FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1977926-lhr-strikes-hal-employees-23-24-aug-2019-called-off-now.html)

Greg66 Jul 13, 2019 7:53 am

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Unite announced yesterday six strike dates for workers at LHR, two later this month and four in August. I’m not especially clear as to which employees at LHR this would affect; it is being reported that they are customer service, engineering and security staff. LHR says it has contingency plans in place to keep things running.

Anyway, the point: I’m due to fly on one of the strike dates. Has anyone in the past flown on a strike day and experienced the efficacy (or otherwise) of the contingency plans. Idly wondering what I can expect...

Genius1 Jul 13, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 (Post 31299256)
I’m not especially clear as to which employees at LHR this would affect; it is being reported that they are customer service, engineering and security staff.

I think you just answered your own question ;) Also included are airside operational staff.

HAL staff have never striked before, so nobody has first hand experience of this.

orbitmic Jul 13, 2019 8:08 am

Would be nice to include the strike dates!

Greg66 Jul 13, 2019 8:13 am

Strike dates: 26 July, 27 July, 5 August, 6 August, 23 August and 24 August.

I can (obviously!) read the categories of striking workers, but I have no idea (for example) how many LHR customer service employees who might be striking do things that actually affect passengers. Are they sales staff in the shops? Or are they lounge staff? Or check in staff (who I thought we’re employed by the airlines)?

Anyway, sounds like it’s a first so a bit of a learning experience for everyone. What japes!

TimDP Jul 13, 2019 8:15 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ghlight=strike

Genius1 Jul 13, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 (Post 31299295)
I can (obviously!) read the categories of striking workers, but I have no idea (for example) how many LHR customer service employees who might be striking do things that actually affect passengers. Are they sales staff in the shops? Or are they lounge staff? Or check in staff (who I thought we’re employed by the airlines)?

The main population of HAL staff affected are security officers, and this would be the most notable interaction with HAL staff for the majority of passengers.

Most HAL customer service staff are behind the scenes (although trolley operatives are visible, for example), as are engineering (who maintain the infrastructure) and other operations staff (responsible for airfield safety, non-T5 stand allocation etc.).

Sales staff in shops are employed by the retailers, not HAL. Ground staff are employed by ground handlers or airlines, not HAL.

anniegray Jul 13, 2019 9:02 am

Oh dear, I also have flights on the 26th...

Greg66 Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 31299316)
The main population of HAL staff affected are security officers, and this would be the most notable interaction with HAL staff for the majority of passengers.

Most HAL customer service staff are behind the scenes (although trolley operatives are visible, for example), as are engineering (who maintain the infrastructure) and other operations staff (responsible for airfield safety, non-T5 stand allocation etc.).

Sales staff in shops are employed by the retailers, not HAL. Ground staff are employed by ground handlers or airlines, not HAL.

Thanks. Sounds like this has the potential to be quite disruptive.

Balls.

ETA:

Originally Posted by TimDP (Post 31299301)

Oh, FFS!!!

mmxbreaks Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

Different strike to the BA employees strike - which might actually happen at the same time in early August for some double mayhem.

Hoping my flight landing into LHR on the 6th August won't be affected. It'll need to depart LHR the bad before to position, so if that's affected then, well, who knows.

Brisbane Road Jul 13, 2019 11:56 am

I’m flying on the 26th too. As well as on a couple of the other days scheduled.

Predictable over reactions on this forum, people only read the headlines and panic.

Heathrow have said they have the contingency plans in place to deal with the strike and BA on Twitter have said they plan to operate a normal schedule. For now, chill out guys.

siw Jul 14, 2019 1:20 am

Typical, a friend is arriving into LHR T2 for her first visit to the UK on 23rd August.

I guess it's too early to know what issues will occur.

Tiger_lily Jul 14, 2019 1:27 am

So the first date is after many of the London schools break up for summer and the last one is the bank holiday weekend.

That’ll be fun

Grace B Jul 14, 2019 1:45 am

I have a paid BA ticket OTP-LHR for 6 Aug (when there may be a HAL and BA strike).

I have panicked and taken out some insurance in the form of a FR ticket OTP-STN for the same day (similar timings too) for £50. If the LHR option goes belly up I hope to be able to cancel for free.

nancypants Jul 14, 2019 1:58 am

I haven’t been back to the UK in 5 years and have been dodging strikes the entire way. Amusingly 26th July is my return date. I’ll be a transit passenger at LHR so hopefully will be OK but I have a nice long buffer of time ex BCN so perhaps will see if I can take an earlier flight to LHR, if IB do the business

NWIFlyer Jul 14, 2019 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 31301376)
I have a paid BA ticket OTP-LHR for 6 Aug (when there may be a HAL and BA strike).

I have panicked and taken out some insurance in the form of a FR ticket OTP-STN for the same day (similar timings too) for £50. If the LHR option goes belly up I hope to be able to cancel for free.

I would be cautious about booking any FR back-up - there are also potential strikes at LGW & STN. At STN this could affect check-in staff, but clearly there is a possibility that if the STN-OTP flight doesn’t operate then nor will the return.

More details in the thread in the UK&I forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-...ug-2019-a.html