Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Hi everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Thanks for lots of useful advice over the years.
In a case of spectacular timing, this Monday (5th), I'm booked MRS-LHR with BA on an Avios ticket, and LHR-JFK on a separate, paid, BA W ticket (on AA metal). My connection time was already relatively brisk at 1h45, but the strike is giving me cause to feel very nervous about the chances of making the AA flight, particularly given the fact that I'm not on a through itinerary. The only mitigating factors I have are BA Gold and the fact that it's a T3-T3 connection.
Any recommendations? Stop worrying and hope all goes well? Or contact BA and see if they're happy to 'link' my itineraries / put me on an alternative routing?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by BAEC

As transit passengers must clear security at LHR.
Not true for connections from UK airports - unless they are introducing an extra security check....
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Firstly welcome to Flyertalk monsell1, and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, I hope you will find this board interesting and that you will continue to be active here.

The one advantage the split booking may have - though I am not certain - is that it could allow you the usual cabin baggage allowance to T3, and then as far as I can tell AA is using the same baggage allowance as normal departing services. Otherwise I don't fancy your chances recollecting and rechecking baggage.

AA are allowing changes on their services, and from the wording it appears they would allow a change from 5 to 6 August for example, definitely for 7 August. You also appear to have the option to travel on Sunday 4 August, since both tickets can be changed for that. If you want to protect your more expensive ticket I would suggest moving it to another day and/or moving the MRS-LHR service to Sunday.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:46 am

I had to clear security again at LHR when flying in from Manchester transiting at Heathrow heading to the USA. T3 security was particulary unpleasant.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by travellertales
I had to clear security again at LHR when flying in from Manchester transiting at Heathrow heading to the USA. T3 security was particulary unpleasant.
That would indeed be normal if transferring between terminals. But had you gone from a USA/other service at T5 - essentially another BA or IB flight - there is no additional security if you follow the correct signs. Ditto for domestic T2 to international T2 services. Anything involving a transfer between terminal will result in an additional security check due to the fact that you have mixed with other travellers from different countries. The one exception is if you get BA or AA to transfer you direct via one of their cars or vans.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Not true for connections from UK airports - unless they are introducing an extra security check....
ok I stand corrected. So do UK domestic arriving into T5 and onward international connection at T5 go straight into the departure lounge with just a boarding card check?

Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BAEC

ok I stand corrected. So do UK domestic arriving into T5 and onward international connection at T5 go straight into the departure lounge with just a boarding card check?

Yes that is correct.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I'm on BA1340 (0815 to LBA) on the 6th so I phoned GGL this morning to see if there was any chance of not taking the outbound, but protecting the inbound on 17/08, then I'd just take the train up to Leeds as my arrival isn't time critical. They said they could cancel my flight but there would be no refund and just advised me to arrive at T5 in plenty of time.

I'm not bothered about checking my case, I was planning to anyway, but I am bothered in case I don't get it back - we're starting an 11 day trip to SIN/HKG the next day so not having my bag would be a pain.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Tiffywren
I'm not bothered about checking my case, I was planning to anyway, but I am bothered in case I don't get it back - we're starting an 11 day trip to SIN/HKG the next day so not having my bag would be a pain.
Hopefully the measures in place here will help, but BA will rightly have to prioritise timekeeping over checked baggage, so if for whatever reason they haven't got to the aircraft in time for take off, and it's more than a few minutes away, usually the service will depart without them. So while I would hope most passengers will be fine, I think the usual pre-planning as to what really would be needed for the first 2 or 3 days after arrival is even more important, just in case there is a bit of a delay. Things like phone chargers and bottle openers.....
Tiffywren likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:26 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
This morning the agents at TFW seemed happy to allow changes to long haul bookings rather than follow the official BA guidelines strictly.

I have an Avios booking for Monday morning and made a separate one for Sunday evening. I was intending to hold on to the Monday one until just over 24 hours before in case the strike is cancelled and the agent suggested that it would actually be possible to cancel it within 24 hours and still get a full refund.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully the measures in place here will help, but BA will rightly have to prioritise timekeeping over checked baggage, so if for whatever reason they haven't got to the aircraft in time for take off, and it's more than a few minutes away, usually the service will depart without them. So while I would hope most passengers will be fine, I think the usual pre-planning as to what really would be needed for the first 2 or 3 days after arrival is even more important, just in case there is a bit of a delay. Things like phone chargers and bottle openers.....
We're on the BA15 on Day 2 of the strike, so towards the latter end of the disruption. Being ever the optimist, I'm hoping it will all be a little less intense especially in terms of cabin baggage - we'd planned to mitigate for the potential non-arrival of checked baggage by packing a small roller bag with a couple of days worth of clothes for the fam, now that idea's clearly been kiboshed! Our concern is that our x7 checked cases (relocating to Australasia for nearly a year) not making it to SYD and then on to CNS where we transfer on the day of arrival. Do we think this could potentially be mitigated by early check in of the bags? Is there anything else we could do to try and ensure they make it onto the flight?

And finally, what's the reason we feel baggage could be caught up in this? Is it because of security screening of checked baggage carried out by HAL staff mentioned up-thread?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by thegamebird
And finally, what's the reason we feel baggage could be caught up in this? Is it because of security screening of checked baggage carried out by HAL staff mentioned up-thread?
That's the reason I believe there could be problems, there could be delays getting the bags through security, though as is well known, on the whole checked bags get to aircraft before the passengers. Checking in the bags on the Twilight Service may help but there again it's perfectly possible to get delayed bags in completely normal circumstances, there is no foolproof solution. So long as you are half prepared then it reduces the difficulty of delayed baggage but in any event bags typically show up 2 days later at your final destination.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's the reason I believe there could be problems, there could be delays getting the bags through security, though as is well known, on the whole checked bags get to aircraft before the passengers. Checking in the bags on the Twilight Service may help but there again it's perfectly possible to get delayed bags in completely normal circumstances, there is no foolproof solution. So long as you are half prepared then it reduces the difficulty of delayed baggage but in any event bags typically show up 2 days later at your final destination.
Our Viewtags turned up today, so three of the bags will be tagged with them. It'll be cold comfort knowing that we'll potentially be waving goodbye to our bags as we take off!!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Has anyone with a long haul connecting thru LHR been allowed to reroute/change their ticket?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Has anyone with a long haul connecting thru LHR been allowed to reroute/change their ticket?
I have spoken to BA CS on twitter thi morning, NO LH re being rebooked atm

They offered a Reroute , but only at a cost

They DID clarify baggage situation though.. 23KG PLUS your hand baggage can be checked in ADDITION. (The Email was a little ambiguous)

HTH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.