather advisories. Sometimes the storm hits and sometimes it doesn’t.
Absolutely, I don't know what are the usual procedures but it seems that the best way to move forward would be to announce the list of potentially cancelled flights. I understand that they won't cancel anything until the absolute last minute for them (waiting today's end of talks; financial reasons), but more information helping passenger contigency plans would be a way to go.

Edit: my question from above was more from their point of view, not mine...

Last edited by BKft; Aug 4, 2019 at 5:53 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by adobbing
Think it through. There are 23 scheduled flights between LHR and EDI on Monday and Tuesday. Let's say they announced 6 of them could be cancelled. I imagine they have this list somewhere right now. They then have to decide whether to allow people to shift to one of the 17 flights still running.

If they allow rebooking, everyone on the 6 flights would have to call up, since the website and app need a confirmed cancellation to release the ticket to allow online rebooking to work (and that's flaky at the best of times). After long delays on the Contact Centre - and other people with critical matter also being held up - it turns out that the strike is called off. Some people presumably would ring back and ask to go back on to their old flight. If they can get through. Some may cancel their booking, and then it will be very difficult to reinstate it later.

If they don't allow rebooking until this evening, then people are still going to call up, only to be told "wait until later".

Alternative solution: cancel the relevant flights, online tools will do some work, Contact Centre will be dealing with known problems.
KARFA, nancypants and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAEC
Pro active cancellations for bad weather tend to be announced on the same timescale - so usually mid to late afternoon the day before.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
BA flights from LHR to Berlin already zeroed out in all classes for Monday and Tuesday. Lufthansa to Munich and Frankfurt as well, and some Lufthansa flights already show as cancelled.
Glad I could switch to LCY, good luck to everyone else!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
17 cancellations coming. Outbound only, aircraft will still position out.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
2 Edinburgh flights cancelled tomorrow
Also 2 for Glasgow

these were just random checks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.