Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Protected = if you miss your Miami flight you would be put onto the next available at no cost.

leaving the terminal is easy, you just follows the signs for arrivals. Once through the terminal and into the main arrivals area simply follow the signs for the Heathrow Express and take it one stop to Heathrow T2 and T3. Then go back through security.
For a passenger that’s transiting first time from T5 to T3, it’s better to follow the route planner https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections and stay within the terminal. As it’s a strike day getting back into Terminal 3 from the Heathrow Express (which is a fair walk) May have issues as entry may be restricted. If you take the internal transfer bus you are much safer and within the airport airside.

Edit: During the BA IT Meltdown of 2017, entry to T5 was being restricted with police at doors to departures area due to overcrowding. If you are already airside and transiting on same ticket with baggage already checked through to your international destination then it’s better to stay airside and use transit buses.
wrp96, KeaneJohn, Lefly and 2 others like this.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 2, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Just a brief update from me. Finally got hold of a BA Holidays agent at 7.30am today. At first I was given the standard line about my flights not being cancelled yet and to wait and see...

I persisted. It seemed the agent either didn't know that ba.com was offering re-booking for SH to avoid LHR on the affected dates, or had been told to try and put people off exercising that option. I explained that being in DUB on Monday is essential in order for us to make our TATL on Tuesday. Thanks to the invaluable advice on here to be prepared with options, I was able to provide her with times and flight numbers for our preferred alternative connection via LCY. As a result, we grabbed the last two available seats on the GLA-LCY leg, which will also give us an extra few hours to enjoy DUB on Monday

So, hopefully we'll be able to avoid what's increasingly looking like chaos in the making at LHR. Good luck to everyone caught up in the mess. Hope you all get where you need to be x
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
On the Manchester to Miami journey on Monday if either of the flights are cancelled the poster may want to consider calling BA and asking for rebooking on American Airlines AA735 (also code shared as BA1600) to Philadelphia and connecting there to AA2571 (BA1658) to Miami. There is also an option with Iberia Express to Madrid then onwards with Iberia or American.
nancypants and Sawyer38 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sawyer38
thank you but we have 5 kids with us they don’t have contactless cards
Originally Posted by lcylocal
There is no need for a contactless card when using the free Heathrow Express transfer. There is a machine which issues free tickets which operate the barriers.
On the landside trains the staff at the barriers will also simply hand you a blue inter-terminal ticket on request.

On the tube you best have a contactless / google pay / Oyster / Apple Pay thing of some sort, but for T3 you best use the train, it's less walking overall than the tube.

However this is all about going landside to T3, which I seriously would not recommend. It would be better to take the airside bus from T5 to T3, when you arrive at T5 you keep your eyes leftwards for Flight Connections T3. Do not follow the flock, look at the signs just after you get into the building to make sure it is good for T3. The bus service drivers airside are employed by Omniserv so I can't see why they would be on strike. You have plenty of time for the connection, if you get to the bus stop in T5 with more than 90 minutes to spare you can afford to miss a bus or two. I wouldn't worry too much, there's not much under your control here anyway.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann

Are you on the 10:40 MIA flight?
Are you?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish

Are you?
My attorney has advised me to neither confirm nor deny.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:04 pm

I'm on a First long-haul arriving into LHR early Monday morning, and have booked a separate Club Europe ticket departing LHR six hours after my arrival. Should the strike go forward, I'd obviously prefer to go from T3 to T5 airside: any sense as to whether BA are likely to exercise a bit of flexibility in checking bags through on separate tickets? I'm relocating, so have no flexibility to go without checked bags.

Unfortunately, BA doesn't serve my European destination from Gatwick, as otherwise I'd just head across London.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by makin'miles
any sense as to whether BA are likely to exercise a bit of flexibility in checking bags through on separate tickets?
I suspect they won't do that, I can't see any announcements on this. Furthermore I'm not sure you would want it. In theory your bags wouldn't have a problem arriving into LHR, and you have plenty of time for the transfer. Whereas there is a higher than average chance that bags would misconnect anyway on that day. So it would seem best to use the time to be sure you bags are known to be in LHR T3, since you took them there. It's always possible the check in agent in would be helpful and through check, it won't happen at JFK, but it may happen at some other airports, depending who is the BA handler.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by BKft
Heathrow has just updated the strike FAQ with details on "Travelling on a strike day - what you may notice and how you should prepare:"
And actually, this document does NOT say anything about reduced hand baggage allowances. In fact, the image on that document makes it quite clear that "two bags" are allowed.

So the one-bag policy seems to be a BA thing, rather than something mandated by the airport...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Finally the Mods have caught up and updated the thread title.

Thanks to the Moderators. You all do a great job

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 2, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Sawyer38
thank you but we have 5 kids with us they don’t have contactless cards
I cannot imagine living the lifestyle of an FT'er with 5 children - well done! Although if you don't have 5 contactless cards to spare, you should take a good hard look at your credit card churning strategy - I'm sure you've made a mistake somewhere...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:20 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Incoming JAL43 F T3 1550, connecting to BA95 J to YUL T5 1740 on Aug 6 should be interesting...

Guess I can say goodbye to my checked luggage as well. Avoided the strike on the way to Tokyo, guess we will see if my luck runs out!

Assuming BA will put me up in a hotel if I miss the flight? BA F award if it matters.

​​​​​EDIT:I I am in no rush to get home to be clear, will go with the flow as per BAEC's suggetion

​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Aug 2, 2019 at 5:50 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:29 pm
Suspended

You sound like someone who can go with the flow travelling in F. Nothing is confirmed yet.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 2, 2019 at 5:53 pm Reason: Rude
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by cauchy
And actually, this document does NOT say anything about reduced hand baggage allowances. In fact, the image on that document makes it quite clear that "two bags" are allowed.

So the one-bag policy seems to be a BA thing, rather than something mandated by the airport...
Looking at IB’s website and AA’s website (who frequently codeshare with BA) it appears that IB aren’t distinguishing between SH and LH flights or outbound vs inbound when it comes to rebooking, and AA may not be. SH outbound only for rebooking also seems to be a BA thing.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
I've got a flight out to Japan on BA Tuesday 6th AM on F. Bit confused by the notice - by the First Wing being closed I assume this is just the check in/security lane and not the entire lounge? I was hoping to get away without checked luggage as well - small laptop bag and overhead wheelie case - I guess I can have the argument with the security staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.