Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Any word yet on whether the fire fighters are still going out?

From the Unite the Union Website https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...n-pay-dispute/

Please note that this was dated 22nd July

Over 90 firefighters and fire and rescue staff at Heathrow Airport have become the latest group of workers to vote for strike action at the UK’s busiest airport in a dispute over pay, their union Unite announced today (Monday 22 July).The vote, which saw fire and rescue workers back strike action by 97.6 per cent on a turnout of 90.2 per cent, means they will join over 4,000 Heathrow Airport workers in their second and third two day strikes planned for Monday 5 August and Tuesday 6 August, and Friday 23 August and Saturday 24 August.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by alexwuk
What are people's assumption to be any latitude for F pax in terms of carry on size? I travel with one IATA cabin standard sized roll-aboard as my only piece of luggage but checking it is going to be a real issue.
I am flying in F LHR to SFO Tuesday - called BA and was told (they had to go check first) that yes same restrictions apply. I asked whether there would be any type of compensation as I actually chose a380 specifically due to good space for my wheeled case and small bag and they said "that might be worth doing afterwards",

They would not let me rebook for any other day yet (though they did say that might change based on what's decided tomorrow) so it is quite annoying to see other airlines proactively allowing this.

I know it's only first world problems but going from 5 mins via First wing to lounge with hand luggage only so out of airport quickly other end to 1 to 3? hours checking in and going through security with a billion other stressed people and then waiting for 600 bags at the carousel the other end is annoying. Oh well.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:15 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Greg66

But... T3 serves a number of airlines besides BA. As far as I can tell, only BA is telling its passengers to confine themselves to one small piece of hand baggage. I foresee a degree of frustration standing in the security queues on Monday with the BA-prescribed one bag, behind a bunch of passengers travelling on other airlines with “normal” carry on luggage.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am flying in on JAL F T3 on the 6th connecting to BA T5 (less than 2 hour connection time, expecting to miss my flight to YUL). There is nothing on the JAL website, that I can find, mentioning any restrictions to LHR. I will keep monitoring obviously
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am flying in on JAL F T3 on the 6th connecting to BA T5 (less than 2 hour connection time, expecting to miss my flight to YUL). There is nothing on the JAL website, that I can find, mentioning any restrictions to LHR. I will keep monitoring obviously
It might be a unique thing for BA, because they are without a doubt the airline that is worst impacted by LHR strike among all major carriers, due to the sheer number of flights out of LHR.

What would be a couple of flights affected for JL across their entire network, it would be a very high proportion for BA if a lot of their passengers are held up at security and they'd end up missing their flights - which might result in flights being held or being rebooked but then, it could really unravel due to having already been on a cut-back schedule because of the strike, and cumulative delays causing curfew issues. That would be even worse than the already-announced cancellations and harder to recover from both from passengers' (e.g. getting rebooked quickly would be very difficult) and the airline's perspective.

Considering those aspects, I don't think we can really blame BA even if they are the only carrier restricting hand luggage to small pieces only so that they can avoid further issues.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 3, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:56 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I understand and agree, was not complaining about BA, just providing a data point. I will go with the flow as usual
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by cauchy
I think it's fair to characterise this as a "me, me, me" matter. But if security is willing (and presumably able) to handle the baggage screening for 2 bags per person, then it is reasonable for customers to expect this be done. To allude to those who want two bags as not being sensible is perhaps too strong a response. Indeed, to suggest Heathrow would otherwise be closed down is a bit excessive.
Surely it’s a common sense thing. If you have a skeleton resource such as security by restricting it to one small bag you are maximising the amount of people you can screen efficiently, if the already stretched resource has to double its work because people want to take 2 bags an 40 minute wait could be 80 minutes. This could mean passengers stuck in security and missing their flights. The airlines will then have to decide do they wait or do they offload... waiting means knock on delays and possible missed slots...not great for anybody but would you still want to be obstinate and take 2 bags with a higher chance you won’t get to your destination?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NDG40
I am flying in F LHR to SFO Tuesday - called BA and was told (they had to go check first) that yes same restrictions apply. I asked whether there would be any type of compensation as I actually chose a380 specifically due to good space for my wheeled case and small bag and they said "that might be worth doing afterwards",

They would not let me rebook for any other day yet (though they did say that might change based on what's decided tomorrow) so it is quite annoying to see other airlines proactively allowing this.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum NDG40, it is always good to see new people here, and I hope we will see more of you. And I hope you manage to have a good trip to California despite the difficulties.

I really can't see BA offering any compensation for this. The agent was right to say it might be worth doing afterwards, since the agent could not know the company's policy on this, but I think you'll have to make do with a slightly apologetic sounding email. The 1 to 3 hour stretch at SFO seems an exaggeration to me since the way that would work would be when a significant minority of passengers are HBO but most have to reclaim near simultaneously when their bags are delivered to the belts - and a few other aircraft are doing the same. Given the way SFO now works, and given the kiosks, I doubt this is a valid scenario any more, I doubt it would add more than about 20 minutes to the process in SFO. And 20 minutes is within the span of flight time between London and California. Now I don't like hanging around baggage reclaim either, but trying to get an A380 to depart on time from Heathrow over the next few days is going to be a bigger challenge and potentially more tedious, I suspect.
ELLX likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
If the strike goes ahead, assuming those using LHR are prepared to do so we could with a thread containing some real time on the ground reporting of how it is all going.

I’m not due at the airport until 2pm. I’m happy to play reporter but would certainly appreciate some intel before I arrive.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL , HH Gold, UA Plat
If the strike goes ahead, assuming those using LHR are prepared to do so we could with a thread containing some real time on the ground reporting of how it is all going.

I’m not due at the airport until 2pm. I’m happy to play reporter but would certainly appreciate some intel before I arrive.
I am arriving into T5 at 5pm on Monday and leaving at 1pm on Tuesday also out of T5 and will happily report on both those days. (I shall go upstairs after arrival and see what security is looking like)
If people who are flying earlier on both days could do the same I would be extremely grateful!
Greg66 and thegamebird like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’m on the 7am LHR-NCL tomorrow (5th), planning to arrive @ 4.30am and see how it goes. Hopefully atleast the lounges will be open.
Greg66 and thegamebird like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: LH SEN
I (hopefully) have a flight connection tomorrow from T5 to T3, will provide feedback here.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
We're travelling at the tail end of the disruption to SYD, 21:30 on the 6th. Thanks in advance for all the potential real-life reports which I have no doubt will help all of us steeling ourselves to travel out of LHR in the coming days. We'll also share our experiences for what they're worth.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am on the BA1474 to GLA at 0820 tomorrow and going to aim to be at the airport for 0500ish!

We we shall see how successful that is - will report back!

Just noticed this is my 2000 post too!

aks120
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Depending on level of disruption tomorrow I’ll be calling BA about changing my long haul flight given tight connection in JFK (BA booking / AA flight). I know that strikes can get them out of EU261 compensation but if they’re selling tickets on earlier flights from LHR and don’t let let me move given the highly predictable consequences of a missed connection (overnight stay in JFK many hours late into SFO) it should be helpful to any claim. The “reasonable efforts” obligation doesn’t fall away just because of extraordinary circumstances...
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I'm due to fly out of T5 around 13:00 on Monday, back at into T5 20:00 same day and out of T3 at 10:30 on Tuesday so I will get a two terminal adventure.. will be sure to give my impression.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.